New Brush advice Please

Good Afternoon Gents,

I have been looking at buying a new Simpsons brush in Best for face lathering creams and have possibly got down to a choice of 3. The Duke 2 (or 3), 57 or the Commodore X2. I already own a X1 which I purchased about a month ago and find it a great little brush but wish I'de bought something slightly bigger it also seems to hog the lather a little. My first BB brush which I have held onto is a Edwin Jagger Med and the loft on this is 53mm, now it has bloomed after lots of use it seems slightly 'too' big for my taste but still useable. This is why I have been looking at around a 47mm loft.
I have heard great things about the Duke series and wondered whether I would notice much difference going up to the Commodore X2(?). With the 57 though, I'm thinking, do I want to pay the extra £30 odd pound for the nice handle?
My next brush needs to be for daily use and sits nice in the hand and not be too floppy (I owned a BBR Corsair in Super once and it flopped all over the place).

Any Suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the brushes you have mentioned; however, my favourite all round Simpson's brush in best is The Colonel 2XL. I find The Colonel is the perfect size, has soft tips, has good flow through and just the right amount of backbone; moreover, it is attractively priced. BTW, I lather on my face exclusively and use shaving cream 95% of the time.

Thanks Rufus. I like the look of the commodore handle better than the colonel but worth considering. How long have you had the X2L? Have you tried any others? I saw a brush comparison of the 2xL against a 58. The 58 looked nice but it's about twice as much ?

Any other suggestions folks? I'm wondering whether there is anything in the hype of the chubbies and dukes? Or should I also be looking at other makes too for face lathering creams? Do far added the 2xl on my short list [emoji6]

The tubby 2 looks interesting Shemen, heard good things about them, do you have one? Sorry Lb1, didn't like the marvel effect personally but thanks for the offer.

AKH8039 said:
The tubby 2 looks interesting Shemen, heard good things about them, do you have one? Sorry Lb1, didn't like the marvel effect personally but thanks for the offer.

No problem, hope you find one you like :)

AKH8039 said:
Thanks Rufus. I like the look of the commodore handle better than the colonel but worth considering. How long have you had the X2L? Have you tried any others? I saw a brush comparison of the 2xL against a 58. The 58 looked nice but it's about twice as much ?

I see a couple of recommendations for New Forest Brushes. I own a NF Tubby 2 super 2-band and a NF finest Silvertip and they are excellent brushes. In terms of price, quality and performance New Forest Brushes can't be beat.

As concerns my Simpson's brushes, I own 8:

The Colonel 2XL in best
Wee Scot in best
Duke 2 (Somerset) in pure
QE II Jubilee in Manchurian
Tulip 2 in super 3-band
Emperor 2 in super 3-band
Polo 8 in super 2-band
P 8 Phyl in best (aTSN LE)

I love them all, but in terms of price, quality and performance you can't beat the best knot, especially in The Colonel. I've owned my Colonel for nearly 2 years. (BTW, I've been so impressed with my Colonel that I've promoted him to Major General.)

Thanks for that post Rufus, the Tubby 2 recommended by Shemus looks good and a good price but I could get my daughter to get me the Colonel 2XL for Fathers Day. Somehow I think iM going to get addicted to buying and trying brushes in the same way I have shaving creams. I have 2 brushes on eBay at the mo. A Corsair and a Executive shaving brush in super.

AKH8039 said:
Thanks for that post Rufus, the Tubby 2 recommended by Shemus looks good and a good price but I could get my daughter to get me the Colonel 2XL for Fathers Day. Somehow I think iM going to get addicted to buying and trying brushes in the same way I have shaving creams. I have 2 brushes on eBay at the mo. A Corsair and a Executive shaving brush in super.

The Colonel would make an excellent Fathers' Day present.

I think you've already contracted SBAD. It's very insidious and next to impossible to shake. I remember that only a few short years ago I owned just 2 brushes; one for home use and the other for travel use. At the last count I'm currently up to 24 and there are 2 more that I'm seriously considering buying. But you know, I derive great pleasure from acquiring and using new brushes, and that's what it's all about.

Just had a shave with my Edwin Jagger med in best this morning and as it is well worn in, slightly seemed 'too' big for face lathering, though did create some great lather. My only concern about the NF Tubby 2 is the loft and would it bloom and cover my face like the EJ. I have been assured by the guy at NF it won't though. I have never had any experience of Super 2 bands, so not sure wether to go this route(?). I find a 'Best' gives that slight exfoliation feel without being too scratchy and when worn in is about the right kind of softness for me. The Corsair that I'm selling, besides being too floppy was slightly too soft. Anyway so far I have the Colonel, 57 or one of the Dukes in my site...decisions, decisions [emoji33]

'Best' differs between all makers. My EJ best is nothing like my Simpsons best which has much softer tips and a nice level of backbone. If the handle of the New Forest brush I had was a bit longer (my own fault) I would have kept it. The hair (super badger) had nice soft tips with a small bit of scritch and a good level of backbone. I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed.

I've a ton of brushes.. Simpson, Rooney, Shavemac, Neeps etc.

I bought a 23mm Edwin Jagger synthetic last week (purely out of curiousity) and it is simply outstanding. It's just a dream for lathering even the most awkward of products. Far superior to the Simpson Chubby synthetic too, which is a pretty decent brush also once you get used to it.

AKH8039 said:
Just had a shave with my Edwin Jagger med in best this morning and as it is well worn in, slightly seemed 'too' big for face lathering, though did create some great lather. My only concern about the NF Tubby 2 is the loft and would it bloom and cover my face like the EJ. I have been assured by the guy at NF it won't though. I have never had any experience of Super 2 bands, so not sure wether to go this route(?). I find a 'Best' gives that slight exfoliation feel without being too scratchy and when worn in is about the right kind of softness for me. The Corsair that I'm selling, besides being too floppy was slightly too soft. Anyway so far I have the Colonel, 57 or one of the Dukes in my site...decisions, decisions [emoji33]

Two band finest is the way to go, either a Tubby or Duke 2/3.

A Duke 3 2B for me is almost the perfect brush, right size (handle & knot) , good density and firm with soft tips so it won't mop all over the face.

OR I like the WSP from Lee if you're on a lesser budget ( + import duty).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wet-Shaving-Products-The-Prince-Finest-2-Band-Silvertip-Badger-Shaving-Brush-/301008062000?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item46157a8630

Back
Top Bottom