Need a straight expert or two for an unexpected purchase! THANK YOU UKROB!!!

I was out mooching around a local table top sale and came across this. No I know nothing about straights but as I plan to start straight shaving (getting very good with the shavette now) I thought I wasn't risking much for five british pounds.

Now is it likely that this razor can be brought back to something useable and if it is, where can I send it? I haven't got a clue about honing and stropping so I need to know what shave ready actually means before I start down that particular road,

I hadn't been planning on starting right now but as this was just there I thought I wasn't risking much for five quid plus maybe it's a sign from the shaving gods to just crack on with it!

Attachments

• 20140706_194339.jpg
    20140706_194339.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20140706_194447.jpg
    20140706_194447.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 92
  • 20140706_194508.jpg
    20140706_194508.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 94
RE: Need a straight expert or two for an unexpected purchase!

Looks like a perfectly usable razor. There are no signs of unusual hone wear on either the spine or edge and just a little rust to clear up. A bargain in my opinion. If you want a quick clean over I.e. Without taking the blade out of the scales - plus honing send me a pm

Thanks Rob, such great advice and help here!

I was planning on starting my straight journey a little later but this seemed an easy decision for a fiver.

PM on it's way!

Well it's just good fortune if it's rescuable, I have no idea what constitutes decent condition for a straight! But it was worth it for that money, he wanted £15 but I weren't gonna pay that and nor was anyone else there today. Just me and about 100 old ladies!

mr..bean said:
Well it's just good fortune if it's rescuable, I have no idea what constitutes decent condition for a straight! But it was worth it for that money, he wanted £15 but I weren't gonna pay that and nor was anyone else there today. Just me and about 100 old ladies!

To my somewhat novice eyes its looks like a good bye to me, even £15 would have hardly been a rip off, send it to Rob and then enjoy it

Very nice looking razor and for only a fiver too!

Once you get it back nicely honed, you will need to get a strop, you are on the slippery slope for sure!

Lucky devil. I never have any luck at sales.

I'm sure you will have a nice shaver once you get it back.

Parwin said:
Lucky devil. I never have any luck at sales.

I'm sure you will have a nice shaver once you get it back.

Nor do I, I was due one!

Sent to Rob today, need to run over to ebay now for a strop!

In my humble opinion the Kropp is a great straight, and under priced generally. They clean up well, hone easily and shave great.

You have a bargain there, and Rob will do a stunning job on it I am certain.

Good luck on your straight road!

UKRob, you are a STAR! Thank you so much.

My five quid straight now looks like it's worth at least a tenner! Thank you.

I'm gonna strop it carefully next week when I get back and probably use it for the first time next weekend. It is good timing because the pass around straight should be landing with me next week so I will have two to try at the same time!

Thank you Rob!

Attachments

• 20140715_185223.jpg
    20140715_185223.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20140715_185239.jpg
    20140715_185239.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 23
mr..bean said:
UKRob, you are a STAR! Thank you so much.

My five quid straight now looks like it's worth at least a tenner! Thank you.

I'm gonna strop it carefully next week when I get back and probably use it for the first time next weekend. It is good timing because the pass around straight should be landing with me next week so I will have two to try at the same time!

Thank you Rob!

Hell i'll give you 11 quid ;)

but seriously..... I would stick with one razor for several shaves, swapping between them for your initial shaves is probably not a great idea. it will take a bit to get used to straight use - some razors vary enough to require slight alteration to angles and pressure.

Back
Top Bottom