Need a brush.... help welcomed.

First, ask the older members of your family if they have any old shaving brushes. About half of my shaving brushes are ones I bought or that belonged to family members and are each over fifty years old.

First, ask the older members of your family if they have any old shaving brushes. About half of my shaving brushes are ones I bought or that belonged to family members and are each over fifty years old.
I know my grandad had some but other male relations are all foam from the can kinda guys. I'm branching out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I know my grandad had some but other male relations are all foam from the can kinda guys. I'm branching out!

You might be surprised. Not long ago I found a couple cardboard boxes all packed away that had razors and brushes and other "junk" in them that were packed away by my parents or grandparents and ended up stored in with a bunch of other boxes of junk.

What kind of brush are you looking for?
Animal hair or synthetic? Size? Budget?

There are plenty of posts on the forum on the subject as well as youtube videos where you can find a lot of advices.

I can say for a beginer a sytnhetic 24 mm is really really good and there are plenty of choices. Synthetic doesn't require any preparation, so called "break-in", you don't have to soak it and they look the same no matter the age. They are easiest to handle in my opinion plus they are cheap.
Some examples: Maggard synthetic, Razorock plissoft...
You can buy a Yaqi brush from aliexpress for 10 USD.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I would definitely invest in a badger a boar and a synthetic for synthetic I would go with the real tuxedo 26 mm to 30 mm you can get from Yaqi
There are many boar brushes but Omega is on the stiff side semogue on the soft side
As far as Badger goes try and get the best you can high mountain white or silver tip.
After you experience those 3 I could probably guarantee you you'll love the synthetic tuxedo the best

Hey chaps,
Looking for a brush and would like some tips from you all, if you're willing.
Many thanks!
S.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Lots to go on. Think I'll go for synthetic to begin with...can't remember if badger hair is on the list of things I'm allergic to or not...don't come across it that often!

Greetings

I too would suggest a Synthetic, there are now literally dozens of very good ones on the market and they vary in price from reasonably cheap through fairly cheap to dirt cheap and 90% of them are very good indeed.

A word on knot size, 24/25mm knot is generally considered the standard modern shaving brush size; it is certainly the size most sold and the size you will find the most availability in. A 26mm brush is large and bigger than that is very large indeed, IMHO and it is just my opinion 30mm knots are totally impractical for face shaving, a knot that big splayed out (especially a synthetic one) is about the size of a saucer and would be great for lathering up your entire face chest and bollocks, or you can use it for face shaving and fill up your ears and nose with lather.

Many very experienced shavers on here will argue differently but I strongly suspect the majority prefer about a 24mm knot and that is the size I would suggest you try first.

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

I too would suggest a Synthetic, there are now literally dozens of very good ones on the market and they vary in price from reasonably cheap through fairly cheap to dirt cheap and 90% of them are very good indeed.

A word on knot size, 24/25mm knot is generally considered the standard modern shaving brush size; it is certainly the size most sold and the size you will find the most availability in. A 26mm brush is large and bigger than that is very large indeed, IMHO and it is just my opinion 30mm knots are totally impractical for face shaving, a knot that big splayed out (especially a synthetic one) is about the size of a saucer and would be great for lathering up your entire face chest and bollocks, or you can use it for face shaving and fill up your ears and nose with lather.

Many very experienced shavers on here will argue differently but I strongly suspect the majority prefer about a 24mm knot and that is the size I would suggest you try first.

Regards
Dick.
Very true but very funny! :)

Proraso brush, very good, not too big-not too small, inexpensive, great performance. In my opinion one of the best brush, simply you can't go wrong with this brush if you use soap or cream, face or bowl lather.

If you want to try a badger brush I recommend the Simpson Colonel 2XL with a best badger knot. I regard it as the Goldilocks of shaving brushes: not too big, not too small; not too dense; not floppy, but not stiff; soft tips; and priced just right. It's a very high quality brush with a pleasing aesthetic. I'm not a fan of synthetics although I do have a Muhle silvertip fibre for travel because it dries quickly. I like boars; Semogue and Omega make quality ones that are very well priced. I don't get along with horse. In the final analysis, after +50 years of shaving, a quality badger is my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom