Nas Drives

So here it is. As techy as I am I have no clue about these.

What I want to do is to have photos, video and music in one place.. Be able to access them around the house and remotely if need be. Needs to be simple for the rest of the family (but can have complicated bits for me, lol).

When viewing the movies and stuff would like to do it through my kodi if possible.

One drive would be fine as all my stuff would be backed up on an external drive and kept somewhere else for safety

Also can these things have tv tuners plugged into them so I can live tv?

Any help from you experienced guys would be great.

No expert but almost any NAS will do the first bit, for serving TV just make sure whatever you choose it can support the appropriate software like DVB link server.

http://dvblogic.com/en/dvblink/

For Kodi access I just create a file path to the appropriate NAS folder, it'll recognise it when networked.

Last edited:
I use a NAS box.

My set up is, Fibre connected to an Ethernet box, giving me eight Ethernet sockets. The NAS is plugged in to the Ethernet box as is the Sky box, TV etc.

For Kodi I stream through my Mac Mini, again Mac Mini connected via Ethernet . But having the NAS attached to this network means any device once connected to the wifi can access anything on the NAS. A Simple set up which works for me.

I also back up the NAS to a separate storage device. The NAS has 1TB but is expandable by another 1 TB. Yes I could use it wifi and perhaps do away with the Ethernet box, but I prefer the hard wired connection.

I highly recommend Synology products. I use a DS214play for similar uses but I don't have any other computer so I needed this model to transcode video content to my TV, iPhone & iPad.

Yes transcoding, thats the other thing.

Other than lowering the bitrate for when I want to watch things away from my home network when else would I need to transcode?

Yes transcoding, thats the other thing.

Other than lowering the bitrate for when I want to watch things away from my home network when else would I need to transcode?

If you want to watch a video that the device your viewing on doesn't support you will need transcoding or use Plex connected to a computer to do the heavy lifting for you.

Ok. Been looking more into this. I think I may have to use a pc as my nas drive in order to get everything I need as there are too many variables with buying a dedicated unit. Some will do some of the things I want, others will do other things

Will update this thread when I get things running, in the meantime if anyone has any other ideas feel free to share

Had a look at the QNAP offerings?
Ive been running a QNAP NAS for a few years and it has been great. Once setup it sits there quietly and does what I need without fuss.
I stream films and music from it using TWONKY server (supplied)

The newer models I suspect are a lot more capable, if required.

Had a look at the QNAP offerings?
Ive been running a QNAP NAS for a few years and it has been great. Once setup it sits there quietly and does what I need without fuss.
I stream films and music from it using TWONKY server (supplied)

The newer models I suspect are a lot more capable, if required.

Yea I checked out the qnap and synology. They both look very good.

I got an acer revo just sitting here though so am going to attempt to do something with that first.

Sounds kind of like you want a PC as a server, attached to the network. This isn't a great area of my knowledge but sounds like a fun project!

Back
Top Bottom