Nanny's Warm Spice Cream Sample

Hardware

Edwin Jagger DE89L (Closed Comb)
Red Personna Blade (new)

Mühle R41 (Open Comb)
Derby Extra Blade (new)

I used the hardware on alternative days starting with the Jagger.

Brush. Edwin Jagger medium pure badger, used each day

Post Shave. Tabac AS & Nivea ASB mix, used each day.

Lathering Method. Bowl, used each day

Latherability. It took a couple of days to get the balance of cream quantity and amount of water needed for optimum performance but once that was understood the cream provided a great long lasting lather; it had nice viscosity and was easy to apply.

Shave Quality. All three pass shaves. Most excellent, the cushioning was terrific and no nicks or cuts to report. My face felt extremely smooth afterwards and for the rest of the day actually. Very pleased indeed.

Scent. Frankly it was little heavy for me. Some will love it, I was not too sure, however awful it is not; we're all just different but by day four I became accustomed to it and it was growing on me.

Bottle. 30ml and very handy for travelling. Getting the cream out of it was a bit of a pain till I removed the (technical term time:) small aperture thingy, after which it worked a treat.

Cost. As advertised on Nanny's website it is attractive.

Would I Recommend? Yes, strongly, based on shaving efficacy. My opinion of the scent is entirely subjective and personal.

Would I Buy? Yes, like a shot if it had a different scent. (Please do me a Violet version for the Summer, Sharon).

I hope this helps?

:shave

Here's my review of the same cream sample, received with thanks from Sharon.

First off, I love the little travel tube. Unlike Blyth Spirit, I didn't have an issue getting the cream out over the three consecutive days that I trialled it. (I have to admit that I do have large hands, so perhaps that helped!) It's an ideal size for popping in your travel-bag and it won't take up any room at all.

Scent - this one bugged me for hours after opening the tube. The scent was good & strong, which is something I look for in a cream. None of this namby-pamby stuff that's faded by the time you're on your last pass - this is super-strength olfactory ambrosia! But what WAS the main note in the scent? I knew it; I was really familiar with it; I really liked it and it made me - strangely - feel very hungry all of a sudden. I raked through the kitchen trying desperately to shake the synapses into action & perhaps remember what that smell was, but in the end I resorted to emailing Sharon. "Cardamom", came the reply. Of course!! My Indian Cookery course came flooding back, as did the realisation that my recent scent memories came from the sweets brought in by our Indian contractors. I can see that this cream might not be to everyone's taste scent-wise, but it really presses my buttons and I have to resist the urge to lick the lather off my upper lip as I shave :hungrig

Lathering - took until day two goes to get the water / cream mixture right. It seems a little more thirsty than my other creams, and the cream dollop actually seemed to harden a little in the bottom of the bowl and stick to it once the water was applied. Did anyone else notice/experience that? No matter though, as I could see it and I was able to pump and swirl away at it until it was all 'dissolved'.

Application - it looked and felt a little on the thin side applied to the face, yet it still managed to provide a lovely cushion between the razor and the skin. I proved that to myself by wiping some onto the back of my hand and running my finger over it; it felt almost as if there was foam rubber on my skin pushing my finger back. Quite an incredible feeling really, but it proved that my impression of 'thinness' was completely wrong. (I really must get my eyes tested again soon...)

The shaves - excellent; Nanny's cream is up there with the best of them. Smooth, nick-free for the most part (and those were my fault, not the cream's!) and my skin was left feeling moisturised before I applied any post-shave treatments.

Like Blyth Spirit - would I buy some? Undoubtedly. Any cream that performs that well AND makes me hungry is a winner in my book! Once I finish the sample off, I'll be paying Nanny's Silly Soap website a wee visit to stock up on more. :D

Thanks to all who have posted reviews (there's another thread on the 'shaving creams' section); I'm delighted that it seems to be doing what it should so far.
I would be curious to know how long these little tubes last; I can also get them in 50ml sizes (as compared to these 30ml ones) - can you take 50ml in hand luggage, and would the 30ml be likely to last a fortnight's holiday?
Any thoughts or comments on the size and longevity welcome.

I've tried it a few times and really have nothing much to add to the previous reviews.

I find that for a cream it is pretty thirsty and I don't really like the "soap" smell in it. The spice smell is fine. Kinda smells like a spicy milky tea (an indian tea I once had).

Other than that this cream is a very good performer.

soapalchemist said:
Thanks to all who have posted reviews (there's another thread on the 'shaving creams' section); I'm delighted that it seems to be doing what it should so far.
I would be curious to know how long these little tubes last; I can also get them in 50ml sizes (as compared to these 30ml ones) - can you take 50ml in hand luggage, and would the 30ml be likely to last a fortnight's holiday?
Any thoughts or comments on the size and longevity welcome.

Personally I'd prefer a 50ml. Better safe than sorry!

;)

lagaffe said:
First off, I love the little travel tube. Unlike Blyth Spirit, I didn't have an issue getting the cream out over the three consecutive days that I trialled it. (I have to admit that I do have large hands, so perhaps that helped!)

Don't get me wrong Lagaffe, it came out all right but in a thin stringy form which caused me some concern as to whether I had squeezed too much or too little. Without the doofah it was much easier to judge volume.

It just reminded me of the soap they used to use in my primary school when I was growing up.

The performance of the cream outweighs the smell though ;)

I have made unscented bar soaps, but they don't smell of nothing at all, they do have that smell of soap that I don't think there is any way to get rid of. Probably the syn det soaps don't have it as they are not using much if any natural ingredients like vegetable oils. When I started experimenting with making soap, I did use lard....that really does get a whiff of bacon after a while. So count yourself lucky Andy, it could have been a whole lot worse. :lol:

soapalchemist said:
I did use lard....that really does get a whiff of bacon after a while. So count yourself lucky Andy, it could have been a whole lot worse. :lol:

I like bacon....... hmmmmmmm bacon :hungrig, the slayer of vegetarians ;) :roll:

Back
Top Bottom