Nannys Sillysoap - Citrus Zinger

This is the second soap from our very own Soapalchemist and the first one Ive tried. I ordered this the beginning of the Christmas week and it was dispatched and received very quickly, I received it on Christmas Eve so was a nice early christmas prezzie to myself.

On opening this soap I noticed that it was quite mallable, it has a wonderful citrus scent which initially smelt very lemony to me, I love lemon and citrus scents so this was a winner straight away, but the scent changed as I lathered up and I got woody and spicey notes from the soap, I find this scent a little cologne like aswell, it is not at all "Floor Cleaner" like Ive found in other soaps/Creams, a fragrance up there with the best of them IMHO.

I found the soap lathered easily and I got a good thick, dense lather that felt great going on to my face and lasted, my shave was execellent with no irritation fromthe soap and my face felt very fresh and moisturized afterwards, I could still smell the scent after Id rinsed my face aswell.

This soap is easily as good as anything I've tried and I would definatley recommend it.

Thanks Soapalchemist for your persistance in getting your prouduct right,can't wait to try your future soaps.

Thank you so much LT; it really warms the cockles of my soap making heart when I hear that people are happy with the product.
I have another batch of Sandalwoody curing at the moment, and can't make up my mind what scent to do next; I'm torn between Warm Spice which some members have had before in a a previous less successful ;) attempt, or what I am now calling Lavender and Sweet Orange. Just made a batch of that in bar soap yesterday, and I love the smell. It also has some Patchouli (no yoghurt knitting or sandal comments please) and Palmarosa. The overall effect is a very fresh soapy smell.
I might just do both, Bay Rum still being beyond my capabilities.

Just used the Citrus soap

Once again the service from Sharon was great received over Christmas period in two days.

The soap itself is the best I have used great smell. lathers easily but the feeling of softness on your face after the shave is very good.

It came in a metal container to be used for traveling but it is great to hold in the hand to lather with.

After using many of the soaps on the market this is without doubt the best I have used

Valuer

Thank you Valuer, you have made my day. Sales have slowed down recently, I suppose everyone is tightening their belts after Christmas......so I was beginning to think nobody loved me any more. :(

This is more a plea for help than a review as I am sure that the fault lies with me.

New tin of said zinger arrived today, eagearly took it to the bathroom and followed my normal (inexperienced) preshave procedure. Soaked brush (Vulfix 404) in hot water for 5 mins, hot towel for a minute or 2 followed by a touch of tea tree hair conditioner to soften things up.

Opened tin and wow what a lovely scent, squeezed out the brush and loaded up with a good few swirls and applied to my face to begin my usual face lathering (I usually use a stick Erasmic/Tabac/Boots/Palmolive grated in a bowl). I rubbed it on my face all over and then began adding water to the brush tips and scrubbed like a good 'un. Added more water and repeated. Resulting lather was thin and patchy so added more soap and repeated. Got a decent looking cover and started to shave. By the time I finished one cheek, the lather on the other had diminished.

Reapplied from brush and carried on shaving. Only enough lather for 2 passes so had to reapply for a final pass.

Shave was nice and smooth with no soreness and I loved the smell. Can anyone advise me as to what I have done wrong as I know it is me and not the product from other feedback Sharon has received.

Any advice gratefully received and I promise to report back with a proper review when I have mastered the correct technique.

Mate, sounds like the same issue i had at first. You need to load up the brush longer. Spend a good 30 or more seconds loading up, with a dryer brush than normal and it should work fine. I don't face lather though, but use a scuttle (or a mug) so not sure if that makes a difference?

Cheers,

Hi KRF,

The way I lather up with all of my soaps and creams including this one and always seem to get a great lather is as follows:

I place my brush in hot water and let it sit for a good 3-4 minutes (normally hot water straight from the kettle), I then remove the brush and give it a few shakes (like in the mantic vids, and a few less shakes if a boar brush over a badger) never ever have squeezed my brushes, I then hit the soap for about 15-20 seconds and then go straight to the face and lather, I lather for a good few minutes until all of the wispy lather has turned into a nice thick shaving creamy lather and then go ahead and shave, Ive never had lather go wispy and weak this way either and always lasts throughout the shave.

Hope this helps

The London Turk

Greetings Gentlemen,
I think from what I have seen on the Mantic videos that you do need to load the brush more heavily with my soap. I too use a bowl for testing my soap out, as I really don't fancy rubbing a brush vigorously on my face....although it might be good for it. Certainly when I build the lather in a bowl I can leave it there for 20 minutes with no noticable deterioration. Having said that, I am waiting for some ingredients at the moment and when they arrive, I intend to do some more experimentation to try to improve the recipe further, but without adding detergents etc.
AJP, following your approval of the new tin, I ordered a load of them and they arrived today. They don't look exactly the same as the one you had, but so far the lids seem to be a good fit, and they look good. I was delighted to find that they are each in individual sturdy brown craft boxes, that will look the business when they have labels on them. I can see them now sitting on a shop shelf somewhere.......

JaesB, unfortunately the new recipe (which I hope to improve further) is only available in the Citrus Zinger; because it is a softer soap, and also because it is not in a pourable state when it is finished, due to using a different method to heretofore, I couldn't pour it into my pipe mould that I used previously for the round pucks. And even if I could have battered it down into the pipe, I think it would be too soft to cut into bars. So that is a very long way of saying I'm afraid not. I am however keen to continue doing bars/pucks if at all possible, and am waiting for some ingredients which might possibly enable me to do them in the future with the new method and new recipe. But I will have to see what the outcome of my further experiments is.

Ta for the advice all, I knew it was me and not the soap.

Another vote for the tin Sharon, it is a lovely shiney solid mass that fits beautifully on the palm of the hand.

Will report back following my next shave.

Back
Top Bottom