Mystery Photo.

Bob said:
Vetinari said:
What is the other side of the fence?

Just wondering if there could have been anything for the moon to reflect in. The object on the left does look very 'planet' like and is interesting in that there appears to be a slight halo which extends further towards the bottom right than it does in other directions.

There is just a road beyond the fence and then some trees. In order to load the photo to this site I had to reduce its definition but I agree with you about the halo. I've just looked at the original again and it is there as well. The only difference is with the small object in that the "pulses" in its tail are more pronounced.

If it's a road, is there a possibility that an out of service bus (i.e. with it's internal lights out), was passing and the moon reflected in one of the (misted or dirty) windows? This was the thought that made me ask what was beyond the fence.

The object to the right could be a reflection in a curved surface.

It's hard to make any sense of the images other than as reflections because of the asymmetric halo of the one on the left (i.e. not an out of focus effect, not motion blur and not a mist halo [which would tend to be be symmetrical]). The moon reflected in a dirty or misted up window would work because the asymmetry could be accounted for by uneven dirt or misting.

Vetinari said:
Bob said:
Vetinari said:
What is the other side of the fence?

Just wondering if there could have been anything for the moon to reflect in. The object on the left does look very 'planet' like and is interesting in that there appears to be a slight halo which extends further towards the bottom right than it does in other directions.

There is just a road beyond the fence and then some trees. In order to load the photo to this site I had to reduce its definition but I agree with you about the halo. I've just looked at the original again and it is there as well. The only difference is with the small object in that the "pulses" in its tail are more pronounced.

If it's a road, is there a possibility that an out of service bus (i.e. with it's internal lights out), was passing and the moon reflected in one of the (misted or dirty) windows? This was the thought that made me ask what was beyond the fence.

The object to the right could be a reflection in a curved surface.

It's hard to make any sense of the images other than as reflections because of the asymmetric halo of the one on the left (i.e. not an out of focus effect, not motion blur and not a mist halo [which would tend to be be symmetrical]). The moon reflected in a dirty or misted up window would work because the asymmetry could be accounted for by uneven dirt or misting.

Reflections are a good point but given that our house and fence are on raised land we are above any passing traffic. In fact the upper deck of a bus would not be seen. I've just been outside to where I was standing to check if any windows or reflective surfaces were around me but there is only the brick wall of the house, the fence and trellissing where we have green growing things all over it. I have heard of but never seen Ball Lightning, don't know if that was a possibility but it was a dry clear night - its a mystery!

Back
Top Bottom