My TOBS troubles

Hi guys,

I hope you are all enjoying the festive season. I've consumed enough mince pies to last until next year :hungrig

I've had some trouble with my Taylor of Old Bond St shaving brush. I bought it around a year ago from the TOBS store in the Selfridges department store in London. It was my first proper brush, and what a brush it was! Among all the ivory-coloured brushes I saw that day, there was this gorgeous, ebony-handled brush sticking out like a sore thumb. It was the only one they had. The store had a major sale on at the time with 30 - 50% off many items. I asked the helpful sales assistant if the black beauty would be on offer as it had the original price of £96/£98 sticker on it. He said there'd be no chance as it was a rare brush and would not be on any of the sale offers. I thought I'd check to be sure and took it to the till to be scanned. It was on offer! I just had to have it and I paid ~ £50 for it. I remember it well because it was the first time I used my credit card. lol. I also bought some cream and a brush stand along with the brush.

Many great shaves followed. Soaps, creams, it could handle them all. It was a densely-filled silver tip with a luxurious, scrubby, but not scratchy feel, and with a fantastic backbone. Perfect for a face-latherer like me who uses soaps.

About a month ago, during a routine shave, the knot fell out! :shock: I was on my last pass and heard a 'mini-thud'. I looked down to see that the knot had come out of the handle and fallen into the sink. I rinsed the knot + handle and dried them on a towel as usual and left the 2 separate parts to dry. I returned in the afternoon and found tear lines forming on the handle. My beloved brush :( It had never been used in any inappropriate manner - after paying (what I thought was a lot at the time), I was most careful with it. Always rinsed and towel dried, and then left to hand facing down in a stand.

I'm really fond of the knot. So, I was going to contact the brush makers on our site to see if they could fix the knot into another handle for me. Brushmaker and forum regular, Chris(user: Neocaligatio), told me my TOBS brush really shouldn't have come out and that I should contact the company.

So, I sent off a quick email explaining the problem and got a reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail which we accept but we have never had this problem before.

Please could you return the Shaving Brush to the address below at your earliest convenience so we can resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Kind Regards

I sent it off Registered post and a 10 days later I received an email from TOBS:

I can confirm that your Shaving Brush is repaired and is ready for dispatch.

The service and Post & Packaging (Registered Delivery) cost £12.00 GBP.

Please could you e-mail us your Credit Card details (Card Number, Expiry Date...

I thought £12 was a bit unfair considering I took the utmost care of it during use. I also rotated it with other brushes, so in actual fact, it probably got about 4-5 months of regular use. Not wanting to get into a back-and-forth argument, I paid up.

This is what I saw when I opened the package I received a few days later:
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]

There's also another thinner crack on the other side of the handle
[attachment=0]

They had glued the handle back together with the knot in, and polished the handle. If I used the 'repaired' brush, it was likely to come apart in a few months time, thereby, requiring me to fork out another £12 + p+p costs for it to be 'repaired'. I emailed them these pictures and told them I was disappointed by the customer service, especially since I had recommended Taylors to many people.

I got a reply from a different person this time:

Dear Sir,

Further to your email, and having taken into consideration your comments.

Unfortunately, a wooden-handled shaving brush does not last as long as an Imitation Ivory.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, we are happy to exchange the brush for one of equal value in Imitation Ivory.

Kindest Regards,

Barry Klein
Taylor of Old Bond Street
74 Jermyn Street...

I replied today:

Dear Mr Klein,

Thank you for your response.

The brush I bought, which fell apart, is a medium-large size brush and it comes with densely-filled silver tip badger hair. The brush has a very good 'backbone' for soaps.

Do you have replacement brush that closely matches this criteria?
As these are the only types of brushes I use: densely-filled silver tips with great backbone.

Any other type of brush, regardless of value, will be a terrible waste as it will not suit my needs.

Thank you

I received a quick reply:

Thank you for your reply.

Please send back the Brush to the Address below and I will try my best to get an alternative material handle with a similar size brush.

Kindest Regards,

Barry Klein
Taylor of Old Bond Street
74 Jermyn Street,
St James's, London...

I had a look at TOBS website and it looks like they've stopped selling silvertips :evil: I hope I don't get a giant scratchy pure badger...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/shaving-brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatal ... ushes.html</a><!-- m --> - Or, is super badger the same as Silvertip?

I will send the brush tomorrow for the second time. Adding the postage costs to the £12 I have already paid for the original 'repair' + the original price I paid for the brush, the total comes to around £70. I've also been without my brush for over a month now.

I was hoping the brush would last longer than ~ a year. Is that unreasonable? Hopefully, it gets sorted soon, but I am not holding my breath.

Exasperated,

Sonny

Attachments

• TOBS Brush Crack 1.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 277
  • TOBS Brush Crack 1 Close Up.jpg
  • TOBS Brush Crack 2.jpg
take the knot out and send them it back with a knot you do not like as much as then you will get the best of both worlds. :roll:

If they are prepared to not stand up to there side of the bargain why should you. Also if they say a wooden handled brush is not suitable for shaving ask why the are selling goods "not fit for purpose"

They'd probably notice that. Agree about the not fit for purpose.

Will send a letter/note with the brush tomorrow - not very good at these sorts of things. Usually end up making it sound as if it's my blimmin fault. What's that about a British person not good at complaining...lol

That's seems poor customer service Sonny. At the least I would have expected them to stick the knot into a new handle. Also they should have informed you off the cost before undertaking the work. Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

I agree, fitting a new handle would have been the correct thing to do, I suppose they needed to be told exactly what you wanted.
Nonetheless, I'm surprised they didn't try to glue the cracks in the handle and squeeze it together or at least attempt to fill them. Have a word with Beejay or Arrowhead, if it's possible to fix it cosmetically they could point you in the right direction. You've gone as far as you can with TOB's in that they've now offered you are replacement, trouble is the replacement brush might not be what you want or as good as what you have and so it continues.

Sonny.
This link will give you an explanation of the sale of goods act,it also gives a letter template to use to make your complaint.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... goods-act/</a><!-- m -->

Dave.

This is a tough problem there Sonny :?

Like you have already mentioned, the replacement they send could be a load of tosh, compared to what you are giving up.

Agreed, neither could i send back another knot in its place - although you have to wonder whether they would even notice, judging by their efforts thus far.

I would personally bite the bullet and get someone more trustworthy (Neo, Henk, Beejay....etc) to do it right, and chalk it up to fingers burnt - lesson learnt!! :|

Or option 3 since they sold you goods with substandard materials and also charged you for a substandard repair. You will be having a proper repair done by a competent person as they have all ready showed they are not, and you assume they will be picking up the bill for this.

option 4 would be if someone on here was local to them you could post them the brush to them then they could call in and try to sort it out for you/match the knot with a new brush!

just a thought!! :D

Thanks guys for all the info and web links. I've replied to say i'd like the option of being able to take my knot back if I am not happy with their replacement brush.

I originally planned to get one of the skilled brushmakers on our site to make me a brush, however after firing off a quick email to TOBS, I ended up dealing with them.

Will keep you updated, and will definately include one final strong letter with the brush.

That's terrible customer service.

Seems as though you have done most of the leg work, when they should have been chasing YOU to resolve the problem.
If a fit for purpose repair was not possible, as is the case, then a replacement brush of similar spec is the very least they should do.
I know brushes can cost a lot more, but £50 odd Pounds is a lot of money for a shaving brush and you do not expect it to fail after such short use.

This reminds me of when I worked part time at John Lewis whilst studying and our manager use to hammer customer service into us. I'd assume an established brand like Taylor's would have a high level of customer service.

My sister was and still is in London for the new year fireworks. I was trying to decide between Taylor's rose or Trumpers rose cream. After reading this, I'll tell her to go for the Trumpers. From the reviews, I see their coconut is supposed to be very good too. Must resist... must resist.

Rocky said:
That's terrible customer service.
Seems as though you have done most of the leg work, when they should have been chasing YOU to resolve the problem.
If a fit for purpose repair was not possible, as is the case, then a replacement brush of similar spec is the very least they should do.
...you do not expect the brush to fail after such short use.

+1

Any update on the brush?

It doesn't matter whether you buy an item on a 'buy now pay later basis', if it came free or you got it on sale. It should still last a reasonable amount of time.

I'd assume those cracks formed after the knot fell out as the waer would have got in...

Two quick examples of good sevice I received.

1. I bought an edwin jagger/muhle brush last year. A £20 pure badger for my travel kit bag. The logo started to wear off after a few uses. Being the curious type, I asked the retailer if this was to be expected (I assumed it was). They asked me to send it in. A few days later I was sent a brand new brush and some samples.

2. I got a new mobile phone tariff with the carphone warehouse a few years ago when they were throwing in a Playstation or netbook computer with the 18month contract. I opted for the playstation for my nephew. A few months later, it just wouldn't turn on. They sent it off for a repair. It couldn;t bee repaired and they replaced it with a new one.

Hopefully Taylor's pull their fingers out and help you out.

I think that asking 12 quid for a repair on an item like this is not outrageous. The way they 'repaired' it, however, is. They should've told you that there was no elegant way to truly repair this, other than replacing the handle.

Having said that, ebony is not a very suitable wood for brush handles in the first place, plus the way it was finished almost guaranteed that it would crack sooner or later. Regardless of the fact that I like oil-finished wood way better than varnished wood, I varnish all my wooden handles, and make sure that the entire bucket is covered with epoxy so that no water will seep into the wood from the inside. This handle looks like it wasn't finished at all, or at most oiled. With meticulous oiling such a handle may survive, but left to its own it will sooner or later crack - which it did.

For a repair I would suggest gluing the cracks, wrapping the handle with very fine white silk (probably at the widest point, making a wrap of a couple mm wide), then finishing the handle with a marine spar varnish. It will look less classy, but it will probably hold longer...

Cheers all and thanks Henk, as ever for the info.

Update: I sent the brush off last Friday, 9am in the morning using Recorded First Class. Hopefully it arrived Saturday (they are open then)

No news yet. I will check with them tomorrow if they received it.

Back
Top Bottom