My second razor refurbishment.

Well this will be my second razor restoration, the razor came to me in a very poor condition, little rust small pitting, and wide spread staining, also the scales were looking very tired with scratches dinks, so I started by unpining the scales, the original pins did not have washers on the outside of the scales, but the inner washers were made of steel, so I cleaned them up to use again, then I started with the blade, the usual wet & dry paper starting at 300 grit working up to 600 grit, then off to my power drill with buffing and polishing wheels and compound, simular job done with scales, but all hand polished, no power tools finished off with safecut and autsol, then on to the rebuild using original wedge, and the brass pin rod plus washers given to me by Graham AKA Exile, finally honed and shave ready by my standards, well I would like to think I sympathetically put the Crown & Sword back together, but tell me what you think?

Jamie

razorrefurb001-1.jpg

razorrefurb002-1.jpg

razorrefurb004-1.jpg

razorrefurb003-1.jpg

razorrefurb006-1.jpg

Well done you have done a cracking job on this razor. With standards like these I will be sending my razors to you instead of me doing them.

How did you unpin the razor?

Excellent job on the pins, nice and symmetrical.

Well Graham I will say it was not easy, I very carefully filed down as close to the scale as possible, them used a very small punch and punched a tiny dink in the pin, then used my dremel with a 1/16 drill to do the rest, I was very nervous. I was surprised to see a pair of steel washers inside the scales, when you consider how long they have been sitting in the razor they looked in good condition, after cleaning them up they looked really quite good.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Graham I will say it was not easy, I very carefully filed down I close to the scale as possible, them used a very small punch and punched a tiny dink in the pin, then used my dremel with a 1/16 drill to do the rest, I was very nervous. I was surprised to see a pair of steel washers inside the scales, when you consider how long they have been sitting in the razor they looked in good condition, after cleaning them up they looked really quite good.

Jamie.

The way I remove them is put insulting tape (insulating tape) over the pins and covering the scales (one piece) then you can file down without hurting the scales if you miss file. After I have got them down to as low as I can get I use a drift and VERY GENTLY tap the pins with a 1/16 drift if they won't come out then I do as you do and drill after centre punching the pin.

I use a Dremel on the new pins after I have finished pining I use a leather buffing wheel with some Solvol Autosol. It takes the small imperfections out of the pin without marking the scales don't keep in one spot to long. I hold the pin at the back with my left index finger to make sure I don't get to much heat into the pin and keep changing direction so the pin is even.

With regards the steel washer in-between the scales and razor the more expensive razors usually came like this. I always put a thrust washer in my restored razors. I use one of the larger washers and hit it with a hammer till it is thin enough so you can't see it when the razor is rebuilt.

Thanks Andy, comming from you and Graham that means a lot. I have one more to refurbish, then I will stop boring you all for a while, a Taylors 1000 witness.

Regards
Jamie

Bloody well done Jamie! I kind of don´t like it when they get to buffed, but if you don´t have a choice, you don´t have it. I´m looking forward to see your Taylor, it´s one of mine want to try razors and has been for a while (one´s with Neil now). Well done, indeed!

While I was I was giving the Crown & Sword the once over I thought I would change the scales on the Kropp. I reground the toe giving the razor a more aggressive look to it, then trying to mimick the front with the scales also giving them a more angular finish, I also re-honed the razor I think I will give this a go possibly in the week.

Jamie.

Razorrestoration004.jpg

Razorrestoration003.jpg

Razorrestoration007.jpg

Razorrestoration006.jpg

Razorrestoration001.jpg

Razorrestoration005.jpg

Well done. Clear isn't my thing, but the shape of the scales looks great. I also like what you did with the toe.

Did you give the acrylic a satin finish? It looks frosty.

asharperrazor said:
Well done. Clear isn't my thing, but the shape of the scales looks great. I also like what you did with the toe.

Did you give the acrylic a satin finish? It looks frosty.

Hi, Lee yes I did because even though I like the clear arcrylic it looks dirty as soon as you pick it up, clear arcylic is not the easiest material to work with.

Cheers Jamie

Back
Top Bottom