My new old hobby: the Rubik's cube

img_2015.jpg

It might look a bit like a regression phase or some kind of 80's revival, but I've been cubing for about 3 months now. I got a Rubik's cube in the 80's at around 6 or 7, and it took me hours just to complete one layer... So since the magic cube has made its come back, therefore I decided to give it another try. My best time is around 1 min and 9 sec (very far from exceptional, but I cube only for a couple of hours a week using the beginner's method).

I even created a visual guide for myself.

cube_s12.jpg

My best is about two minutes.

Took me about three hours of YouTube and practice to get the algorithms.

Do you use a genuine Rubik's cube or a Chinese speedcube? Because that can make a big difference. I tried the Rubik's of friend, it wasn't lubed, thus the layers were impossible to turn, etc, etc. On the other hand, the Chinese ones, they're designed for speed.

Greetings

I used to be able to solve the Rubic cube in the 80's. I'm sure that if I tried now I would just lose my rag with it and chuck it out of the window! I have certainly noticed that I seem to lack the patience I once had, is that usual for OAP's?

Regards
Dick.

I use an original one which is so old nothing quite fits and nothing turns smoothly.

Right then, off to Amazon ...

Forget Amazon, go for a Chinese webshop like cubezz or fasttech, the average delivery time to the UK is 2 weeks, and cubes are cheaper there.

The Qiyi Thunderbolt/Thunderclap is very popular (probably best ratio quality/price)
http://www.cubezz.com/search.php?en...lYXJjaF9lbmNvZGVfdGltZSI7aToxNDU5NTQ1OTI4O30=

The Guoguan Yuexiao is very popular at the moment too:
http://www.cubezz.com/search.php?en...zZWFyY2hfZW5jb2RlX3RpbWUiO2k6MTQ1OTU0NjEzOTt9

My quickest was about 90 seconds. I can still do it but I'm sure I use an antiquated method. I have too many other distractions to spend the required hours to learn the quicker way

Back
Top Bottom