My "new" Gillette #58

Picked up a Gillette #58 some time ago for $40 and it arrived this weekend.
The razor looks and feels great and it even came in the original case.

A little bit about Gillette #58
Even though this razor doesn't have one of those creative names Slim, Fatboy, Senator, etc - there are some rather interesting facts about this beautiful razor;

- Made during 1953 to 1956 (potentially to 1957),
- 1953-1954 stamped "Patent Pending",
- 1955-1956/7 stamped "Brit Pat 694 093"
- (as of 1956 the razor case came with a loop around the knob of the handle. Which is what my case have and that really helps in dating the razor).
This is helpful as the British made Gillette was not stamped with the same date codes as the American
made ones.

- The #58 is a British Aristocrat model,

- The razor was made in two models;
- an aluminum version weighing 34g, and
- a nickel plated brass version (which is the one I have) weighing 68g

- In 1953 there were three razors issued (cases had a crown on them) as 'coronation razors' to mark the
crowning of Elizabeth II - the #58 was one of them,

- A bit more aggressive than its American-made cousins and has a reputation for producing outstanding
shaves often lending the razor to be very highly ranked and sought after,

Here's some pics of my new darling:

Here you can see the loop around the handle indicating it's a case from 1956/7:
izrif5.jpg

To provide a sense of scale here's the #58 surrounded by a Gillette Big Boy Deluxe on the left side - and a Gillette NEW w/ common bar handle on the right side:
20rnvae.jpg

Shaved with it for the first time this morning and had an absolutely outstanding shave.
2s9y4w0.jpg

Hi there,

That #58 combo is also in my arsenal and rotation. I like everything about the razor, especially the shave. Reminds me of the US made Aristocrat/Diplomat/President trio. Still some fairly reasonable prices for those except for the Prez. You would like using em.

Congrats on the nice acquisition,

Martin

dodgy said:
Hi there,

That #58 combo is also in my arsenal and rotation. I like everything about the razor, especially the shave. Reminds me of the US made Aristocrat/Diplomat/President trio. Still some fairly reasonable prices for those except for the Prez. You would like using em.

Congrats on the nice acquisition,

Martin

Thanks Martin.
I got this one for 40 USD which I thought was a very fair price considering the condition and case.

Lovely razor! I have one in similar mint condition with case and although it doesn't see much use these days, I am loathe to part with it.

Back
Top Bottom