My ideal camera

I don't subscribe to this theory that digital makes everyone a good photographer.Letting the camera make it's best guess on how to expose a shot will almost always come out wrong.Granted you can see the result instantly but without manual controls how are you going to make small adjustments to get the shot 'you' want?

My ideal camera?

This one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/">http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/</a><!-- m -->

:shock:

John

My dad just bought himself a Leica D Lux-4 for his 60th. I collected it yesterday from RG Lewis, it is gorgeous but I have not played with it. Will have to let you know how it is.

I have a Lumix TZ3 which is quite good and a Nikon F50 which is ok too. Oh and a Voightlander (a sortof bellows compact) which was my Grandads which still takes great photos.

C

I've got one and don't really use.

PM me for a PIF and I'll chuck in a MacBook Pro, projector, screen, my North London apartment and my farm in Oxfordshire.

Yesterday I tried to take a picture of my wife and son in some woods using a canon compact. I noticed the shutter speed was far to long. I zoomed out a bit so that a larger aperture could be used but that didn't really work. I wanted aperture f2.8 which is the largest the camera will do but it wouldn't give me more than f5.6. In the end I had to bump the ISO up to ISO800 which I didn't want to do just to get a reasonable shutter speed. I'm sure that there is a setting somewhere in the camera "family in the woods under a tree" but its impossible to find when you have only a few seconds to take a picture. I really want manual controls sometimes. Three knobs, shutter, aperture, ISO.

Flatfish said:
Yesterday I tried to take a picture of my wife and son in some woods using a canon compact. I noticed the shutter speed was far to long. I zoomed out a bit so that a larger aperture could be used but that didn't really work. I wanted aperture f2.8 which is the largest the camera will do but it wouldn't give me more than f5.6. In the end I had to bump the ISO up to ISO800 which I didn't want to do just to get a reasonable shutter speed. I'm sure that there is a setting somewhere in the camera "family in the woods under a tree" but its impossible to find when you have only a few seconds to take a picture. I really want manual controls sometimes. Three knobs, shutter, aperture, ISO.

I'm a photographer by trade and have a Nikon D3 and D300. You'll find the pro cameras don't have "scene" modes - they assume you know what you're doing! Av, Tv and Manual modes are there.

You know what I use, 90% of the time?

Manual mode.

Set shutter speed to freeze or blur action as required, or to prevent camera shake, set aperture depending on the depth of field required, juggle both until you get the exposure you require (there is no such thing as "correct" exposure!)

I like to be in control. When that control is taken away from me, the camera is making decisions, not me. It sometimes makes wrong decisions, that's the way it is. It can't read your mind!

jhclare said:
I'm a photographer by trade and have a Nikon D3 and D300. You'll find the pro cameras don't have "scene" modes - they assume you know what you're doing! Av, Tv and Manual modes are there.

You know what I use, 90% of the time?

Manual mode.

Set shutter speed to freeze or blur action as required, or to prevent camera shake, set aperture depending on the depth of field required, juggle both until you get the exposure you require (there is no such thing as "correct" exposure!)

I like to be in control. When that control is taken away from me, the camera is making decisions, not me. It sometimes makes wrong decisions, that's the way it is. It can't read your mind!

I agree with you here John, I have an S5 pro and use manual 99% of the time.

Agree with manual mode. Something I miss is being able to control everything.

Has anyone seen the new Canon Powershot G11? It has a flip out screen which the G10 didn't have. Its 10mp which is over 4mp less than the G10. Yes, Less. According to Canon this dramatically reduces noise by having a less crowded sensor. High ISO performance should be significantly improved as well as dynamic range. I wish the lens was wider than 28mm but theres always a G12.

The G11 probably fills most of the criteria of my original post apart from the wide angle lens. Can't afford it though. Such is life. :(

Flatfish said:
Compact to fit in pocket.
Larger sensor to reduce noise.
Noiseless up to ISO 1600
Zoom range from about 24mm to at least 130mm though more is better.
Lens brightness about f2.8
Enough in built technology to eliminate the need for photoshop.
Built in neutral density grad filter and a few others.

Leica M9...

jhclare said:
My ideal camera?

This one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/</a><!-- m -->

John

:mrgreen:

want one

Peter said:
jhclare said:
My ideal camera?

This one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/</a><!-- m -->

John

:mrgreen:

want one
Perfect walk around camera. If I could just find a buyer for one of my kidneys... ;)
Till then I'll just have to lug around my D300

My interest in photography started at the age of 13, when I bought a second hand Canon AE1, which 20+ years on, I still have. I also own a Canon T70 and a T50, and quite a nice set of lenses.

I spend hours on picture "editing", dark room etc.. (dark room = photoshop of yesterday), I loved it.
Then I had some period where buying 3 rolls of film a week was just not an option.

My camera gathered dust, I went back to it a few years later, did some lovely stuff, then tried a bridge digital camera. (Sony H5) Loved it, got some amazing shots. And the cost in the long run.. wow!

The it got stolen, and I was sad... :( I went back to the SLR, but it was just costing me too much.

I've always wanted to get into film, and having done some writing in the past (plays, novel & poetry), video was the next logical step.

I've now got a pretty nice HD video setup (Canon HFS100, Rhode Videomic, stabiliser, tripod, dolly, etc...)
My knowledge I've built up with my classic cameras over the years, helps me a lot on the video work I'm doing.

I've written 2 shorts, which are now in final stages of storyboarding, and hopefully one day I'll get round to filming..... :roll:

And for digital photos.. I use a Fujifinpix s10 (I think?), it's crap, as you can see on my BST snaps, but it'll do, and with good lighting, it can take pretty decent snaps.

My next investment is a new Macbook Pro, as my current 2006 macbook is just not liking Premiere Pro and editing HD video files.

Max

Back
Top Bottom