My First DE shave.

Yesterday I took delivery of my Merkur razor and selection of assorted blades.
I have another delivery arriving shortly with TOBS shaving cream and Proraso Pre Shave and shaving cream.

You guessed it I couldn't wait. So last night I had the warm shower and using my previous No.7 shave gel, lathered with a badger brush, I went ahead and lathered up.

I loaded the Merkur with the Merkur blade that came with it, because,
I know most of you old hands don't rate them, but I have the spreadsheet ready and I need a base level to work from and start my comparisons.

I made three passes, the shaving gel was slippy enough but was quickly drying out as I was taking things very slowly as advised.

I followed with Alum block, Tea Tree/Witch Hazel toner and moisturiser.
I can only say that it was the best shave I have ever had and I can't wait to get the other products that you guys rate.
I had no redness or nicks. Especially in the sensitive area just below my jawline which was always stinging before even though I never went ATG. Last night I went WTG,XTG ,ATG.

Fantastic so far and I am so glad I found this site. I don't think I will be saving any money though.

welcome to the forum, and it's great to hear of another convert (why did cartridge razors ever take off?) and you clearly already see the pitfalls (money) as you become afflicted with RAD, SAD etc etc etc

Welcome along, pal. I, too, am very new to DE shaving ... just had my fourth tonight.

Like you, my razor arrived with a Merkur blade and with little else, I went ahead with it. Yes, for me, it was the best shave I've had in a long long long time. When your sample pack of blades arrives, you'll see a very serious improvement over that Merkur. You think it's good now ... it gets better. Then, you just seem to get your angle right and (like me tonight) get it just perfect.

I like to shave in the evening, preferring sleep in the morning ...

I'm finding neat Witch Hazel after shaving to be really good. Perhaps a dedicated aftershave thereafter, but for toning, neat Witch Hazel is just lovely.

If you find you like the Proraso, carry on with a menthol cream - Ingram Shaving Cream (£1.75 from Superdrug) is very nice indeed. Likewise, Nuage Men's Shving Oil (£1 from most supermarkets) is a lovely menthol pre-shave oil. Just a tip I picked up about the Proraso (in case you've not read about it already) ... use as instructed pre-shave; post-shave, hot rinse, cold rinse and while you're still wet but not dripping, just a dot and really work it in ... all over your face, not just the shaved area.

Have a lot of fun ...

See you around.

kenrob said:
I loaded the Merkur with the Merkur blade that came with it, because,
I know most of you old hands don't rate them, but I have the spreadsheet ready and I need a base level to work from and start my comparisons.

Actually... that sounds quite sensible to me. I shaved with Derby blades for the first two months... also not rated by many, but a good starting point.

For the record... I finished my 4th tub of Proraso pre-shave today (in little over a year)... think I may be eating the stuff in my sleep. I've got a 300mg jar to use now.

Welcome to the forum

WiffWaff said:
kenrob said:
I loaded the Merkur with the Merkur blade that came with it.
I have the spreadsheet ready and I need a base level to work from and start my comparisons.

Actually... that sounds quite sensible to me. I shaved with Derby blades for the first two months... also not rated by many, but a good starting point.

Yep, starting with a Merkur blade was what I did and it certainly helped to get a reference point on what blade didn't work for me. After about 20 shaves with that brand I switched to something else and the difference was night and day. I don't regret my beginning journey, but don't know if I would recommend it. However, I'm glad to see a new member do his reading and approaching things in a thoughtful way. This first month will go fast and then things get fun.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom