Muhle R41 My Experience

Greetings Fellow Wet Shavers

I really felt I must share with you my experience with the Muhle R41 ‘Safety' Razor and seek your views.

My beard is, IMHO average or ‘normal' (whatever that is) in every way; I shave every day and have a small collection of modern and old razors most of which are generally considered mild to medium, the ones I prefer, or rather preferred are the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Merkur 1904 lookalike safety bar.

For several years until I started reading this and other forums I shaved with a Merkur Futur but invariably on only 2.5. and I used Merkur blades! If only I had read this forum earlier and tried ‘proper' blades!

About three weeks ago I purchased from E-bay a Merkur 15c open comb and in short I love it, I find it gentle forgiving, easy and ‘kind' and I get a superb shave with it, a babies bum (butt for our American cousins) a silky smooth finish without a hint of soreness.

So why did I decide to purchase a Muhle R41; I suspect because I could and a little knowledge is dangerous, especially when it comes from research rather than personal experience! I also felt naively that as the Merkur 15c was an open comb and performed so well, a more aggressive open comb would perform even better!

I must say the Muhle R41 is finished wonderfully and not expensive; I have now shaved with it five times and let me say it is not, with care, a blood beast; I have not had a single nick using this razor. My problem is that my entire face feels (or felt) like it had been washed with a scouring pad onto which valve grinding paste had been applied! I was sure the fault must be in my technique especially my angle and that I needed to shave at a much lesser angle. I have tried this and the result is the same, a close shave but my whole face feels sore and abraded!

After a couple of days rest and shaving with my Merkur 15c I have tried, again and again and with a Derby, Feather, Astra (green packet) and Super Iridium blade and the result is the same a sore face!

I am very happy with my brush and lather and I now feel my face/beard is simply not compatible with such an aggressive razor and never will be.

I have come to the conclusion that the Muhle R41 is in fact not a razor at all but a super de-luxe up market paint scraper designed for scraping emulsion from light switches etc!

I would appreciate the views of your experiences and wisdom…….on the bright side I adore the R41 handle and have started using it on my Merkur 15c.

Regards
Dick.

I think you'll find the problem is the angle at which you apply the razor to your face.....I had exactly the same problem as you.( felt as though I'd been sandpapered with very rough sandpaper.)..... Codfish over on Badger and Blade gave me these instructions,and they worked for me....

Try putting the razor head against your face,with the handle sticking out at right angles to your face...Now, looking in the mirror,lower the handle gradually,at the same time looking at the blade angle against your face. When the blade cutting edge is touching your skin,that is more or less the shaving angle for this razor.....Oh and try using almost zero pressure as well.
When you get the angle just right, the R41 will give you the smoothest, easiest, closest shave you're probably ever likely to get....

I use Astra SP's (green packet) in mine,I find anything else just too sharp,and I get a rough shave, but with the Astra's...
BBS...every time.

I think the trick if you want to persist is to shave with it at a very very shallow angle so it will cut rather than scrape.

Personally it holds no allure, if you want to shave like that try a SE or a straight they have been designed for that purpose.

antdad said:
I think the trick if you want to persist is to shave with it at a very very shallow angle so it will cut rather than scrape.

Yes, that's how I use it. Two WTG passes gives me decent workday shave that lasts all day, and I don't get any post shave discomfort unless I have been careless.

Ian

GOLDCREST said:
I think you'll find the problem is the angle at which you apply the razor to your face.....I had exactly the same problem as you.( felt as though I'd been sandpapered with very rough sandpaper.)..... Codfish over on Badger and Blade gave me these instructions,and they worked for me....

Try putting the razor head against your face,with the handle sticking out at right angles to your face...Now, looking in the mirror,lower the handle gradually,at the same time looking at the blade angle against your face. When the blade cutting edge is touching your skin,that is more or less the shaving angle for this razor.....Oh and try using almost zero pressure as well.
When you get the angle just right, the R41 will give you the smoothest, easiest, closest shave you're probably ever likely to get....

I use Astra SP's (green packet) in mine,I find anything else just too sharp,and I get a rough shave, but with the Astra's...
BBS...every time.

I can see that working going down or across your face. But how would you manage such an extreme angle going up your face (south to north on your neck for example)?

chicken neck said:
I can see that working going down or across your face. But how would you manage such an extreme angle going up your face (south to north on your neck for example)?

Same technique in reverse, stretch the neck and apply the blade as flat as possible as you go up... it's slightly odd but only for a few shaves, you do adapt.

OP: I agree with the others, it's all about angle and pressure. The shallowest angle and the lightest possible pressure (i.e. virtually none).
SirPrize once said he liked this razor precisely because it re-taught him the very basics that he'd since got complacent about. It's certainly the razor most likely to show up any tiny gap in technique. I wasn't sure I liked it at first and it sat under-used for about 3 months, but I like it a lot now.

The only bit I never quite got to grips with was under the nose...maybe my snozz is too big to get the angle right..In the end I just opt for a downward stroke on the top lip area...

GOLDCREST said:
The only bit I never quite got to grips with was under the nose...

You and me both. I found that if I presented this razor to the central top lip in the normal manner, (ready to shave straight down), it would readily bite into and cut my septum... seriously, I nicked myself badly twice that way, and that was enough.
I have to go sideways across the top lip, and I push a corner of the blade UP into the nose/ septum corner from a really oblique angle to remove the moustache cleanly. It is very different.

I found the OP a very illuminating and candid post. To see someone state that their beard is "average in every way" is refreshing. Following this by admitting that you purchased the R41 because "a little knowledge is dangerous" is admirably honest. The 2011 toothcomb version of the R41 seems to be the most discussed modern razor, and this has probably prompted many to try it.

As for me, yes, I'll admit I am/was considering the R41. Like the OP, I've gotten on well with the DE89 and a Merkur 1904 41C (same head as the 15C I think). The OP has cooled my curiosity right down. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, Norfolkdick. Well done on making lemonade from your lemons by pairing the R41 handle with your 15C head.:icon_smile:

Greetings,
Thank you all for your advice and observations. I have taken on board everything that you have said and I am sure you are all right in so much it is all about a very slight angle and a gentle touch.

I don't have any intentions of ridding myself of the razor if only because I love the handle so much.

I shall return to it and try again, but the comment that did strike home to me was that of Antdad when he said "If you want to persist", and continued to suggest why not try a single edge or a straight. He has a very good point , if I get what I consider to be a near as damn it perfect shave with a Merkur 15c, should I be subjecting myself and my face to the trials and difficulties of the Muhle R41? Just because it is there should you try to master it, perhaps not, especially if in the end you only end up with what you already have ie a superb babies bum shave!

Thank you so much for your advice this is my first plea for help but I am very sure it will not be my last!

Best Regards
Dick.

Your reason for obtaining it was interesting. 'Because I could'. I remember reading a Rifle Review where when asked why you would to buy a rife that could kill a Truck. The owner stated ' because I could'! Interesting that the same comment is used for both a razor and a gun!!
I'd give the same advice to both owners:'Respect' it's a tool that you need to respect and it will work well fore you. (yes, I have and use one. Oh , the gun or the razor. Guess,)

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Fellow Wet Shavers

I really felt I must share with you my experience with the Muhle R41 ‘Safety' Razor and seek your views.

My beard is, IMHO average or ‘normal' (whatever that is) in every way; I shave every day and have a small collection of modern and old razors most of which are generally considered mild to medium, the ones I prefer, or rather preferred are the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Merkur 1904 lookalike safety bar.

For several years until I started reading this and other forums I shaved with a Merkur Futur but invariably on only 2.5. and I used Merkur blades! If only I had read this forum earlier and tried ‘proper' blades!

About three weeks ago I purchased from E-bay a Merkur 15c open comb and in short I love it, I find it gentle forgiving, easy and ‘kind' and I get a superb shave with it, a babies bum (butt for our American cousins) a silky smooth finish without a hint of soreness.

So why did I decide to purchase a Muhle R41; I suspect because I could and a little knowledge is dangerous, especially when it comes from research rather than personal experience! I also felt naively that as the Merkur 15c was an open comb and performed so well, a more aggressive open comb would perform even better!

I must say the Muhle R41 is finished wonderfully and not expensive; I have now shaved with it five times and let me say it is not, with care, a blood beast; I have not had a single nick using this razor. My problem is that my entire face feels (or felt) like it had been washed with a scouring pad onto which valve grinding paste had been applied! I was sure the fault must be in my technique especially my angle and that I needed to shave at a much lesser angle. I have tried this and the result is the same, a close shave but my whole face feels sore and abraded!

After a couple of days rest and shaving with my Merkur 15c I have tried, again and again and with a Derby, Feather, Astra (green packet) and Super Iridium blade and the result is the same a sore face!

I am very happy with my brush and lather and I now feel my face/beard is simply not compatible with such an aggressive razor and never will be.

I have come to the conclusion that the Muhle R41 is in fact not a razor at all but a super de-luxe up market paint scraper designed for scraping emulsion from light switches etc!

I would appreciate the views of your experiences and wisdom…….on the bright side I adore the R41 handle and have started using it on my Merkur 15c.

Regards
Dick.
I've had the same scoured feeling with the new American razor, the Tradere, but it came with nicks and weepers as well. The people who do well with the R41 seem to like the Tradere as well and it is a lot more expensive.

I sometimes use the Merkur 25c OC razor, which is a long handled version of the 15c. I find it a mild razor, and it may be due to there being no gap between the top plate and the comb, above and below the blade. This would make the head quite thin and light. Only the spaces between and above the teeth provide any real blade exposure.

So my guess is that if there is a space between the top plate and comb (usually the case with closed comb razors), thus increasing the blade exposure, this would make the razor more aggressive. I've looked at pictures of the Muhle R41, and the head looks quite heavy, which could also make the razor aggressive due to the weight. Yet when I look at pictures of the Goodfella razor, the head is quite thin, similar to the Merkur 15c or 25c, and the Goodfella may well be a mild OC razor.

I get smooth close shaves with the Merkur 25c, but I only shave with 1 pass on the neck area when I use this razor. This is because the razor shaves very closely. But above the neck I shave with the usual WTG, and XTG and overall have very smooth close shaves.

Back
Top Bottom