Most unusual or 'different' purchase

There are endless combinations available for a cream or soap some of which contain ingredients more akin to cooking than shaving.

What is the most unusual or 'exotic' for a better term soap or cream you've bought? After some ideas for a special shave once in a while as opposed to the run of the mill basic soaps / creams.

not exotic or unusual by any means, but by far the best soap I have ever used
http://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com/en/
nothing else i have tried even comes close. It seems expensive but I have had the jar now for around 18-24 months and still have hardly made a dent in it, I think it will last another 4 or five years with 3 or four shaves a week minimum so the price to shave ratio is pretty damn good for such a quality soap. And the bonus is it was a gift from another forum member :) But I would happily shell out the cash for it

daz said:
not exotic or unusual by any means, but by far the best soap I have ever used
http://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com/en/
nothing else i have tried even comes close. It seems expensive but I have had the jar now for around 18-24 months and still have hardly made a dent in it, I think it will last another 4 or five years with 3 or four shaves a week minimum so the price to shave ratio is pretty damn good for such a quality soap. And the bonus is it was a gift from another forum member :) But I would happily shell out the cash for it

Daz, what one do you have? I am considering this but my French ain't so good and I can't afford to buy the wrong one (well, I can't afford to buy the RIGHT one actually, but you understand!)

The english side doesnt seem to be working. But google translate comes up with this one:
Le Pot en verre http://www.savonaraser.com/presentation-savon-a-raser.html

Hopefully Cyril (Hairsuite) will come along to help me as it was him that gifted it to me. Damn my handle making skills!!!

pm me your address and I will send you a wee sample

Most unusual soap I've owned is probably I Coloniali. Strange smell, mixture of vetiver and fruit. Strange consistency, not quite a hard soap, maybe semi firm? Strange feeling too, it has a menthol cooling effect even though there's no scent of menthol. Oh and a strange design, less of a puck, more of a splat. It does come in an extremely handsome terracotta dish that you'll keep forever though. It performs really well and I should use it more often.

It even ticks the weird cooking ingredients box, it boasts mango oil whatever that may be. It doesn't smell of mango by the way.

I have an original Rolls Razor soap, from the '50s I guess ...

DSC05498.JPG

DSC05499.JPG

DSC05501.JPG

DSC05502.JPG

DSC05512.JPG

... that the most unusual in my (now) small soap stash.

Hiya,

While back I bought 10-12 NOS pucks of Halston shaving soap. Didn't know the scent and no clue how it would perform. Figured I would take a chance. Was a BIN and not very pricey.

Turned out to be a mixed bag. Stuff was not worth shaving with, but smelled real good as a bath soap. Here's a link to that. http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-1774.html

Canuck said:
Most unusual soap I've owned is probably I Coloniali. Strange smell, mixture of vetiver and fruit. Strange consistency, not quite a hard soap, maybe semi firm? Strange feeling too, it has a menthol cooling effect even though there's no scent of menthol. Oh and a strange design, less of a puck, more of a splat. It does come in an extremely handsome terracotta dish that you'll keep forever though. It performs really well and I should use it more often.

It even ticks the weird cooking ingredients box, it boasts mango oil whatever that may be. It doesn't smell of mango by the way.

Canuck beat me to the I Coloniali. It's unique in every respect. Comes with a white 'frosting' and settles down to an orange/brown blob. Then there's the bowl and the scent - liked it so much I trundled off and got the Atkinsons softening bath and shower cream with bamboo, which is almost there scent wise. I would add Jabonman for the lack of a store front, the google translate emails and the scents again (esp. Wet Earth).

Re: RE: Most unusual or 'different' purchase

Canuck said:

+1 on the conialli I have the tube fantastic stuff and incredible scent. I also have a luck of soap made from ewes milk lovely lather smells similar to mwf

I have a bowl of Knize Ten shaving soap.

It's an average performer, with a flowery scent (Knize Ten with the Petrol and Vanilla removed) and the bowl has cracked but I use it now and then when I want to think 'I bet not many people are shaving with this this morning'.

joe mcclaine said:
I have a bowl of Knize Ten shaving soap.

It's an average performer, with a flowery scent (Knize Ten with the Petrol and Vanilla removed) and the bowl has cracked but I use it now and then when I want to think 'I bet not many people are shaving with this this morning'.

I had this soap when I used to wear Knize Ten as a fragrance. You are quite right that it's average, it also didn't have much of a fragrance - I was expecting it to be stronger. This was before I joined this forum ... so I just binned it.

I'm watching an original Rolls soap on ebay at the moment like the one posted above, is it sacrilege to use some of these sealed soaps from yesteryear?

Also found one from the US with the smell of tobacco? Not sure the appeal in making your face smell like that as a non smoker but certainly is different.

Geofnay said:
I would add Jabonman for the lack of a store front, the google translate emails and the scents again (esp. Wet Earth).

Agreed.. and the fact that he offers you a 'hug' with every email :)

My most unusual soap is Savon a raser Lait d'anesse Bio 25% - La Savonniere Du Moulin.
It is made with Donkey milk and has a pleasant but impossible to describe scent.
Performance is 2nd to none.

Back
Top Bottom