Most Bizarre Football Match

Following on from Papa P's thread on the hat-trick of penalties he witnessed at his local non-league club's recent match, what is the strangest, most bizarre or memorable football match you've ever attended? Could be a great comeback, an unusual event on the pitch or in the stadium, a unexpected high scoring match, anything/

Back in '03, I was at the New Year Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle, home of my team, Hearts, playing against Hibs on the January the 2nd. Over the course of the first half we went 2-0 down thanks in part to a shocking back pass which was intercepted and slotted home. We then were awarded a penalty which our captain duly buried then got an equalizer not too long after that. " Right then, we're in the ascendancy, let's go on and get the winner", thinks I only to shortly see Hibs go up the park and score to go 3-2 up. "Bugger!", was my natural reaction. However, I steeled myself and decided that if we could come back from 2-0 down, we could get a leveller for three all. Game goes into the last two minutes and they get a penalty which they score. The away end erupts with the Hibs' fans singing load and proud, "Happy New Year, Happy New Year!", over and over again.

I was with Faither and my cousin's young lad whose first game it was. Faither turns to me and yells, "Stuff this" then proceeds to head for the exit. Young Stuart and I started to follow suit but we'd got caught in a slow-moving queue. We're into injury time and I just happened to look up and see young Graeme Weir, the sub, stick one in the net for us to make it 4-3. "Oh well", thinks I, "Better than nothing". Deep into injury time now and I'm wondering if I'll hear the final whistle over all the jubilant racket the Hibs are making when super-sub Weir does it again for the most unbelievable equaliser I've ever seen live. Instant silence from the Hibees and their manager starts throwing the rattle out the pram. Fellow Hearts fans whom I've never met before are hugging me and jumping up and down, whooping with sheer joy! Place went absolutely mental! The most surreal ending to a match I've ever been at and the only time I've witnessed bigger celebrations at a draw than a win. The Hibs' fans may have been shouting, "Happy New Year", when they were on top but after Weir's second, we were all singing, "Happy New Weir, Happy New Weir!" louder than I've ever heard any singing at a live game.

Heh, during the close-season Festival Cup played in August of the same year and which we won 1-0, Hearts' fans could be heard singing, "4-2 and you fucked it up...."

Here's a clip showing the Hearts goals:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom