Mongoose

I know a few of you have expressed an interest in buying one of these !!
So my invoice came through for a polished mirror finished one with a the Dub slim (standard) handle. Total cost inc shipping to me is $172.00. I have a matt finished one that I am very happy with, so if someone wants to pay the cost (upfront) to get this for them, (plus onward postage in the UK and any customs charges if it gets caught ?) then let me know.
If nobody is interested then I will cancel my order when I get back home late tomorrow.

Nice offer! I have just received my invoice for a satin finish or i'd snap your hand off!

Not sure ive made the right choice in finish....if I were you I'd order it anyway and make sure you prefer the matt finish. I'm sure you'd get your money back on bst on whichever you liked the least.

Matt

Thanks for the offer but I've just received my invoice for the polished mirror finished head. I have a Shavecraft SE handle to go on it when it arrives. I just wasn't sure about the grip on the Dub handle, so went for the head only.

MPH said:
Nice offer! I have just received my invoice for a satin finish or i'd snap your hand off!

Not sure ive made the right choice in finish....if I were you I'd order it anyway and make sure you prefer the matt finish. I'm sure you'd get your money back on bst on whichever you liked the least.

Matt

I would do but finances won't allow me.........:icon_cry2:

The shave pot is empty.

I was sitting around with a head full of cold or whatever "lurgy" is doing the rounds, and feeling distinctly brassed off.

However, the postman knocked, and delivered me my delayed Christmas present to myself - mirror finish Mongoose and Dub Slim, with an extra Big Bomber handle. Door to door 26th December to 2nd January, which isn't bad going considering that European purchases from Gifts&Care and Figaro seem to take a fortnight at least, and not over Christmas and New Year either.

That's one heck of a piece of kit and it all looks pretty damn good to me; I'll likely give it a whirl over the weekend.

I had the first shave with my new Mongoose today. The rig-out was the Dub Slim handle, Feather Pro blade, a Muhle synthetic brush and Wickham Bay Rum "croap".

First impressions:-

- a good, thick and fairly stiff lather seems essential
- the wide head takes a bit of getting used to
- balance and weight is just right for me
- the angle is important, and I think I'll need a couple more tries to get it "just so"
- the blade is probably better on second and subsequent use (like the ones for Ever Ready etc.)
- 2 passes did the job

It's a handsome object, and well-worth having. I think it will go on the favourites shelf.

I see in another thread that someone reckons to get 20-30 shaves out of these blades, and another member reckons they work well when into double figures. As I normally ditch DE blades after 3 uses, and the same for SE Personna stainless blades, I'm planning to see whether the Feather Pros will indeed carry on for that time.

Ferrum said:
I had the first shave with my new Mongoose today. The rig-out was the Dub Slim handle, Feather Pro blade, a Muhle synthetic brush and Wickham Bay Rum "croap".

First impressions:-

- a good, thick and fairly stiff lather seems essential
- the wide head takes a bit of getting used to
- balance and weight is just right for me
- the angle is important, and I think I'll need a couple more tries to get it "just so"
- the blade is probably better on second and subsequent use (like the ones for Ever Ready etc.)
- 2 passes did the job

It's a handsome object, and well-worth having. I think it will go on the favourites shelf.

I see in another thread that someone reckons to get 20-30 shaves out of these blades, and another member reckons they work well when into double figures. As I normally ditch DE blades after 3 uses, and the same for SE Personna stainless blades, I'm planning to see whether the Feather Pros will indeed carry on for that time.

I am now on my 14th shave with the same blade and it still shows no sign of giving up. Like you I chuck a D.E. blade after about 3 shaves, so I would see how far you can push the blade for yourself. The angle will come quite quickly it took me about 3 shaves to get it right.
Its worth the effort to get used to the razor as it produces very consistent shaves.

I'm looking at buying a satin finish with Dr Bomber handle - after trying one out courtesy of a generous member. In the meantime, can anyone tell me the length of the Dr Bomber handle, please? Are the handles all the same length?

If the handles aren't long enough for me I'll go polished head only and put a Templ8 handle on it.

Bechet45 said:
I'm looking at buying a satin finish with Dr Bomber handle - after trying one out courtesy of a generous member. In the meantime, can anyone tell me the length of the Dr Bomber handle, please? Are the handles all the same length?

If the handles aren't long enough for me I'll go polished head only and put a Templ8 handle on it.

To give you an idea Carl my Templ8 handle is aprox the same size as the Ikon Bulldog (original) handle. It is shown next to the Dr Bomber handle.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=30018&page=2

Bechet45 said:

The Dub Slim (1/2" diameter) and Big Bomber (5/8" diameter) handles are both about 3 13/16" or around 97mm long. As I understand, the Dr. Bomber is the 1/2" version of the Big Bomber.

Although I can't be 100% sure without having every handle to hand, it seems to me that they are most likely the same length. An email to Mongoose will produce a rapid answer.

Got my satin finished version yesterday and will try it today!

Anyone know if it is possible to get a satin coloured handle??? I like the handle that came with it, bit it is too shiney to match the head accurately.

MPH said:
Got my satin finished version yesterday and will try it today!

Anyone know if it is possible to get a satin coloured handle??? I like the handle that came with it, bit it is too shiney to match the head accurately.

Quote from Mongoose ordering email - October 2014

"The Satin heads come with their own special handle design that is called the "Bomber Pole" series, named for world-renowned shaver, Mongoose test-panel member, YouTube video maker, and all-around grand fellow, Paul Bombino. The standard handle with the Satin finish is the "Dr. Bomber" which, like the Dub Slim, is 1/2" diameter and about 90 grams"

If the handle you have is the Dr. Bomber with the barberpole knurl, it would seem you have the satin "default" handle, and I don't think there's anything else as "satiny" as the head.

My natural jackdaw tendency led me to the polished head with the super-shiny Dub Slim handle, with a Big Bomber handle in reserve. That handle has very shiny bits above and below the central barberpole section.

Hi

Yes I have the standard handle but it is more shiney than the head. Its not an issue for me, but just wondering if anyone had found something that matches the satin finish of the head?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom