Mongoose suspending international orders

What...... So I could just have told them that mongoose my razor didn't turn up and got my money back???? Bum. Why didn't I think of that!!!! ;-)

Seriously though, seems odd that everyone can post things OK???? Guess they have more than enough orders to keep them busy from the US, so why bother with the extra hassle to send elsewhere.

Shame I had held this company in very high regard.

I was in communication with a US vendor a while back. He said there are countries where items routinely go 'missing'. The UK wasn't one of them. Maybe they are making a blanket statement rather than single out specific countries and maybe a direct email requesting a UK shipment might be OK.
Having said that, aren't the Mongoose team trying to sell via an established vendor rather than direct now anyway? If so that makes this a moot point.

I was in communication with a US vendor a while back. He said there are countries where items routinely go 'missing'. The UK wasn't one of them. Maybe they are making a blanket statement rather than single out specific countries and maybe a direct email requesting a UK shipment might be OK.
Having said that, aren't the Mongoose team trying to sell via an established vendor rather than direct now anyway? If so that makes this a moot point.
This has shades of Weber, when they were producing more than just handles, and were selling via Amazon US. If you lived in (I think) Norway, Ireland and some others, then you could buy one, but UK and other places were a "Does Not Ship To.." lockout. Same reason given i.e. items gone missing in the post, and thus cost to Weber.

It was Billy who said "Brits", not Mongoose!

Problem with 'blue chip' postal services, apart from the cost, is the guarantee of HMRC charges - none go under the radar.
Agreed, but isn't it a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"? I work on the assumption that things will inevitably be clobbered for the taxes and fees, but I will get them. If they get by without, then it's a bonus and a nice surprise.
It seems to go in runs. I had things from ATT, Mongoose, Rockwell and others which were untouched. I then bought a Lensmate thumb rest for a Fuji X camera, which broke the run, and since then, every blasted thing has been taxed, apart from "below threshold" stuff from IB, Sterling etc.
Given the predilection of the "Powers that Be" to ram everyone on some sort of database, I was wondering if I'm on some Watch List!

I've also had tracked items go missing, no matter if I've sent them to the States or received them from there. I've also encountered more damaged and opened (with items missing) than anywhere else.
Up until four years ago, I used to run a business, one half of which was here in the UK, the other half in Chicago. We were sending a large number of packages at least once a week. I saw first hand what the couriers were capable of and it made me very untrustworthy of the courier business.
I've even had couriers throw a box at my door and drive off, only to open the door to a half empty and opened box. Signature? Sure, he just signed it himself!
I've also had Special Delivery Next Day, completely vanish off the system despite having receipts. The claim form is an absolute joke in that respect. I lost more in than one than I could recover from!
The farther the distance, the more stations (and hands) it must traverse and the more likely something will happen.

This is one of the problems I've had in the past with my Fleabay sales ........ DSRs marked down because the buyers didn't like my shipping costs....... Even though I make it clear to buyers to ask for a shipping quote to avoid any surprises. Of course, there's always one that just bids away and pulls a face when they win it and get the invoice, but that's their lookout I'm afraid.

International Tracked & Signed, or International Tracked (formerly 'Airsure') services, for instance, can see a 350g package (eg: a cased razor and some blades), with a declared value of £100 and heading for the US, cost roughly £15 ($21.38) or thereabouts. These services are the only ones that Royal Mail provide at that price level that leave you covered under Ebay and Paypal protection policies. That doesn't mean a thing if it goes missing, really ........ You still have to reimburse your buyer and take it up with the courier; but it does make it a lot less likely that a dishonest receiver notices that their delivery is not tracked and insured and decides to pull a fast one on you.

I can state, however ...... That I've never had so much as a single item go missing yet. I've had a few squeaky bum moments waiting for them to arrive beyond expected delivery dates ....... a parcel containing 1.5kg of vintage razors taking two weeks longer to turn up in India come to mind ........ but, so far .... a 100% record.

There are still a lot of countries on my exclusion lists though ............

It was Billy who said "Brits", not Mongoose!

Problem with 'blue chip' postal services, apart from the cost, is the guarantee of HMRC charges - none go under the radar.
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, I certainly dont want to upset Billy as I have high hopes of making it onto the Bunny/ Duke, passaround ;)
This is one of the problems I've had in the past with my Fleabay sales ........ DSRs marked down because the buyers didn't like my shipping costs....... Even though I make it clear to buyers to ask for a shipping quote to avoid any surprises. Of course, there's always one that just bids away and pulls a face when they win it and get the invoice, but that's their lookout I'm afraid.

International Tracked & Signed, or International Tracked (formerly 'Airsure') services, for instance, can see a 350g package (eg: a cased razor and some blades), with a declared value of £100 and heading for the US, cost roughly £15 ($21.38) or thereabouts. These services are the only ones that Royal Mail provide at that price level that leave you covered under Ebay and Paypal protection policies. That doesn't mean a thing if it goes missing, really ........ You still have to reimburse your buyer and take it up with the courier; but it does make it a lot less likely that a dishonest receiver notices that their delivery is not tracked and insured and decides to pull a fast one on you.

I can state, however ...... That I've never had so much as a single item go missing yet. I've had a few squeaky bum moments waiting for them to arrive beyond expected delivery dates ....... a parcel containing 1.5kg of vintage razors taking two weeks longer to turn up in India come to mind ........ but, so far .... a 100% record.

There are still a lot of countries on my exclusion lists though ............
Exactly that.

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, I certainly dont want to upset Billy as I have high hopes of making it onto the Bunny/ Duke, passaround ;)

Exactly that.
You are safe my friend..I guess what I was trying to point out is that there will be quite a bit of scamming going on with punters claiming their Doe back either through EBay or PayPal ..I was born in the Britain & I am not generalizing here but culturally they are indeed a sticky fingered lot..I will get Flak for sayin that but Hey I have been around the block & I make no judgements on folks doin that Kinda stuff as there aint no better feeling than getting something for free...:p:D:p

Billy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom