Moisturiser Before or Following Aftershave

There would seem to be a difference therefore between the aftershave splash and a good quality straight aftershave such as Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage, which incidentally is my favourite AS and I have used straight after a shave (after rinsing with cold water and a towel off) and most importantly has some staying power. I have previously found this AS good for both day and evening use. I'm not sure however, if this would have the staying power if mixed with a balm or moisturiser? Perhaps, best for the skin: Balm > Aftershave Splash > Eau de toilette (not on face but pulse points); quick in and out: good quality aftershave (ie top enders): Christian Dior; Dunhill Edition; Acqua di Parma etc, etc or aforementioned AS's plus ditto brand Eau de toilette.
Aftershave 'splash' isn't a reference to quality, but the fact that it's more like water, as opposed to a balm, which is more like ointment. I'd probably call Dior's Sauvage aftershave lotion a splash. They wouldn't because it sounds too downmarket. Lots of brands call their aftershave splash 'cologne', but others use that term for their EDT or EDP (more perfume than EDT). In my book, any aftershave of the same consistency as something like, say, 'Old Spice' is an aftershave splash. :)
I've also noticed that several so-called up-market brands charge a fortune for what is essentially an aftershave splash, put it in a 50ml bottle and stick a spray nozzle on it so you end up using it more like an EDT than a true aftershave.

Aftershave is for the whole shaved area, not just for the pulse points in the neck!:eek:

Last edited:
I have found that there are many, what I would call splashes to what I would call aftershaves ie splashes: Pinauld; Face Bracer; Proraso; 4711 etc; all of these have no staying power where as Aftershaves: Eau Sauvage; Acqua Di Selva - Victor; Dunhill Edition; : Acqua di Parma; Gentleman Givenchy; Paco Rabanne, etc,etc; all of which have strong staying power. Do people believe that there is no difference between an Aftershave Splash and a Pure Aftershave or is it you just get what you pay for? I can fully appreciate the difference between an AS and a Balm and the difference between an AS and a Eau de toilette / cologne but I'm still unsure of the difference between an AS and an AS Splash (which seems to have crept in as a new / recent phrase [apart from Brut; "splash it all over - Henry"; which I never used!), if of course there is any difference. Or perhaps AS splashes are just cheaper aftershaves and that is why they generally have little staying power.
You will of guessed by now that I am certainly no expert on this subject or many others for that matter!

PS: A case in point; M&S do Original Woodspice Gentleman Aftershave and Original Woodspice Gentleman Body Splash (nice and easy; straight forward and simple) and, the aftershave is a stayer!

Last edited:
There are aftershave lotions which are apart of the established shaving market for generations. The Designer fragrance market is new, and they just add a extra item in their product line up. Generally they have no additional healing properties. As most Americans can't tell the difference between a Designer AS and a EDT they are probably very similar.

An AS, AS lotion, and AS splash are the same if from a drugstore shaving brand. An AS from a Designer fragrance house, will generally just be alcohol and fragrance. A Splash could be an AS Splash or a Body Splash, there is no reason why a Body Splash could not be added to the face.

There is a lot of crossover, the Turks apply their descendent of Eau de Cologne, Kolonya liberally after shaving. The Spanish have castor oil in their version of Eau de Cologne, Agua de Colonia. In the West, these are called body splashes. The French have Lotion pour friction, which is applied over the body or used for shaving such as Lotion Opaline. The French also have Eau Fraiche, similar to a Floral Water. Britain has Eau de Portugal and Hair Friction Lotion.

Then there is the body spritz for women, and canned body spray for everyone.

We even have mists, pillow mists, and room sprays.

A very complex subject; there's a book in there somewhere; similar to the "Sock book" someone recommended to me on another thread. And I thought aftershave was just aftershave; but nothing is that simple. Can you therefore tell when buying an AS or an Eau de toilette / cologne how long it is likely to last? I assume that this is down to the alcohol content? It would be helpful (for those that are interested) if there was some such information on the packaging (a little like the alcohol content on a bottle of wine), but perhaps that is taking things a little too far?

I have used the pinned thread "Difference between Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, and Cologne, by antdad" for my referencing on this matter, but it would appear that the boundaries between the aforementioned scents and some others that have been mentioned within the above posts are a little cloudy / blurred. And then on top of all of this there is the differences between the various countries. I remember very well purchasing scent / aftershave from a street vendor in Turkey, who used to mix scents from the various bottles and containers he had on his vending cart that he used to push around. People used to come out of their houses with their own scent bottles (and presumably their own scent recipes) to be re-filled; a now bygone age I would imagine, apart from out in the sticks, where hopefully the practice still exists.

I know, there is a book; please tell!

If we are looking at applying aftershaves from a functional standpoint, it would make sense to apply a splash first as an antiseptic and then follow that up with a balm to moisturize.

Back
Top Bottom