Moisturiser Before or Following Aftershave

When should moisturiser be applied; before or following aftershave?
Before is probably best to moisturise the skin, but then the aftershave probably does not to close the pores so effectively and one would not get the sting and / or the full effects of the aftershave; following, then the moisturiser masks the aroma of the aftershave.

Before is probably best to moisturise the skin, but then the aftershave probably does not to close the pores so effectively and one would not get the sting and / or the full effects of the aftershave; following, then the moisturiser masks the aroma of the aftershave.
If you have skin that needs moisturising after your shave and you like to use an aftershave look for an aftershave splash that has moisturising properties as well as the alchol for the astringent properties. They do exist :) P.

Everyone has different skin and it's about finding the order which suits your own needs the most, and FWIW I'd recommend trying different orders to see what works the most.

My order is

1) Witch Hazel (or alum if I pick up a weeper)
2) Balm (sometimes I skip this depending on the weather or whether the soap I used)
3) Alcohol based splash

My thinking is this:-
The alcohol dries the skin and also kills bacteria that's left of the skin after shaving (or something like that). It can stop bleeding from small nicks. Therefor, it seems logical to moisturise after using the aftershave. A cologne is generally used for a scent applied afterwards to the hot spots.

I use alum/witch hazel as an astringent, followed by a moisturiser and allow it to absorb into skin. After a few minutes, I would then assume bacteria from the air could have been trapped by moisturiser and are now on my soft but newly shaved facewith all its potential to have been scraped/opened in places, so I then use an aftershave (alcohol based) to sanitize.

The above procedure also makes me feel insane. So you know... tread carefully.

I do the following:
Apply Alum to a wet face
Dry face
Apply Witch Hazel
Apply Alcohol AS lotion
If required apply Balm
If required apply Prep Cream

Note: Alcohol, toners, hot and cold water do not open or close pores.

prep-derma-protective-cream-75ml-jar_grande.jpg

Sabre, I've used all of those (apart from Brut), also denim, tabac etc ; didn't realise they were splashes; just finished Skin Bracer; perhaps that's why the're not stayers; live and learn!

Try one of these from Nivea (I use the lotion). Then a moisturizing cream. The lotion has the sting your looking for if that is what you want. Afterwards you can use your choice of aftershave splash or cologne (the cream allows the scent from the splash/cologne to last longer).

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200722_064302.jpg
    20200722_064302.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200722_064241.jpg
    20200722_064241.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2
I have used the Nivea Aftershave Balm, which I do find to be good, but I use it on its own and must admit I have not got any sting from this product, but a calming effect on the skin; however I do use the sensitive versions

I always use the following as my guide:

1, Aftershave splash (used to be called 'lotion' in my Dad's day) is alcohol and witch-hazel based and is used as an astringent to help close the pores and heal very minor wounds (hence the witch hazel) and also provides an antiseptic (the alcohol) effect to avoid infection. The scent of an AS isn't intended to last that long...it's other qualities are more important, but the fragrance can provide a great aromatherapy effect...associating that particular fragrance with a relaxing ritual.

2. Aftershave balm is usually alcohol-free and is intended to re-moisturise the skin and sooth razor-burn.

3. Hybrid lotions have varying amounts too alcohol or none and are intended to achieve all of the above.

I don't like modern lotions as such as I often find them too greasy and I don't like the face-feel of most I've tried. I much prefer to use an aftershave splash straight after drying my face at the end of the shave. I usually give this anything up to half an hour to settle. When my face feels dry (i.e. not sticky or oily from the shave/AS splash) I then put on some balm.

Different aftershaves and balms feel very different, depending on things like: using alum or witch hazel after shaving, what type of cream/soap I used, my skin type, how closely I've shaved...etc.

In the end, it's a case of trying out what you like most... what scent makes you feel good, what order you like to use splashes and balms in, or whether you prefer to use just one or none at all. Many just want to use pure witch hazel and some like to mix their own concoctions.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this incredibly important matter :rolleyes: :)

There would seem to be a difference therefore between the aftershave splash and a good quality straight aftershave such as Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage, which incidentally is my favourite AS and I have used straight after a shave (after rinsing with cold water and a towel off) and most importantly has some staying power. I have previously found this AS good for both day and evening use. I'm not sure however, if this would have the staying power if mixed with a balm or moisturiser? Perhaps, best for the skin: Balm > Aftershave Splash > Eau de toilette (not on face but pulse points); quick in and out: good quality aftershave (ie top enders): Christian Dior; Dunhill Edition; Acqua di Parma etc, etc or aforementioned AS's plus ditto brand Eau de toilette.

There would seem to be a difference therefore between the aftershave splash and a good quality straight aftershave such as Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage, which incidentally is my favourite AS and I have used straight after a shave (after rinsing with cold water and a towel off) and most importantly has some staying power. I have previously found this AS good for both day and evening use. I'm not sure however, if this would have the staying power if mixed with a balm or moisturiser? Perhaps, best for the skin: Balm > Aftershave Splash > Eau de toilette (not on face but pulse points); quick in and out: good quality aftershave (ie top enders): Christian Dior; Dunhill Edition; Acqua di Parma etc, etc or aforementioned AS's plus ditto brand Eau de toilette.
Most "Designer" fragrances do not do an AS, Eau Sauvage is an odd one out with cream and an AS. Generally they do not have any special components such as glycerine etc. I believe Paco Rabanne is just pure alcohol. Some modern designers do have an AS and gel combo such as Joop. AdP is more like Molton Brown and Penhaligons in range than a "Designer" fragrance.

Back
Top Bottom