Moderation Discussion (branched from Nishy's Farewell Thread)

Anyone like goldfish? Here's a picture of a goldfish:
CelestialEyeGoldfishWFG_Cn4D4781.jpg

Did you know that, contrary to reputation, goldfish have a memory span up to three months?

Goldfish and drinks... I appreciate the levity gents, and don't mind... But I will also observe that the attempted derailing here mysteriously goes un-moderated. Why is that not a surprise?

In your opinion the discussion was pointless, Carl. How do you base such judgments? It wasn't pointless to me and several others that wanted to continue discussing.

If I debate a subject with another member, and they make a final argument, concluded by saying they're done, why don't I have the right to respond to their final arguments?

And that response is not just for the one I'm discussing with, but for every other member and reader that finds the topic interesting, whether or not you find it interesting.
You obviously came here for reasons that doesn't have anything with shaving.

If it is OBVOUS that members came here with intentions that are not good for this forum, they shoul be baned, we had couple of examples in recent time.
I'm certain that in this case moderators wouldn't have that much work to do resulting in les harsh actions and our valued members will still be here.

With growing success of our forum this should be taken in consideration if we want to keep this place as it was before.

See, there's a basic mistake you seem to be making, jd. I didn't have a go at Roby, I had a go at his behaviour in posting as he does/did in SOTD. I didn't put you on my ignore list over a Tigers game, I put you on my ignore list because I was so annoyed at your behaviour over a long period that I wanted a rest from you - and asked the other mods to monitor your behaviour while I did.

The bit you're not getting is that I'm a mod to monitor members behaviour and act if necessary - not to your like or dislike, but to that of the forum owner. I answer to Admin should they question me, not you. Please read thhe agreement you enter into each and every time you use the forum.

Something else you might not be getting is that I volunteer my time, as a mod, running the raffles, whatever else I get into to support this forum. What do you do, have you done, to support the forum?

I don't think telling Nishy I thought it bad form to invite people to become members solely to take advantage of Bernd's generosity is being rude. But maybe you have given me a clue as why Nishy behaved as he did, taking me completely by surprise. He's not said a word to me about it and so I didn't know there was a problem.

You obviously came here for reasons that doesn't have anything with shaving.

If it is OBVOUS that members came here with intentions that are not good for this forum, they shoul be baned, we had couple of examples in recent time.
I'm certain that in this case moderators wouldn't have that much work to do resulting in les harsh actions and our valued members will still be here.

With growing success of our forum this should be taken in consideration if we want to keep this place as it was before.

Do as Carl told you (you sound like one needing to be told), and take it up with Admin if you want me or others banned.

I'm not sure how adding even more moderation will solve the complaints of over-moderation?

Edit: Snipe taken out by moderator.

Goldfish and drinks... I appreciate the levity gents, and don't mind... But I will also observe that the attempted derailing here mysteriously goes un-moderated. Why is that not a surprise?

Hopefully it goes unmoderated for the same reason ever so many minor thread deviations are allowed. And no, not because posters have been cuddling up to, agreeing with or endorsing the same kit as the general administration. Just because this is ( or has been ) a fairly light hearted and fun forum. No one has expressed any objection to our harmless interjections, in fact the only person to comment has been yourself and you've stated you don't mind ... so what's to moderate ?

JohnnyO. o/

Hopefully it goes unmoderated for the same reason ever so many minor thread deviations are allowed. And no, not because posters have been cuddling up to, agreeing with or endorsing the same kit as the general administration. Just because this is ( or has been ) a fairly light hearted and fun forum. No one has expressed any objection to our harmless interjections, in fact the only person to comment has been yourself and you've stated you don't mind ... so what's to moderate ?

JohnnyO. o/

I don't think it needs moderation, but derailing is an oft quoted reason given, even if there is no heat or insults in a thread.

Seems rather random to me, and how Carl's temperament or feelings for another member is that day.

Bechet said: ↑
My judgement is used to sense when a discussion is in danger of becoming a fight. Part of my job is to prevent fights. That particular tread was way past being reasonable by the time I got to it - it's still there, go look.

You can discuss endlessly, you can discuss pointlessly, I don't give a damn, it's your life. Start to become abusive, you attract moderation.

I'm very fond of the way you so frequently speak for lots of other un-named members, Len. One of your traits.

You're getting rather aggressive and insulting now, Carl. No need for such "aggression". .

You find this Insulting and aggressive?

This is insulting "you ****".

This is aggressive and insulting "You ******* ****". :D

Mods please feel free to remove or moderate my post as you see fit. :D

Mod edit - Could never turn down an invitation! Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bechet

To re-iterate - we need consistency regarding your own behaviour and how you then choose to moderate others. PS. All observations stated are my own.

And I'll leave it there.

Adiós.

Last edited:
I don't think it needs moderation, but derailing is an oft quoted reason given, even if there is no heat or insults in a thread.

Seems rather random to me, and how Carl's temperament or feelings for another member is that day.

Sorry Len, you'd need to refresh me on that one. I appreciate that I certainly don't read every thread or post, however in 6 years when I've been on here I honestly don't recall derailing ever being given by any mod ( including long before Bechet was a mod ) as a reason for locking down a thread or deleting a post.

JohnnyO. o/

I learned a long time ago that forums are not a free speech platform - it's like being in someone's house as a guest and you have to adhere to certain rules...or leave.

If you disagree with the home owner about his rules/or how they are enforced you can politely ask for clarification or maybe request the possibility of a change but to keep argue after a response has been provided is both impolite and borderline rude.

Hopefully one have many friends that own interesting homes where one feels more comfortable visiting. Or one can build a whole new home.

Having said that....

I wear my "Banned from B&B and TSN" badges with somewhat of pride though as I fundamentally disagree with how those forums are run and the fact that I don't belong there is, to me, proof that I'm doing the right thing :)

Back
Top Bottom