Miraki Japanese Stainless Steel Folding Razor

Anyone used one of these?

Seen one on the bay and it appears to take longer blades than the usual shavette kind of thing. I've got to hone my stropping techniques before I can keep a str8 sharp and was thinking that something like that might help me learn str8 shaving technique.

There is one post on SRP about them but so enthusiastic you'll think its from Mr Miraki himself.

I've not used one myself but have some experience with the Shavette which is basically the same - Shavettes take 3 different types of blade, including a long or wide one.

This type of razor is very unforgiving due to the fact they use factory-produced blades that are always going to be sharper than a straight razor blade honed by your average honemeister.

They might look like straight razors but almost all straight razor users say they shouldn't be used to learn how to shave with a straight razor.

Having said all that - they do give a very close and smooth shave.

at a flea market the other day I saw a penknife type thing where the "blade" was a DE snapped in two and inserted into a holder, which itself folded into a hollow handle - as I said, basically a single-blade penknife but the blade was an DE. I was told they were used by US soldiers as field razors. The guy wanted £5 for them each (he had two) but I passed.

They looked more like craft-knives such as you might find in a toolbox, but the blade opened out, swiss army style, and I could imagine a shave of sorts but didn't fancy risking it myself.

I've got a cheap shavette I picked up from the bay last year in pretty much the same circumstances as yourself. I don't use it often but when learning to strop it's nice to have something straight and sharp to hand. As Joe mentioned they tend to be quite unforgiving but for learning to use a straight razor I find this helpful, it's nice to go back to your straight as it is smoother and more forgiving that what you've been using. And useful to have something factory sharp for comparison.

I am strongly considering getting one of these. Already have a cheapo shavette which I picked up a few months ago from my trip to India but looking for something better built.

Do these take DE blades snapped in half (like the Dovo ones) or is it just the Miraki own blades that can be used with this?

Vish said:
I am strongly considering getting one of these. Already have a cheapo shavette which I picked up a few months ago from my trip to India but looking for something better built.

Do these take DE blades snapped in half (like the Dovo ones) or is it just the Miraki own blades that can be used with this?

No, Miraki uses own (special) blades.

Back
Top Bottom