mild razor

Hello!
Im new to shaving with a de safety razor, The razor im using is a merkur 34c which is my first and only safety razor. I heard good things about it and i thought i give it a go ut i always end up cutting myself and end up with razor burns on my jaw line. . I dont feel like i have a very sensitive skin but lately its been bad. So i did some research and found this feather popular which is supposed to be very mild. Now my question is: do you think a milder razor like The feather popular could help me here and is it a "better" newbie razor than The merkur 34c? Im still learning the teqhnique but i dont think thats the problem.. I always prepare my skin taking a hot shower and even use preshave oil, and i always mix a good lather but its still painful in some areas leaving me with red dots and scars..
Anyway i appreciate you for taking your timer
Thanks!

I'd say technique is to blame. The tools you have, the 34C in particular, should be able to give you a perfect shave.
Find out what's causing the problem, likely it's angle or pressure.

The 34 was my first razor, it's no terror but I did get sore spots on the jaw line too. I then got a slightly milder razor (Jagger 87) and I still managed some raw shaves.

The answer is learning the technique rather than buying another razor. A sore jaw line just means too much weight or pressure is being applied on the razor on that area. Only apply enough effort to barely keep the razor in contact with the skin.

Like all things worth learning it can take a month or two to really get the hang of technique, keep training that muscle memory and you won't need a different razor. Of course you'll buy another razor anyway, we all did!

Thank you all for your replies!
Ive already managed to buy 3 different soaps/creams and blades and 2 brushes, quite addictive haha!
I dont put any pressure at all just using the weight of the razor but what ive noticed is that when i reach the jaw line the razor doesnt glide over that area but forces it way trough making it very painful! I try to stretch the skin with my finger but still.. I have tried the tabac soap, palmolive and nivea cream with the featherblade which seems best for me, The other blades dont glide as well and sometimes Hurt my face.. I Will work on my teqhnique but i guess im just looking for a reason to buy another razor ? Haha ;)

And canuck how does it feel for you now shaving with the merkur? Was it just the teqhnique or did you find another solution? Thanks!

I have a 34 as well, but have never been able to get on with the thing..Same problem as you. Sore face...I do go back to it now and again, but I always seem to have the same sore face problem with it.

Some say your technique is maybe wrong....I'm not sure, I've been shaving with steel for a very long time, and currently use a vintage 7'oclock new..open Long comb, and that is as smooth as silk, and gives BBS shave every day with no drama or soreness whatsoever...

Maybe It's just that some of us don't get on with modern razors, I don't know, but I do find the old ones shave, and suit me much better.....I've not tried a Feather, Possibly You might try an old Gillette Tech, they are nice and mild, and a lovely shave, though I can never quiet get a BBS shave with one..they're also a whole lot cheaper than a new Feather..You should be able to pick a nice Gillette Tech up for £10 to £15.

I started with a Feather popular and then just a few months lather bought an EJ, similar to your merkur. And let me tell you that the razor is not to blame. It really comes down to technique. However i recommend using a soap that protects the skin more.

Changing soap wont prevent you cutting yourself. How are you getting on with blade angle? Start off with the razor head at 90 degrees i.e. the blade will be vertical, place it against your face and then angle the razor down until you feel the blade touch your skin. That's the shallowest angle you can use and will result in less cuts. The steeper you go the more risk you have of cuts as any jolts will result in the blade going into your skin rather than across the surface.

Ashi said:
I have tried the the featherblade which seems best for me, The other blades dont glide as well and sometimes Hurt my face.. I Will work on my teqhnique but i guess im just looking for a reason to buy another razor ? Haha ;)

First thing, get rid of the Feather blade for now. Probably not a good match for you with that razor (or almost any other razor). Those blades get mixed results from the members.

Don't use a Merkur or Derby blade either.

Ravey, Thanks for the tip.
I have tried merkur and persona blades but feather fel much better but i guess i could
Try a milder blade, hows the gillette series?

I have used the feather before in my 34c and worked very well as I have heavy stubble and it's super sharp. You could try another blade I use a lot and is very popular - polsilver. Agree with the technique comments, it can take time to get it right but I do think other razors can shave and suit you better. I only occasionally use the 34c as I find it to 'soft' for my stubble and have fallen in love with gillettes from the past...

Back
Top Bottom