Messi - the greatest ever?

Interesting stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17297792

I liked the Pele quote:

"When Messi has scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it." - Pele.

Fido said:
Interesting stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17297792

I liked the Pele quote:

"When Messi has scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it." - Pele.

Hard to disagree with Pele there Peter be interesting to see if he can keep it going.
Certainly a very very talented footballer.
Wonder if he has a Scottish Grandfather.

Typically ungracious Pele...Messi has a great club side instead of a great national side to support and back his abilities.

Greatest player of this era? Certainly. Greatest player ever? Probably

I'm no Football fan, Rugby through and through, but that Brazilian team from the 1970s world cup even had me glued to the chair, where I think Pele wins hands down over any other player is, he was good in every department free kicks corners, in the air, tackling, attack and defence, one amazing player. PS i even think he was good enough to play number 10 for Wales in rugby if he switched games.

Jamie.

I remember watching Pele. Fantastic is only one description. He was able to do things with his body that were amazing and he set a standard for generations to come.
He was 'one of a kind' and it may be because of him we have so many 'one of a kinds' now. It might be because of the standard that he set
it's so hard for any one player to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Messi is one of a kind but perhaps we just tend to favour the players from era's that had the most effect on us. I always thought Maradona the more skillfull than Pele and now I think Messi is certainly up there with those two.

Pele was a terrific athlete and the stats clearly support his claim of greatest ever but he never dribbled half the length of a pitch and beat more than half a team to score. (Englsh look away, sweaty's applaud)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzXsdZJ5AQ&feature=related[/video]

Like Fido, my Dad (sorry Fido) was at the '66 World Cup Final, but he also attended a few of the group games that were played.

In his opinion, the best player that he's ever seen is Eusébio. He could do everything; shoot, pass, tackle, head, dribble and had 2 very good feet.

And yes, Messi is an excellent player.

Ian

There's no such thing as an objective "best ever" in a sport like football. Fun discussing it though. Pele, Maradona and Messsi were/are all brilliant. I wonder if they could all have fitted in to one team?

Messi is still a baby. I don't say that to put him down, I say it to illustrate that he could actually get better yet. He's phenomenal now and he's nowhere near his peak... years to go yet.

I certainly think he will be better than Maradona or Pele, eventually. When people look back in 20 years time I suspect he'll be the one widely regarded as the best of all time.

Back
Top Bottom