Merkur Slant with feathers

Ok I've been wet shaving for a number of years mostly DE but if I have lots of spare time would not hesitate to use a cut throat or a shavette.

So I get round to buying a 37c and some feathers both I've been meaning to try for years but never got round to it.

I have not read about any recent opinions about them but what I have read on forums in the past was that feathers are bloody sharp and slants will bite you.

well I did my normal every day shave prep which is shower, EJ pre shave, proraso face lather with EJ badge hair brush.

Shaving north south then second pass south north there abouts.

to be honest it felt like the first time I use my flair tipped rocket is it cutting anything? moment but washing off the razor yes it was lots.

I got a very close shave very smooth I know it was a very close shave because when I put some proraso splash on it stung so I was impressed because I had no nicks cuts or weepers.

Overall I'm very happy with the result and it was right on the limit for close shaving because any closer and it would have been cuts and Barbers itch.

So is it an aggressive razor no if you do carve your face up with one of these it is because you have not learned to wet shave yet.

My opinion of and aggressive razor is a futur or a progress on the max settings because one lapse of judgement not maintaining the correct shave angle will lead to blood.

The slant gave me no such problems while doing my morning shave half asleep.

I'll be giving it a second try tomorrow. See if my opinons change but that said if it was a duffer you know on the first shave.

Merker 23c and dorco blades spring to mind. Handels too long and dorco is a bendy face ripping, hair pulling blade in pretty much any razor.

I use feathers in my Merkur 39C slant and it gives a remarkable shave.

I'm relatively new to DE shaving, but normally use a straight.

I'm more than happy with my slant with a feather blade.

Nik

The best shave I've ever had was got with a 39C Slant and a Sputnik blade. My favourite combination of blade and razor. If you have any Sputniks, just try it. You'll see what i mean.

Guys,
Quick question, does a slant mean less passes?

I currently use Feathers in my EJ DE89 and get a good shave with 3 passes and a touch up. Could I reduce this to less passes with a slant?

Cheers,
BR

Still same no of passes but overall very much closer, I've used my slant sat and today and well pleased with result...using merkur blade at present but now I've practiced, will change to my favourite feather blades.

privatedoc said:
Still same no of passes but overall very much closer, I've used my slant sat and today and well pleased with result...using merkur blade at present but now I've practiced, will change to my favourite feather blades.

Thanks, sounds good.

BR

Big.Dave said:
I only do 2 passes for a work day if I'm going out and have a bit more time I may do more.

With my 2 pass shave I will slide, buff and J-hook to get the job done.

Dave,
You have obviously graduated to advanced levels, I have to stand rock still when I shave, no dancing for me :icon_smile:

Cheers,
BR

Ok I've had a few more shaves with this setup and I'm really liking it they have all been close comfortable shaves. at the moment my rotation has stopped on this one I think it could stay that way for a while.

For the past 5 or 6 weeks I've used a 37C slant exclusively, but with either Gillette Swede or Astra blades.

With this combination, I just perform 1 pass WTG and a bit of touch up, and may do an ATG pass on my neck. This makes me look presentable, and I shave every day without any issue.

The Slant/Feather combo IS very nice for 2 shaves, then I find that the feather falls off a cliff during the 3rd and it's effectiveness is greatly reduced.

Ian

Read this with interest, been using the merkur 37c pass around with a feather blade for the last two days and got a good, if not brilliant shave.

Have read lots of posts in the past about the lack of longevity of the Feather blade, I will have another shave tomorrow with the same blade and set up. I are also just purchased a 39c via TSR and will be trying this soon, possible will try with a Sputnik blade whic is probably my favourite blade at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom