Merkur Query?

Why not try using TSR's own review section for others' descriptions of razors. There's a wealth of info there. e.g Click on "Search" box, then "More" for advanced search, "progress" as keyword, tick "Search titles only", select "Search in Forums" "Reviews".

I can't speak about the Futur as I don't own one but my Progress is a top-notch razor and always gives a great shave. I do tend to leave it on the same setting; you find the level that suits you and stick with it. It's a plus that you can tweak the setting slightly between passes, which I usually do. I go slightly milder on the final pass but it's all about personal preference.
BTW: It's not just 5 settings on the Progress it can be set anywhere on the scale, so half-settings are possible for instance.

However, @AndyBoyUK I would suggest you stick with one razor for a month or so while you get used to it, so I wouldn't recommend chopping and changing razors so early on in your hobby.

I'm with @ob21. I've got 5 razors: Muhle R89 (my first and still a great razor), the Merkur 38c, 39c (slant my favourite), the Progress 510 (always on setting 2), and the ATT S1 which is a remarkable build, but gives the same shave as the 39c. Stick with your first razor until you can comfortably shave without nicks, cuts, or weepers. If you want an adjustable (and most of us have one), go for the Progress -- either short handled 500 or long handled 510. Once you're comfortable with that it'll be time to experience the all-out pleasure of the Merkur slant, IMHO. As soon as you've acquired this stable, you can start on vintage DEs and the new SEs. Lots of shiny stuff to empty your bank account.

ATT is just the abbreviation for Above The Tie, an American company that produces stainless steel razors. The S1 is a straight bar, or closed comb slant razor. Their closed comb models end in 1, whereas their open comb models end in 2. You can find these at www.executive-shaving.co.uk, or www.abovethetie.com
Thanks
The Muhle R89 Safety Razor looks like it is comparable to my Merkur 23C.
My razors. Feather Popular which I will be using for a while longer and Merkur 23C.

Don't waste your money on buying any more razors right now. Get your technique right first. Once your regularly getting a great shave then fill your boots. Like Blademonkey said, no fancy expensive razor is going to do a good job until you get your techniques right. Take it slowly, master your chosen tools and progress from there.

Don't waste your money on buying any more razors right now. Get your technique right first. Once your regularly getting a great shave then fill your boots. Like Blademonkey said, no fancy expensive razor is going to do a good job until you get your techniques right. Take it slowly, master your chosen tools and progress from there.
I agree wholeheartedly I'm taking in all that you post, it's not wasted ....

The 23c is advertised as having a light handle and light head. Maybe someone on here who is more of an expert can tell you whether a light razor might be adding to your problem. Most on here prefer a heavier razor so it does the work.

I chased the next razor far too quickly when I started and it's a mistake you will buy and sell very good and bad razors through lack of knowledge and understanding. Use what you've got for 6 months until you can use them properly I've had a ATT M1,M2,S1,S2 Mongoose, Kai Captain, Ikon B1 all far too quickly all very good razors but didn't know how to use them. Stop chasing the rainbow and learn how to use what you've got, you haven't got to kiss all the girl's in one night you've got the rest of you life.

Thanks yes that's what I intend to do, I'm not in any hurry, plus I have to wait till my shaving bumps have healed ....
You said you was looking for a lightweight razor to buy, you already have a perfectly good light weight razor so for the life of me I can not see why you want another one, it's not your razor that is giving you bad shaves its you! I'm sorry but it had to be said, keep your money in your pocket and put into practise what countless people have been telling you, a propper pre shave routine, a light touch with your razor and above all take your time and with time you will get better and then if you want to sure buy yourself a new razor, but for now all you need is practice. Sorry if you think I've been a little blunt but it needed saying.

Slant and you can recommend ... Thanks

I'm sorry I did not agree with your suggestion about a slant, I'm afraid there is no razor that will improve andys technique only practice can do that and the razor he has got already is capable of giving him a good shave.
I still think he feels his razor is at fult so therefore he thinks another razor will work, buying a slant although a good razor type is not going to improve his shaves, only time and practice can do that. I'm sure you understand.

I'm sorry I did not agree with your suggestion about a slant, I'm afraid there is no razor that will improve andys technique only practice can do that and the razor he has got already is capable of giving him a good shave.
I still think he feels his razor is at fult so therefore he thinks another razor will work, buying a slant although a good razor type is not going to improve his shaves, only time and practice can do that. I'm sure you understand.

Paul I staying with the Feather Popular maybe to the end of the year, in order to perfect my technique
I'm just looking ahead, for all I know my future razor could be a Feather AS-D2 which appears to be very mild and just right for my skin type ...

Back
Top Bottom