Merkur 34c - HD Review

This is a first class razor.

It is very well made and has a good heft to it as well. It is said to be a good begginers razor, well I can tell you that it also a good old hands razor as well.

It is not aggressive at all, however, it is a truely fantastic shaver. The best blade combo I have found is with the Gillette Super Thin. It performs very well with Feathers & Astra Super Platinums too.

Re: Merkur 34c - HD

I have been using the HD for over 6 months now, and love it. Easy blade replacment but not as easy as TTO.
It was my first razor, as a DE shaving novice ( noob to young people!), and I reckon I would have been happy using it as my only razor, but I cannot help wanting to try new razors now. god damn RAD.

I did use derbys with it, but got my sampler pack last week and a gillette yellow in it is better by a mile. Havent tried a feather yet.

I think this is a good 'new' razor for beginner and veteran alike. From what I am reading the new EJ might be a serious competitor to the HD. what has been said in these forums, the EJ has better workmanship/finish?, but I have no issues with my HD with the finish.

All that being said, I got a slim adjustable off Erwin and am loving that atm. :D Slim is definitely less aggressive than the HD, but I only have it set on 3 atm!

I agree, 34C & Derby Extras is like glueing a stanley blade to an old toothbrush, they used to cut me to bits. Found Iridiums & Feathers in a HD- smooth! People say that this little razor may be a bit on the small size for some. Let me tell you I have hands like shovels and it's a pleasure to use, comfortable and easy to manoeuvre.

A must have for any wet shaver. If there were to be an "every man's razor", the HD is it. Good weight and balance, aggressive enough without going too far, less head bulk than any TTO, superb with a Swede.

My "go to" is the first DE razor I ever bought is the 34C HD. I find it works just perfect with Super Iridiums and Red Personnas. I have other razors and I rotate (somewhat randomly) around them, but I always go back to the 34C for a comfort shave.

Of course, I only ordered my EJ yesterday, this time next week it could be change about.

I recently purchased a 34c Hd after using various razors from Future EJ and vintage.

The 34c gives me without doubt the most comfortable and close shave. I have used various blades Derby(ok) Astra (good) and Feathers (v good)

I do not feel the razor is aggressive in any way and I love the short handle it is so easy to to manage around the face.

this is a truly great razor.

Valuer

I have to admit that, despite all the gripes I had about it being too aggressive, the 34 HD is actually an excellent razor.

It was my first razor, too, which is why I never sold it on, even though I was close on a few occassions.

This past week I've been using it exclusively, with some great results. Which makes think that my technique a while back wasn't as good as I thought it was. Lovely heft to it. Good stuff.

I love my 34C HD and would not part with it. Using it with Feather blades give me the perfect shave (or as close as it's possible to get). My everday razor is a Futur but the 34C is never allowed to gather too much dust :)

Back
Top Bottom