Mann & Federlein Straight restore

I haven't posted any restores lately so here's one that I made some new scales for. The blade is a decent sized 13/16" German make and very similar in shape to a Filarmonica - it even has the number 14 stamped on which is used on Filis.

Scales are Cocobola, a dense and oily wood ideal for scales as they need some weight and the natural oil results in a nice lustre with a bit of Ren wax. Because the wood is almost black at the end I made a brass and ebony wedge - brass always seems to go well with these rich coloured woods.

Another photo

Lovely stuff Rob, that Cocobola really polishes up well, the grain is stunning. Wedge compliments it perfectly.
I would love to find some connection between these 14 blades and the Filarmonica's, I have seen loads of different makes that look virtually the same as the Filly's. Sure to be a great shaver!

How is the stability of the Cocobola? I am contemplating using some myself and some Snakewood.

Hi Jason. Regarding the wood I'd have no hesitation in using it again - a bit easier to work with than ebony, but exhibits all the same qualities you want for scales i.e. A natural resilience to water, density for weight and a fine grain that looks good.

My three favourite woods so far are Rosewood, ebony and now cocobola - of these rosewood is by far the hardest to work and ebony is the dirtiest - cocobola is a nice in-between.

BraveBlades said:
looks beautiful Rob! nice work - i take it that one is a keeper (since i see no price)

It's on my for sale folder - http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/sendthread.php?tid=24044

Back
Top Bottom