Mama Bear's Cocoa

Well, what can I say....

This review is for the Cocoa soap, but the shave properties are the same for the other scents I've tried. Basically, pick a scent you like the sound of!

For those of you that are not familiar with Mama Bear's, they are made by a lady called Sue in the States and are lovingly hand made. They are a melt and pour variety (glycerine with many other goodies added) and come in plastic, screw top tubs which, while not fancy, are very practical and great for travel. There are many, many scents to choose from.

This is the most decadent soap I own! I already have Rosemary Mint (fantastic for summer) and Dragon's Blood (nice, spicy, but not quite as nice as the Rosemary Mint).

I would say that of all my soaps, including Tabac, Cade, MWF and Trumpers Coconut, that Mama Bear's soaps consistently give me the closest, most comfortable shaves. I have had just as good shaves from other soaps, but I've also had mediocre and even poor shaves from them too. Mama Bear's is my go to soap for "mission critical" shaves. I have never had a bad shave with them (or from Taylor's Rose cream!)

I decided I wanted another MB soap for the colder months. This one is made with pure Cocoa EO, which according to Sue, isn't the cheapest, but she wasn't happy with the other chocolate oils on offer.

The soap is dark brown in colour, as to be expected, and smells just like pure cocoa powder. It's dark and bitter smelling, like sniffing some dark chocolate. It's not sweet at all, which I was very pleased about. I don't enjoy sweet scents.

The soap lathers and shaves just like the other MB soaps, which are the best performing soaps at any price.

What I really notice about these soaps, is that they do not dry my skin AT ALL. Even Cade, and Tabac, whilst not bad, still dry my skin slightly. Also, I find that during a particularly close shave, that some soaps can sting a bit when you rinse off between passes. I think this is the soapy water in the sink - clean water does not sting me as much. This only happens when I've shaved very (too?) close.

However, I do not get this feeling at all with Mama Bear's. The skin care is exceptional and my face feels soft, smooth and comfortable after the shave, with hardly any need for any other products. I use a little skin food and that's all my skin needs. Must be all the glycerine!

The cocoa scent lingers for a couple of hours and is warm and subtle, it's very comforting!

After the shave I've just had (with an HD and IP blade), I cannot imagine how much better a shave could possibly be. No nicks, no cuts, no irritation AT ALL.

If you do not own a Mama Bear's soap, you are denying yourself possibly the best shave soap out there. You Tallow guys are all insane.

This soap is HIGHLY recommended! :mrgreen:

Thank you Sue. :D

This may sound really stupid, but I cant bring myself to purchase mama bears soaps.

Whilst im not anti american or any such thing I just cant get around the name and also the artwork on the packaging...

I really must try and brake this stupid phobia i have of bad design on labels.

Fido said:
I begrudge the cost of shipping a relatively cheap soap, I'm sure it's excellent though.

"The Dutch Shaving Shop" have been stocking these. Not sure how much, not sure what it costs for shipping. Might be slightly cheaper than direct.

Fido said:
I begrudge the cost of shipping a relatively cheap soap, I'm sure it's excellent though.

Solution: Just buy loads and spread the cost of shipping! I too have used MB soaps and find them very enjoyable to use.

I agree with everything in the OP, but also agree that the packaging can be rather twee. Another solution: Peel the sticker off the lid. Add your own if you wish or just sniff to identify each distinctive scent. :D

I wish Mama Bears came as pucks and not in a tub as they smell so good I'd like to use them in the shower, or at least have the option to be able to.

So many soaps on the go and even a really good lather doesn't use much, so any extra use (hand, bath, shower) helps me use them and get through them.

What's going on with soapal chemist (sic) - hope she does that layer cake thing. My kids suggested a 3-D version, more like a Russian Doll or a gobstopper, where a small soap is coated and re-coated with a different "flavours" so they wear-off with all-round use, releasing and mixing the lower layers as the soap gets used.

That said I've been cracking shaves lately from a Superspeed and Tabac: as classic a combo as you can get.

Rev-O said:
What's going on with soapal chemist (sic) - hope she does that layer cake thing. My kids suggested a 3-D version, more like a Russian Doll or a gobstopper, where a small soap is coated and re-coated with a different "flavours" so they wear-off with all-round use, releasing and mixing the lower layers as the soap gets used.

Isn't Soapal :lol: on holiday at the moment?

For some reason your idea of a soap gobstopper made me think of the scene in The Princess Bride where Miracle Max adds the chocolate layer to the pill he creates. 3'58" if anyone's interested:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0&NR=1">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0&NR=1</a><!-- m -->

Soapalchemist is on holiday, she said that she was sending the samples out once she gets back.I am hoping they are as good as the mama bears is reputed to be.Much better to source in the UK/EU, in my opinon.

I think that is Mamoo's shop.He is a member here but the price of the mama bears soap put me off.

jhclare said:
You Tallow guys are all insane.

Maybe - but then of all the soaps, sticks and creams I've tried, high in tallow seems to be the common factor in those most pleasant to use (Erasmic was great - albeit with a strange smell - until it was silently reformulated and then it turned to jobbie with a strange smell)

jhclare said:
Thank you Sue. :D

I thought you were John, has it got some sort of phytooestrogen in it then? :D

Millay said:
This may sound really stupid, but I cant bring myself to purchase mama bears soaps.

Whilst im not anti american or any such thing I just cant get around the name and also the artwork on the packaging...

I really must try and brake this stupid phobia i have of bad design on labels.

Haha! You MUST get past this. They are fantastic soaps. I'd be happy if I was told I could use nothing but MB's ever again. :mrgreen:

I do however wish it was more widely available in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom