Make Shavettes great (again?)

Hey guys,
I would love to start a discussion about shavettes.

When I go through some threads I often come across words like cheap, unforgiving, bad balance, cuts, etc.
In my opinion, shavettes can be so much more than just the ugly sister of a beautiful straight razor.

Based on countless conversations with men I came to the conclusion, that a lot would love to start shaving with a straight razor, but they are too scared because it's a big solid blade.
They told me, that they would feel more comfortable with a shavette, and they would give it a try.
Unfortunately, they mostly end up buying cheap shavettes in combination with DE blades, have a bad experience with them, and end up turning their back completely on straight razor shaving. I think this is really sad…
I see that as an opportunity to build a bridge between the younger and the older generation and bring the beautiful "straight razor shaving" ritual closer the modern men.

I want to create a Shavette that combines the beautiful design, attention to detail, and the high-quality materials from a custom-made straight razor with the simplicity of a modern Shavette. A Shavette that is a piece of art and a tool alike.

The Feather AC DX is a really beautiful razor and comes really close to what I would consider as “fantastic shavette”. I just think there are still things to improve in terms of design, different blade types, and price.

As already mentioned, I would like to create a shavette that is not just a tool that delivers an awesome shave. IMO that are the basics every product should already have. I am talking about creating a piece of art that men can use with pure joy.

Even though I'm already working for two years on that project and the prototype is in its finale stages I would love to hear how you guys see shavettes.
It's probably a bit late to start a conversation with you guys about that topic, but better late than never :D.

I don't want to you that thread to sell something. I would really just like to hear what you guys think about shavettes in general?
What are the important points you're looking at when considering buying a shavette?
Is a shavette just a tool that has to deliver a good shave or are aesthetics, sustainability, and quality also important points you're looking for?

I'm hoping for a great discussion and express my thanks to all participants.

_DSC2910.jpg
I have two, shave is the same, I prefer my Dovo because the handle is not trying to imitate a a classic straight razor. I like the way both got blade holders for normal DE blades and long ones. Would be great if they also accepted hair shaper blades and SE blades and maybe even injector blades. I am a fan of the design with a small bulb in blade holder protecting the pointy top end of blades. Weight added would make Dovo more popular among hobby shavers on forums but personally I have no problem with the current version.

Last edited:
Big fan of the Vanta RA112 here, build quality can be iffy but the design is superb.

48593910302_6fbdd1728e_z.jpg

I got this one 3 days ago and only one shave so far but I think it's fantastic, perfect wait, well balanced, I love it.

The only thing I'm missing is the 3" blade length but I'll get used to, of that I'm sure.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

A North American product was released around 5 years ago. I am not sure you could improve on it. I can't remember the name other than it was abbreviated to three letters.

The Kai Captain with an AC Pro blade or the DX with a proguard both give shaves that are pretty close in feel to a straight razor shave.

The SS if used correctly behaves like a hybrid somewhere between a DE and a straight.

The only real issue with these is the price but you can pick up cheap Chinese clones on Alibaba.

DE blade shavettes are OK in a pinch but the shaving experience is very very different to a straight razor.

For me, whilst I like various AC Club formats they are a different shaving experience and always will be unless the blade format is addressed.

Your conversations with people about why they are put off by traditional straights does not match with mine over the last few years. It isn't a big solid blade that puts someone off it is the cost of maintenance. If they could find a shavette which behaved and seemed just like a traditional straight buy required only blade changes or some other easy cost effective maintenance (like a rolls razor) then they would purchase that. Current blade formats do not fulfil that need.

Be careful - your starting market analysis might not be quite right.

A North American product was released around 5 years ago. I am not sure you could improve on it. I can't remember the name other than it was abbreviated to three letters.

IBC the Irvin Barber Company. If Manumik is who I think then he has succeeded in improving on it IMHO (impressions from test razors)

I owned many folding and non folding shavettes like Feather Artists (RG-SS-DX), Schick ProLine, KAI (captains, Excelia), CJB, Sam Seong, Kamisori and a whole bunch of shavettes that use half or whole DE blades or the long shavette blades. My favorites are still the Feather DX and Schick ProLine among those named.

IBC the Irvin Barber Company. If Manumik is who I think then he has succeeded in improving on it IMHO (impressions from test razors)

I owned many folding and non folding shavettes like Feather Artists (RG-SS-DX), Schick ProLine, KAI (captains, Excelia), CJB, Sam Seong, Kamisori and a whole bunch of shavettes that use half or whole DE blades or the long shavette blades. My favorites are still the Feather DX and Schick ProLine among those named.
The folding Excelia was the best by far. How I miss that razor. I gave mine away.

Manumik if you are who I think you are then you know my opinion. (the guy from Belgium)
btw It's polite to introduce yourself in the welcome forum when becoming a member of a forum.
Hey! Of course, I am who you think I am :D. Happy to see that our ways cross once again.
I will hop over and introduce myself right now... Totally forgot that.

Your conversations with people about why they are put off by traditional straights does not match with mine over the last few years. It isn't a big solid blade that puts someone off it is the cost of maintenance. If they could find a shavette which behaved and seemed just like a traditional straight buy required only blade changes or some other easy cost effective maintenance (like a rolls razor) then they would purchase that. Current blade formats do not fulfil that need.

Be careful - your starting market analysis might not be quite right.
That is definitely something I also hear a lot. Especially from people who already have some knowledge about the whole wet shaving topic. I talked to a lot of different people to get the best idea who could be the ideal customer for that razor. Some men had almost zero knowledge but always like the Idea, some have beards and use shavettes regularly to style their beards. The funny part is the more people I talk to the more differant aswers I got.
It's very interesting to hear those different opinion and I'm looking forward to getting more.

Maybe the pro barber market is the market to aim for?
That is a wonderful question. Thanks for bringing that up.
I can say that one of the positive aspect of shavettes are that they can work for many people. I wanted to take full advantage of that and made the razor work with different blade type like DE-blades, Feather AC blades and injector blades. But of course, as barbers are using shavettes on a regular bases it was a big point to create something the works barbers and wet shavers alike.

Back
Top Bottom