Maggard Razor MR5 Stainless Steel & V3A head

Got the itch recently, and on a whim, bought myself a Maggard Razor MR5 with V3A head on Ebay. Never heard anything about this razor but the photo of the stainless steel handle sold it to me. Turns out the seller is a real top bloke sending me a couple of packs of Astras, and an assorted pack of 15 x exotic looking blades with it as well, very unexpected.

Have now had a few shaves with it, and can report that the handle is one of the most ergonomic ones I own. The 2 deep grooves are just perfectly placed for your fingers to naturally fall into them and grip firmly. The length is also perfect allowing my little finger to support the end.

It's a hefty beast at 113g, and because of that, had a very natural feel on the face as the weight is more than enough to glide round your face under it's own stream. The head that is fitted is the V3A, which Maggard class as their aggressive closed comb one. After a 2 pass shave, and the minimal of tidy up, I achieved a lovely smooth shave with clean feeling skin. I also own both versions of the Muhle R41, which I class as ‘aggressive', and there are similarities. I definitely would not recommend this head to a beginner, but if you know how to handle a shave with some experience, it's a very satisfying instrument.

The price alone (even when new, I got mine 'used') is worthy just to get the fabulous handle, but with the head as well, it's a positive bargain!

P1030176.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030167.jpg

P1030166.jpg
P1030165.jpg

Got the itch recently, and on a whim, bought myself a Maggard Razor MR5 with V3A head on Ebay. Never heard anything about this razor but the photo of the stainless steel handle sold it to me. Turns out the seller is a real top bloke sending me a couple of packs of Astras, and an assorted pack of 15 x exotic looking blades with it as well, very unexpected.

Have now had a few shaves with it, and can report that the handle is one of the most ergonomic ones I own. The 2 deep grooves are just perfectly placed for your fingers to naturally fall into them and grip firmly. The length is also perfect allowing my little finger to support the end.

It's a hefty beast at 113g, and because of that, had a very natural feel on the face as the weight is more than enough to glide round your face under it's own stream. The head that is fitted is the V3A, which Maggard class as their aggressive closed comb one. After a 2 pass shave, and the minimal of tidy up, I achieved a lovely smooth shave with clean feeling skin. I also own both versions of the Muhle R41, which I class as ‘aggressive', and there are similarities. I definitely would not recommend this head to a beginner, but if you know how to handle a shave with some experience, it's a very satisfying instrument.

The price alone (even when new, I got mine 'used') is worthy just to get the fabulous handle, but with the head as well, it's a positive bargain!

View attachment 30616

View attachment 30617

View attachment 30618

View attachment 30619
View attachment 30620
There is nothing quite as satisfying as buying a razor on a whim, good for you :) P.

Gosh, this forum has certainly quietened down in recent times. Before there would have been all sorts of opinion flying around at how crap this razor was, or how much someone also enjoyed using it - now, nothing LOL Maybe you're all using social media now?

Gosh, this forum has certainly quietened down in recent times. Before there would have been all sorts of opinion flying around at how crap this razor was, or how much someone also enjoyed using it - now, nothing LOL Maybe you're all using social media now?

Alright then.

THE RAZOR IS AWFUL.

Also.

THE RAZOR IS THE BEST.

Ok, they were both lies. I've not used it but it does look very nice indeed. I've seen a few sellers on Evil Bay selling Stainless Steel handles that look remarkably similar to the one you own and wondered whether they come from the same factory perhaps? I've been questioning whether to pick up the short stubby heavy one Maggards sell.

Alright then.

THE RAZOR IS AWFUL.

Also.

THE RAZOR IS THE BEST.

Ok, they were both lies. I've not used it but it does look very nice indeed. I've seen a few sellers on Evil Bay selling Stainless Steel handles that look remarkably similar to the one you own and wondered whether they come from the same factory perhaps? I've been questioning whether to pick up the short stubby heavy one Maggards sell.

I'm dumb enough not to even realise they did a selection of handles! Have just had a look and I now really fancy those anodised blue ones. The one I have is specd at 3.3 inches in length, is that the one you fancy or another design?

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/safety-razors/handle-only/

Maggards are a treasure trove of shaving goodness. Even though there are some fantastic UK based shaving shops, Maggards seem to have the widest range of items.

It was the MR8 handle I liked of the look of but after checking out the specs it seems it is longer than I initially thought with the MR5 being shorter in length.

mmm... MR8 only 8mm longer than the MR5. Still, 8mm is 8mm LOL Must admit it's the grooves in the MR5 handle that makes it such an outstanding handle for me...

Here is my V3A head with the MR1 handle which I like very much. Love this combination :)

87ytWfk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom