Mad for it

Photography has kept me sane here in China where things are...a little different to back home (and that's an understatement if ever there was one). Cheaper than hitting the bottle too. Looking forward to getting to know some of you chaps via your photos and posts. My flickrstream here: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmicsausage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.flickr.com/photos/cosmicsausage</a><!-- w -->

Ostensibly teaching English. In reality going slowly mad I think. I spent a couple of years in Beijing as an FA before getting royally shafted. So I sit here and dream of Blighty, a kind of dry-cleaned, sanitised version, somewhere in the sixties or fifties where people were civil and we still had the birch and hospital tea-trolleys. I've been in Sales most of my life but at 50 now, I'm guessing there's not much call in the current climate (though conversely selling oneself out of a recession could be a lot of fun with the right product and crowd). So I sit here hatching mad ideas: I'll track down that cut-throat guy in Germany and sit in front of his shop in all weathers, Shaolin-like, until he relents and decides to teach me all he knows. Or, I'll learn how to bake really brilliant sourdough bread and bake for a living. Or become a freelance photographer: I'd go mental doing weddings. Round and round they go, and all the while the clock is ticking....The new term starts again next Monday and then it will be back to dealing with culture-clash and stress. What do you chaps do?

My sort of photography Captain. You've had a few requests for some of your pictures from online galleries and whatnot, what do you normally say to such a request?

If you haven't seen it yet check my signature or the food and drink section to keep your sanity.

Lovely photography. It's a style that I've not attempted, but it's getting difficult to attempt it these days without being branded as some sort of pervert.

Ian

Wow! I'll be getting my little oven back next month and will have a go at that bread. I just love the smell and taste of freshly baked bread. Must be a good feeling making your living doing something you're passionate about, is it? Re requests for photo use; short answer, it depends. Do you have something in mind? Ian, I know what you mean: when I was in London last year for a visit there was a really weird vibe in the air. Orwell would turn in his grave. Fortunately here in China, people haven't been PC-brainwashed. Taking a photo of a child does not get you pigeon-holed as some kind of perv. Conversely, there is no law about photography and so strictly-speaking you have no right to photograph anything unless specifically requested to do so. Can get a bit tricky. I was once chased down the street by an irate bottle-collector who took umbrage...My formidable Chinese wife finally had him shut up bitching.

Captain Cavendish said:
heroblob said:

LOL Nice ride: what is it?

Aprilia RSVR 1000. My baby. :D
Picture032.jpg

Great pictures Captain. I particulary like the one 'small boy choses lantern' and think it would make a brilliant painting.

If only one had the skill.

By the way, I can't even take a bad photograph.

My position on photo copyright is spelled out on my flickrstream. I duplicate it here: 'I assert copyright over my photos. If you want to use them for any reason, kindly show me the courtesy of a flickrmail and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.' So, to spell it out: I value my creativity and simply ask that people respect that, have some common courtesy, don't thieve the images but that if they want to use something they talk to me about it and maybe there's something I could do, depending what they have in mind. You seem to have something in mind but refuse to say what, which quite frankly makes me rather suspicious of your motives. Can you not simply come out with it? Transparency a la Wikileaks and all that?

My Uncle Jack used to ride a BSA Gold Star. Sadly, very sadly, bikes passed me by though I remember a ride in Ibiza on the back of some 1100cc beast which was utterly exhilarating. In Nanning where I live, many people ride bikes, scooters and such like but they are legally capped at 125cc. I'm riding a sooped-up 49cc scooter but it sees off most things on the road, with the exception of proper - here illegal - bikes over 125cc. I now am totally hooked on scooting and would love more than getting a BBS shave some day to actually get a proper bike but I don't know how to change the gears!! Plus my status here as a Johnny Foreigner is at the whim of expediency and corruption and so not very stable. If I ever get back to the West I will make it a priority to get licensed to ride and I deeply regret not having done so earlier. Two wheels is the way to go! It's just such a blast. Anyone else smitten by them?

Back
Top Bottom