Mac mini owners

No the receiver doesn't have hdmi in unfortunately, ball ache. I don't want to upgrade the receiver. Can't understand why it doesn't allow switchable audio out from the mini.

This looks like it would solve the issue?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-input-1-output-4x1-HDMI-Switch-with-Optical-Out-/160899077256?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2576551488

Boab, I'm no expert on Macs, but I do run an Onkyo AVR with my Windows PC. If I use HDMI audio it's a completely different sound card than if I use toslink. Are you perhaps trying to switch output on a sound card rather than trying to switch sound card?

That's probably not helpful I would imagine.

Geniuses don't sell stuff firstly you would have spoken to a person trying there best.

When you go system preferences>sound>output what options have you got?

hunnymonster said:
mattyb240 said:
Geniuses don't sell stuff firstly you would have spoken to a person trying there best.

Unfortunately one in a chain headed up by ex-DSG head bummer John Browett (and we all know what a model of retail excellence Dixons/Currys/PCWorld is)

He's gone now :)

Any update?

It won't work on my current setup. It needs a tv or receiver to accept the hdmi signal then split it to output the audio and video separately. I will probably return it. No idea why they don't allow you to do this, it must cause issues in the OS or something.

Hi Boab,

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, to access the audio setting try 'Alt' + click the speaker in the task bar. This will give you the options for the 'audio port', 'output device' and 'input device'.

Have you spoken to an Apple Genius?

screenshot20121112at185.png

I have just selected digital output, it doesn't work! Hence the postings.

Update on this, I got the mac to output the way I wanted.
HDMI output video to the TV.
Toslink output digital audio to the amp.
The solution was to install Windows. I concluded that it was a driver issue and windows confirmed it. No idea why Apple don't write a proper driver to solve this. Got to love Windows...... it just works.

Same as their network stack... it works (mostly) but hideously "chatty" and falls over with alarming frequency when presented with malformed frames (almost all other vendors' implementations simply discard the malformed frames) - badly written.

Bonjour my arse. Glad I have it suppressed on all the networks I manage (at home and at work).

Apparently the last mac update will allow win 8 to work on Bootcamp. I will give it a go tonight, this could be a perfect OS for TV/Media centre, controlled by a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom