Mac mini owners

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Can you output HDMI for picture and sound through toslink at the same time?

HDMI to a TV toslink to a receiver.

You can select individual sound output on the Mac mini, however the way it's sounds like your going you would have to change the output on the tv?

Mac mini>HDMI>TV>TOS link>receiver? Correct?

If that's the case you would have to do it from the tv as the Mac mini plays no part in it.

No I want to use the HDMI to output the picture to a TV and I want the toslink from the mac into my AV receiver.

Mac Mini> TV - HDMI
Mac Mini> AV/R - Toslink

As with my ATV I suspect both outputs pump out simultaneously if not I read that

"If you run Lion it's possible to create Multi-Output Devices in Audio MIDI.app (as opposed to Aggregate Devices, where audio cannot be routed to multiple outputs at the same time). With this, you should be able to send the same audio to multiple outputs simultaneously, and thereby bypass the TV as switch"

That should be all good then. System preferences>sound>output. This will show you where you can output too, HDMI will be on the list but so will anything else that is connected an capable. Shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have a link to that Tony? I want to make 100% sure before I lay down the cash.

What I am worried about is when running HDMI to the TV the mac will not output through the audio port, I had heard it is one or the other which I find very odd.

Boab said:
What I am worried about is when running HDMI to the TV the mac will not output through the audio port, I had heard it is one or the other which I find very odd.

Not true. I used to link my MBP via HDMI and could select any audio output I wanted. The apple store has a 14 day return policy if it does not do what you want?

Boab said:
Can you output HDMI for picture and sound through toslink at the same time?

HDMI to a TV toslink to a receiver.

Yes you can!

Until recently I was doing it with my old Onkyo 506 AV Receiver which didn't support audio over HDMI.
Mid 2009 Intel Mac Mini with DVI-HDMI adapter.

Toslink only supports upto 5.1 Dolby Digital I think, no HD sound.

There seems to be a lot of discussion here which is confusing me as to whether the new models do or don't.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3238453?start=30&tstart=0
Might be a new mini announced today anyway so I will wait and see what that spec is.

Well it doesn't work so far, can't output hdmi to the tv and use the digital output for sound. I'm trying various configs but I can see it going back to the shop. Don't even get me started on the 'genius' I spoke to today when I was buying it.

What's the reason you are particularly bothered about having HDMI & optical outputs working simultaneously, TV speakers aren't going to be great and I guess you flick off the TV sound when watching films or listening to tunes?

I have a cinema setup at home so I don't always watch movies on the tv as I have a projector. I also never use the tv for sound as the 5.1 system is so much better. This has to be a software issue which I'm sure they could easily fix. I am guessing the older mac minis didn't have a dedicated hdmi port to output video so the toslink was the default audio output. It's a shame as it's a decent little box for a home theatre.

Doesn't your receiver process audio over HDMI?

Another option is take it back and get the older Mac Mini, mine is used solely for home entertainment and it's pretty good with the 2Ghz Core2Duo & 4gig ram (only 3 usable) running Lion. And you get a optical drive:D

Back
Top Bottom