Lynx Africa A/S

My nephew got me this for Xmas. I was a bit dubious thinking it was a bit naff/young for me. The scent is what I would describe as 'Old school' and.....is very nice. The AS properties are what shocked me! It has glycerine and a form of castor oil plus some other stuff that would take a week to type. Post shave, my face felt soothed and comfortable. Shocked? I was, and at about £7 for the bottle I won't hesitate to buy these products for myself. I wondered afterwards what my opinions would have been if it had been manufactured by one of the more expensive/classier outfits . We are all susceptible to marketing hype, no?

I didn't know Lynx made an AS, I just thought they targeted the teen pre shave market...my mother still buys me Lynx deo thinking that I'm going to pull.

If you like it and it works what else needs to be said but how would you describe the scent?

Hi AD
I am shite at describing scents. It is a dark, chocolatey, leathery smell :oops: :oops: I do find it old school and nothing wrong with that. If you can get to the bigger supermarkets, they have a button thingy on the Lynx display that you push and the smell alone comes out, clever buggers. As an AS it is excellent. My last review was for a £30 balm, now a £6 AS. Is it 5 x better? Mmmm!

The new Lynx scent "Instinct" might provide a good AS as Lynx claim it contains "the scent of rare leathers". After trying some proper leathery colognes and EDT's this might be a cheapo turn up for the books.

Africa however reminds me of my P.E. changing rooms and sweaty boys (ooooh err).

I remember the days when the 3 original Lynx scents were great Oriental, Musk and Spice.

Now when you use those words the "kids" imagine you as an old fart.

Ah the old "Dutch Oven" always get a reaction...and sometimes revenge. I think the new Lynx fragrances have been engineered to turn to the smell of sweat after a hour or two so you put more on. These days I use Mitchums which I find is effective and not too strong to interfere with my chosen scent.

From a review on Basenotes.net

A very vanilla/sweet scent that has seriously stood the test of time. Lynx are renowned for discontinuing their scents if they feel they have run their course, and the fact Africa (Kilo in the USA) is still going strong (since 1995) suggests it's popularity is still as high today as it was in the 90s.

This scent should serve as an example to the company that the demand for the older scents are currently very high, with the fact that Africa is STILL the biggest selling Lynx variant in the UK despite the numerous newer scents released. Newer scents have come and gone and Africa still defies the odds and remains!

Personally, I think some opinions of fragrances are guided by brand names and being "traditional", especially by our friends in the good ol' USA. Our American cousins seem to go with the "if it's old, it's good" premise, which, in my opinion, is often simply not true. Just because it says "Beckham" on it they snort, when they actually should sniff.

Ian

Smell The Glove said:
Back in the day it was Lynx 'Oriental' for me.

If it was still available I would be using it.

Stevie,

Try Pecksniff's Oriental from TK Maxx if you see it. It's a nicer version of what I assume is a classic Oriental scent - if such a thing exists. If you really want to push the boat out go for Penhaligon's Endymion. The same Oriental scent only more refined again.

Rik.

[quote="Magicpixie"

Try Pecksniff's Oriental from TK Maxx if you see it. It's a nicer version of what I assume is a classic Oriental scent - if such a thing exists. If you really want to push the boat out go for Penhaligon's Endymion. The same Oriental scent only more refined again.

Rik.[/quote]

Thanks. TK Maxx is a good place to mooch around for products. Will check it out next time.

Back
Top Bottom