Looking for something new

Ok folks, been shaving with my Merkur 34c for a while now. looking for something else exciting. What are some of your most enjoyed razors?

I spent a lot of time with British 1950s TTO Gillettes before dipping back earlier to the 30s & 20s... my current nirvana piece is a 1921 New Standard silver plated monster... like this

I'd say either buy some to try - or try and borrow some. For trial purposes it doesn't have to be a 'looker'... and there's always someone new you can sell it on to or PIF it to as a trial piece.

hunnymonster said:
I spent a lot of time with British 1950s TTO Gillettes before dipping back earlier to the 30s & 20s... my current nirvana piece is a 1921 New Standard silver plated monster... like this
+1
As long as your technique is good enough and you know your face well so that you do not depend on the razor to get a good shave, once you use such razors (from '20s and '30s) you'll realize instantly how well they shave.

Of course you don't have to rush to get there, all you have to is keep in mind that there are some 'old' razors out there which reportedly shave exceptionally (provided you know how to utilize them correctly).

Turk said:
Ok folks, been shaving with my Merkur 34c for a while now. looking for something else exciting. What are some of your most enjoyed razors?

If you want to stick with modern-day razors then how about the Futur? It is quite a different shave to most and it has many loyal fans.

Try a TTO Gillette or if you are feeling brave a Slant 37v..though I should advice..course beard need only use this one..otherwise try a Gillette TTO

B

Or just go cheap and start on the vintage route with a Gillette Tech.

If you play the waiting game you should easily find one in a tatty but original box for markedly less than 20 quid.

If you travel a bit you might investigate the wonderful world of vintage travel kits, Many of them will include an aluminium ball end tech. You should be able to find one with travel tubes for storing a stick of palmolive / arko etc. If you really luck out you might also score the original travel brush, ( though these tend to be missing or shedding bristle faster than larry).

There is something quite mind blowing in that first really good shave from a razor that is 50 or more years old.

mstrunck said:
Or try an SE, they are relatively cheap, and provide a very different shaving experience. And thet are exciting.

/Max

+1 on a Single edge. I used one for the first time about 10 months ago after some 50 yrs shaving with DE & straights. It's now my prefered razor for daily use, although I still enjoy my Slim DE. They can often be come by on BST section for low prices & you may just find that they spoil you for many more modern designs. In fact, older razors of any design often seem to me to be typical of a bygone age when engineering was carefully applied to even the most mundane of household goods.

JohnnyO. \ :shave

Don't be a jessie, slant it up. ;)
I half joke, but it's the one that I still want to try.

The Gillette Tech is a study in design simplicity and classic lines, there wasn't much they could have got wrong. Cheap as chips too, speak to Mister Frenchblade.

So many to try. Let me try to narrow it down. I get a kick out of very very old things. I collect ancient coins over past 4-5 years and none of them are any newer than 300 BC. Now I know that I can't find a razor that old and if I could, I most assuredly wouldn't want to shave with it! I looked at the 1912 Ever Ready on line and it is interesting. For those of you who are history buffs, what "very old" razor is recommended? I don't want to venture down the straight razor path at this time.
Thanks,

Half the fun here is trying new things. It took me up to nearly 20 before I finally settled on my Jagger Chatsworth as my regular, with an occasional run out for a Merkur 38C. A few others stay unused mostly, tried again occasionally, then it's quickly back to the Chatsworth. I guess I just like heavy razors with long handles.

I've tried several "very old" including a 1918 Single Ring Open comb Gillette. The Gillette Superspeeds are perhaps my favourite oldie but even they are too mild for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom