London trip -shop recommendations

TOBS on Jermyn Street, Harris on Piccadilly, and Trumper on Curzon Street are my must visit haunts when in London. When at TOBS I like to pop into Bates The Hatter next door. Also, a stroll in the Burlington Arcade, across the way from TOBS, is enjoyable: Church’s, Crocket & Jones and House of Cashmere are among my favourite shops. There are many, many other shops in London to enjoy. As Samuel Johnson so eloquently put it, “Sir, when a man grows tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.”
I should add that the best shop to linger in is TOBS: all their goods are out on display to be handled and enjoyed by the customer at will. On the other hand, all the goods at Trumper on Curzon and Harris are behind glass requiring a shop assistant to bring them forth.

Hi guys, I’m off to London to take the kids as a birthday treat for them, but the wife has booked this on Father’s Day weekend! Now this is a perfect opportunity to go to a actual bricks and mortar shop to grab some shaving gear and grab some gifts for myself without complaint as the wife booked it without realising it was Father’s Day! I’m only likely to be able to squeeze one or two in without too many complaints so I’m looking for recommendations!
I'm off sometime soon so will be on the lookout too. Never been to London sight seeing

Great video Kevy. I was going to say it has saved me a trip; in hindsight I suspect it's inspired me to go and see for myself. Now I know where they are, next time I'm up there it may have to be done. I also need to find out whether the shoe shop that sells Loake's on Strutton Ground has survived the Corona. I'd better leave me wallet at home that day...

An idea for a treat for the kids--depending on how old they are--is the Parlour at F&M's (you might need to make a reservation). Good icecream (the Knickerbocker Glories are great; I go there myself and I don't have kids to treat). And F&M's backs onto to Jermyn Street.

5+ years ago I worked quite near to there but never really had the interest to go in. Now I work locally I have not been to central London for some time.
I think I will have to have a visit soon.

TOBS, Trumpers and DR Harris all nice and close together around Jermyn Street.
With Truefitt just about 200 yards away from DR Harris. Also in the Burlington arcade you have a small little shop on the left hand side (if you enter from Jermyn Street end) St James Emporium I think it’s called. And at the end of the arcade on the right hand side you have the more expensive Santa Maria Nouvella shop. Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advices guys. Foolishly I didn’t check weekend opening hours so ended up with about an hour to race round as most are closed on a Sunday. I walked by DR Harris but it was closed, but the shop window looked fabulous and I’d have gone nuts trying to avoid/not avoid buying a brush! My wife and kids quickly had to divert to the hotel as they had got me a £50 voucher for Taylor’s of old Bond Street! We got there and I spent a good 30mins to 45 looking around, playing with the toys and testing the testers! I ended up with a tub of lime zest and almond cream, both stronger than anything I’ve tried before and a bottle of No. 74 Victorian Lime fragrance. It was a great quick tour and next time I come I’ll try and be a little more organised and get to the other places but I’m more than happy with my little bit of the weekend and purchases! I shaved with the Lime this morning and it’s was the best cream I’ve used so thick and glossy, plus the scent filled the room all morning so far! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom