London 2012

I am concerned about the 'Ban the athlete' hoo-haa. While I agree to a large extent, to all intents and purposes they are almost all "employees", part of an industry. Many times you hear that sport "is a way out and up" for the less fortunate - though not in this country in Olympic sports generally.
What is the difference with Bankers taking the rewards for cheating? Or should we ban anyone from shaving for not paying the tax due on imports?
There would appear to be a bigger industry in anti-doping at the moment, and results show this and like every other business it's cyclical. Runners used to carry weights to fix results when betting was more prevalent in that sport.
We seem to be living in extremely weird times, when only the most powerless are held responsible. Laws were never meant to make things "fair", in life or sport. Only now, the cost of a new law is so high only a few have access! Baseball, one of the richest sports did allow some enhancing drugs, caring not at all about the health of its players!
I like Tyson Gay, so it was disappointing he didn't dip when he should ie his performance was far from optimum. How do we stand on Pistorius? Isn't running an examination of lower limbs, like chess examines brain function! Could an imbecile use a computer at a chess tournament?
Or would that be cheating?
The Chinese/East Germans et al were doped by their government system. Now we have privatised sport and government, so why blame any athlete? Could you resist?
love'n'joy
Lloyd

For the chance of an Olympic gold medal, a world record and £millions in sponsorship I'd snort the ashes of my dead Grandmother off the 'Trainspotting' toilet seat if there was a chance I'd get away with it.

lloydedwards said:
I like Tyson Gay, so it was disappointing he didn't dip when he should ie his performance was far from optimum. How do we stand on Pistorius? Isn't running an examination of lower limbs, like chess examines brain function! Could an imbecile use a computer at a chess tournament?
Or would that be cheating?

Hmm, sounds as though you're veering close to the "disabled people shouldn't be sportspeople" line there, Lloyd. Are you saying he shouldn't compete in the conventional Olympics (which I tend to agree with), or are you saying he shouldn't be in any sort of competition (which I completely disagree)?

Re: RE: London 2012

Tall_Paul said:
I 100% agree. Drugs cheats should be banned for life. It's ridiculous they manage to get their bans overturned

What about Christine Ohoruogu's magnificent silver medal in the 400?

Given that Ohoruogu had a year's ban for repeated anti-doping violations and then took the BOA to court - and threatened to compete for other countries - in order to get her Olympic ban lifted, I can only assume this was an exercise in irony... :).

NotTheStig said:
Just have a separate Olympics for the drug takers.

We tried the equivalent in powerlifting. Didn't work, people still cheated in the "clean" federation.

I think one day we'll look at the moral panic over doping in the same way as we now look at the hysteria over amateurism.

Dr Rick said:
Tall_Paul said:
I 100% agree. Drugs cheats should be banned for life. It's ridiculous they manage to get their bans overturned

Given that Ohoruogu had a year's ban for repeated anti-doping violations and then took the BOA to court - and threatened to compete for other countries - in order to get her Olympic ban lifted, I can only assume this was an exercise in irony... :).

She missed three tests, once because she had to drive from her normal training base to Crystal Palace because of a school sports day, but was tested on multiple occasions during that period, and has never tested positive. As far as I understand it, Gatlin tested positive twice, the second time after he'd come back from his ban for the first offence. Slightly different, I'd have thought.

Dr Rick said:
Tall_Paul said:

Why yes, of course! :blush:

I have to confess I wasn't aware of Christine's drug misdemeanours and that definitely taints her achievement.

As a physio, and with (I hope) a decent knowledge of human anatomy and movement, I feel I have to wade in on the "bladerunner" debate.

The argument that his blades have spring in them and he has an unfair advantage is tosh. A fully functional limb has a hugely powerful muscle driving the ankle down and forcing the athlete forwards.
Running prostheses can only spring back and give back a proportion of body weight. It can't add power like an ankle can.
It's like someone with a gun complaining about someone with a catapult.

He is running with Muscle groups (gluts and quads) against people with 3 (gluts, quads, calves).
I really wish we would stop questioning his relevance and start embracing how utterly inspiring and fantastic this guy is.

Chrisbell, Crusiate, I only used Pistorius as an example. Maybe not very well, but I was try to point out the absolutist nature of some posters points. That is - where do you draw the line?
Nick Skelton won a wonderful gold with a replacement hip - shouldn't he be in the paralympics? If most of the sports rely on a genetic advantage to win, .....
I can't imagine anyone denying how inspiring/fantastic the competitors are, but why could Skelton take drugs to enable him to compete?
OK I know it was remedial/medical.
I'm being Devils advocate - Liposuction to make a weight? Pistorius' legs were amputated, could I remove one of my left feet to play football?(forget that - it's no bar :)).

I find many people polarise things and people, where as in fact almost all is part of a scale. It is the nature of politicians and the media to first simplify, then exaggerate. "Drugs" are the same. I think we should ban non indigenous sports. Teaching a non native skill is surely an "enhancement" of the most basic type, only to "grow the market".
Kiss chase anyone?

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Holly Bleasdale: I don't think that I've very seen such a nervous athelete at the Olympics, poor girl. I think she's one for the future, though.

Ian

IanM said:
Holly Bleasdale: I don't think that I've very seen such a nervous athelete at the Olympics, poor girl. I think she's one for the future, though.

Ian

Definitely. She must be devastated, but she's only young so hopefully this will spur her on and she can learn from it for next time.

She still did damn well to make the final though.

Holly Bleasdale did really well in retrospect. She was the star of a Pole Vault competition they had outside our Town Hall. Turns out she gets some sponsorship from the grandson of a previous champion - when the winning jump was 10 ft. The reports are that the conditions were really bad, and the winning jump was nothing special. She did get a proposal from her boyfriend though - jokes about having a good jump on a postcard please.
Jason Kenny was brilliant - especially on FRENCH wheels, after they complained about our equipment. Laura was her usual brilliant self, needs a good day today.
Come on Sir Chris and Queen Victoria.
Velodrome this afternoon will hopefully be 3 more! I love watching cycling, can you OD?

love'n'joy
Lloyd

A bit of a test, using my fav pic so far. Jess Ennis with Luke & Carl, our discus throwers, before the opening ceremony.
Azm3_V9CAAEuepT.jpg

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom