L'Occitane Cade Aftershave Balm

Picked up a tube of this and a cake of the shaving soap (review in the Soap Reviews section) last weekend from a recently opened L'Occitane shop, and used both all last week. I've enjoyed the Cade a/s splash for a while, but with winter setting in, my face will need some extra protection, so decided to get some of the a/s/b.

Packaging
It comes in a metal (aluminuim?) tube, that is completely blank apart from the label, and this matches up nicely with the other Cade products.

Scent
Again, this matches the soap and the splash, but is closer to the soap, and is a little more 'woody' than the splash. It's not strong at all. It fades with time, but never completely disappers, and you get a very subtle wiff of it as the day goes on. It's not strong enough to clash with any cologne or edt.

Performance
When I opened the tube and squeezed some out onto the palm of my hand, I found it to be quite thick, more like a moisurising cream than an as balm or milk. It goes on like a cream, and does feel a little heavy, but it soon sinks in too leave your face moisturised, but not tacky, and you only need a small amount. I have combination skin, where parts of my face are oily, and some parts can be fairly dry, and this can be an issue with some balms as my oily bits get too greasy. The Cade a/s/b, seems to even this out. I don't know how, but all of my face feels the same, even at the end of the day.

Conclusion
It's expensive. The tube I bought was £18.00, BUT it is the best balm that I have ever used.

Ian

Good review, this balm is in my top two along with Liz Earle.Both are expensive but a little goes a long way and the ingredients are nice to my overly sensitive fizzer.I also love the L'Occitane packaging.The metal tube and hexagon cap makes it feel very luxurious.

I like the hexagonal cap as it means that I can always use a spanner to uscrew it if I ever over-tighten it :lol:

Naked Ape: The a/s splash is very similar to the soap, but initially stronger, and with the obvious hint of alchohol. Once it's dried on the skin, it becomes more mellow. I can't imagine that anyone who likes the soap will dislike the a/s splash.

Ian

Cheers, Ian.

I tried the Cade balm in a shop not so long ago. The cap was too small and fiddly for my sausage fingers; I dropped the damned thing and it took me ages to find it agin. To be quite honest, I could see the cap - hexagonal, octagonal or otherwise - becoming a bit of a pain in the erse. Especially with greasy fingers.

Naked Ape said:
To be quite honest, I could see the cap - hexagonal, octagonal or otherwise - becoming a bit of a pain in the erse. Especially with greasy fingers.

It can be. So I unscrew the cap, apply the balm, wash/dry my hands an THEN put the cap back on.

Ian

Rev-O said:
Naked Ape said:
To be quite honest, I could see the cap - hexagonal, octagonal or otherwise - becoming a bit of a pain in the erse. Especially with greasy fingers.

What goes on in your bathroom?

:lol: I'll spare you the grisly, Rev. Let's just say I'm still at the experimentation stage with all this lark. (This 'shave' oil is so much fun!)

lol. Ian, I sometimes get combination skin. I will *try* sending you some shave stuff to see how you get on with it f you can send a tiny tiny tub of the occitane asb. the shave stuff is seriously v. good.

Well this is great news!

You know why? Because for the first time I actually can get this at a local shop without too much hassle! :D

It's on my shopping list next time I go into town!

* insert image of FB doing a "happy dance" *

FB.

Probably my favourite balm.
Expensive (as already mentioned)
Lovely smell (SWMBO is in full agreement which is always a good start)
Soothing. Moisturising.
My ideal "cold weather" balm (when my skin tends to dry out).

I have to say I tend to reserve it for the winter months but it makes me look forward to the winter.....

Whilst the Cade soap is a distant memory this Cade ASB has a constant place in my haul.

Whilst I’ve stopped using balms during the warmer months if favour of splashes, this balm is still used on occasions my face is a little dry as this is not only an outstanding ASB but is just as effective as a facial moisturiser.

Back
Top Bottom