Lighting/Lamps?

I'm no photographer. However I have a cheap point and click camera and a £1 tripod and together they turn out a fairly decent picture of things at home. However I find I don't have enough light when I'm taking a picture.

I'm not into photography or such, but I do like to take a nice picture of stuff I own, also when I'm selling it on forums or ebay it's handy to be able to have a very good picture of the item.

So I think I need some kind of bright light to use for it, better than the little flash on the camera (it seems to make things go funny).

What kind of light could I be getting for it? Budget is next to nothing. Ideally I want to spend less than a tenner and have something from amazon or ebay.

I'm really, really unsure on what I'm talking about! :)

Edit : I am going to buy a softbox - or at least I believe I should be buying a softbox. I'm thinking cheap as I can get and it'll do for what I want...

I guess I'm now wondering what kind of light I should get for it to work with...

I think the desk lamp idea is pretty good. Another thing to try would be setting things up by a window with someyhing like grease proof paper taped to the glass and some kitchen foil on the opposite side of your subject to bounce light back into the shadows.

I ended up buying a lightbox set on ebay - £30 for a couple of 50W GU10 bulbs and a fabric box 40cm square. Once I saw it on ebay and started googling everything came together. It'll no doubt be low quality, however I think it'll do for what I need.

Well i cobbled one together last year and have just added new lights and a reflective back.......yeah it looks crap but it gives enough light for me to take close up pics of razors / Pens etc:

100_0683.jpg

And here are a few quick snaps:

100_0679.jpg

100_0681.jpg

100_0682.jpg

I did this:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

I use the sun, but when it is too dark, I suppose I'll spring for some desk top lamps for both sides.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/240299-ebuyer-photo-studio-kit-photostud

And I must say that I'm more impressed than I was expecting to be. The camera stand is, of course, rubbish, but I use either a Velbon tripod or a Gorillapod, and once you get used to positioning the lights and play around with your camera's white balance a bit (and then do a spot of editing in iPhoto) you can achieve some decent results:

P1010123.jpg

For the money, it would be rude not to, really.

Regards

Ian

jaycey said:
I love the Navitimer...let me know when your fed up with it:)

Thanks, but don't hold your breath - I only bought it a couple of weeks ago! It's something that I've had on my radar for quite a while, and that particular version, in my opinion, is the nicest. The white-dialled versions aren't as legible, as they're very complicated dials with an awful lot going on, and the hands don't stand out sufficiently to be able to read the time at a glance.

With the black dial there's no less happening, but the hands show up much better.

Regards

Ian

Jobbiecraft appealed to my infantile sense of humour.

I have one of those light box kits, the lights are a little weak and the stand is not great but none the less it is a good kit for the money.

Back
Top Bottom