Let's make a razor!

Second time's a charm :)

I decided to concentrate on getting the grind right and not waste time sanding off the heat treat scale. I actually quite like the rustic look.

It's honed up to 12k, stopped on chromium oxide and finished on plain leather.

I'm off for a Shave!!

It's steak for tea tonight boys! One of the best shaves I've ever had....

Pros: It took a fantastic edge and just stroked off the stubble.... Quite surprisingly well.
The shorter blade length was a revelation. So much control.
The balance is just right and the thumb notch feels good.

Cons: The heel and toe are lethal! I need to find a pleasing way to take the corners off a bit
Not having scales to hold on to can feel a little precarious. Jimping will help.
The grind isn't perfect so it needed careful honing to get a nice even bevel. Number three will be better :)

Also, the heel is to close to the shoulder making stropping a little more tricky.

Thanks mate. That's it for this one but I'm planning on making three more to roughly the same design. I need to sort out a new stencil for my makers mark as the one I use for knives is too big for razors. I also want to add some jimping on to the next ones but my checkering file is still on order.

It's still all about the grind though. I need to do a few to really get my eye in.

I wonder what difference it'll make, but there's no rush.
glad you had more success than I've had so far with the 3 piece d/e I made (apart from the handle) it made my face feel like I'd been run over by a floor sander...little too much linear blade exposure I think, since then I've been too busy with paying work to re-visit it

Back
Top Bottom