Leatherman

Father Ted said:
So I thought, why not have a look at getting myself a proper one.

Only Im quite bewildered at the choice.

Im thinking a "Wave" with a selection of screwdriver bits and some sort of carry case but wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

Yours.

Confuddled of Lancashire.

What's the scoop Marty,

About six months ago I did a little research on those kinda multi-tool things and i know some brands are better than others. Heh, sadly I forgot any info I picked up, having no need for it anymore. Spend an hour reading up on how some are different than others as far as design and quality and such,

Here's a pic of the one I sold on ebay a while back.....NOS Harley version with screwdrivers bits and everything. Ended up selling for $85, which I was happy to get.

Martin

Attachments

• hd 002 (Small).jpg
    hd 002 (Small).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
This discussion has been very interesting and enlightening. Not being flip, but it is concerning to hear the restrictions that have been imposed on you. While I infrequently carry a knife, it's troubling to hear what could happen to ones ability to do so. May just donate the next time the NRA calls.

Yes, somewhat mixed reactions to not being able to "Arm Bears" or whatever it is you can do in the Colonies.

Though I have mixed attitudes having and still working in an acute setting where blade related injuries inflicted on others are commonplace I do think that going out with a knife in your pocket is usually only with one intention - to hurt someone else. That said usually the blade related injuries are caused by blades bigger than what you find in your average pocket knife.
When I carry mine usually its in my rucksack or in my first aid kit, rarely in my pocket unless its being used on a job.

Do I have an answer? Would I like to see us able to wander round willy nilly with knives or guns? No, to both.

I carry a knife in my pocket everyday every where and any where, Shopping at Tesco Post Office out for a meal, dont see the problem, it as a blade under three inches, the blade doesn't lock, totally UK legal, and ask why i'm carrying it I would say essential part of my tool kit, here's one of my EDC knives. a Spyderco Urban UK legal carry.

Jamie.

005-2.jpg

006.jpg

Well, rather than the £Â£ Leatherman I plumped for the not quite so £ Gerber Suspension
41hFyWUZEUL.jpg

£22 of your English Pounds delivered with the ability to take add on screwdriver bits (though I'll be honest I havent quite worked out where yet, but Gerbers website assure me it does).
Having said that if Cotswold had had any Leatherman tools in stock when I walked into town then things might have been different. But they didnt, they didnt even have any 9-12 size thick woollen walking socks. I had to luz out £16 in Rohan for some. Still they are very nice despite the price.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I carry a knife in my pocket everyday every where and any where, Shopping at Tesco Post Office out for a meal, dont see the problem, it as a blade under three inches, the blade doesn't lock, totally UK legal, and ask why i'm carrying it I would say essential part of my tool kit, here's one of my EDC knives. a Spyderco Urban UK legal carry.

Jamie.

005-2.jpg

006.jpg

I'm afraid you are somewhat confused. Because a pocketknife has a blade that does not exceed 3 inches does not mean the article is 'legal'. If you carry an article in public that can be construed as a weapon, which your knife may very well be, and you cannot give a reasonable explanation, religious, work related etc, you may be prosecuted.
If, say a carpet fitter is stopped on a Friday evening in the supermarket and has a bladed item on his person, he will be asked why he was carrying it in those circumstances. Has he been home? Could it have been left in the car?
Saying it's an 'essential part of your toolkit' may not cut it to be honest. Why take a knife into the supermarket or the Post office?. How could it be used by you in those circumstances and can you give a reasonable explanation?

Read this. I would hate basically law abiding chaps to be charged for a serious offence. The THIS list explains it all really;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#United_Kingdom

I like the look of that one, probably overkill for what I would use though. I'll see how I get on with the £22 one I have just bought. I might have to look for another belt case, I dont like the look of the nylon one, much prefer leather.

Ranger62 - I disagree. There is a special exception which exists in the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Sec. 139) for folding knives (pocket knives) It's in the entry you linked to. The knife Jamie uses fits this, it possibly doesn't look it, but it's a legal "penknife or pocket knife".

How odd.
Im sure I replied to this at 3am. But no sign of my reply.
Anyway - the Gerber Suspension is very nice and at £22 good VFM.
The tool kit however at £12 is quite expensive for something that is basically a set of screwdriver bits and an adaptor.
The adaptor seems like an after thought when it comes to design - a bit that fits over the philips head and allows the screwdriver bits to then be fitted. Not quite as good a design as the Leatherman in that respect.
The pouch that comes with the Suspension has no room for the tool kit, likewise the one that comes with the tool kit wont fit the suspension and the tools. Bit of bad planning / thought there. So Im now bidding on a tool pouch by Berghaus on eBay to carry both bits in.

Duffer said:
Ranger62 - I disagree. There is a special exception which exists in the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Sec. 139) for folding knives (pocket knives) It's in the entry you linked to. The knife Jamie uses fits this, it possibly doesn't look it, but it's a legal "penknife or pocket knife".

I apologise. I'm afraid I was thinking of Scottish legislation. Up here the legislation is somewhat more 'robust'.

To be honest I cannot for the life of me think why a knife like the one displayed would need to be carried in an urban environment, Shop, restaurant, etc,

I must admit I do have a bit of a problem with knives and guns and why people feel they need to own / carry them.

Back
Top Bottom