Leatherman

As a former boy scout and later VSU leader the humble Swiss Army knife has always been part of my kit. Recently someone gave me a gift set of a small naff LED torch and a smallish Chinese Leatherman copy. Now the latter I have been using rather regulaly despite its poor construction and blade that lost its edge after a few uses. So I thought, why not have a look at getting myself a proper one.

Only Im quite bewildered at the choice.

Im thinking a "Wave" with a selection of screwdriver bits and some sort of carry case but wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

Yours.

Confuddled of Lancashire.

I have a Leatherman Wave, I bought it 13 years ago in Canada. They're strong money over here I expect (£90 ish?) but in my opinion very useful. Mine generally stays at home in this day and age but gets used for a wide variety of tasks.

That said, I also have a Gerber Suspension, (£25 ish) which I use for work which is also more than acceptable for the price.

I have a Leatherman Blast. I have destroyed several cheap multitools but this one is still going strong after about 6 years very little wear and tear showing.

Well worth the investment IMO.

Can't remember quite which one I got but it was over 15 yrs ago and still going strong. Mine came with an adapter which allows me to use hex bits and sockets and I've customised the kit for tripod fixing and numerous other "fixes" over the years. The blade has always stayed sharp well and takes a great edge with minimal sharpening. The pliers are very nice and precise.
I think the trick is not to get carried away, just decide what you really want it for, then expect it to last for ages.

Well, my knife of choice with the Swiss Army is the Victorinox Huntsman. Which mine (being older) contains:-
Small blade
Large Blunt Blade with chunk out of the end
Can opener & small screwdriver
Bottle opener with large screwdriver and wire stripper
Reamer, punch & sewing eye
Tweezers
Toothpick
Scissors
Hook (I have NEVER had the opportunity to use this to get Cub Scouts out of horses hooves - ever)
Woodsaw (crap if im honest, but has been used on occasion)
Corkscrew
Phillips screwdriver
Mini screwdriver
Pin

In all honesty screwdrivers, pliers, scissors and knife blades are more important than pins, toothpicks and woodsaws.

I have a Leatherman Wave, and every time I go on a trip, I seriously consider if I will use it at all, the reason being the weight. It weighs like a tank.

If you are going for a Leatherman, I would consider the use you have of the pliers, and if this is not getting heavy use, I would opt for a smaller version of a Leatherman. Alternatively the Titanium version, which in turn costs an arm and a leg.

I believe Gerber multitools are rather good, and a bit lighter than Leatherman. Also since you have a good relationship with Victorinox, they do a multitool, which is very sturdy, but even heavier than the Leatherman Wave. And it's very expensive.

/Max

i bought a wave off a knife forum and knew the joints were a bit worn....i contacted Whitby Knives and they sent me a brand spanking new one of the newer variety

very very happy with the service i got..took around 10 days for me to send mine and for tehm to replace foc

my advice would always be leatherman teh wave in particular...nice size in the hands

I have had a Victorinox Swiss Tool for years now. Excellent tool, still as good as new. They are indeed on the heavy side, but this is why they are so strong. I also have a Gerber, nice but no where near as good as the Victorinox. I managed to get mine for a bargain £25 band new. The place my brother was working were stopping selling them and sold them off to staff.

I've owned and lost several, both Leatherman and Gerber. I have a theory which I call "the 3 stages of Canuck Leatherman ownership". It goes:

1: Initial excitement where I constantly look for an excuse to use the thing. Your tent is damaged? I have a leatherman! The fire is going out? Let's try this attachment! Your mobile phone has no signal? Let me see if I have a tool for that!

2: The middle period where it seems it was not quite as useful as I thought it might be. After a while, I'll forget it's there, and it will sit in its pouch as an impressive but expensive belt accessory.

3: Some months later. Where did I put that leatherman? I must replace the shineyness. Go to Cotswold, blow £80, return to stage 1.

I know that's no use to you FT, just my light hearted look at Leatherman use, just for a giggle. I think of them as a very expensive belt trinket that's not very good at not very much. You wouldn't catch Mears carrying one. ;-)

ebilpirate said:
Just a thought;

I seem to remember that many of the leatherman tools have locking blades. Which makes them dubious for carrying in the eyes of the law.

I believe you can carry it but you have to have a justifiable reason, such as fishing. You can't carry it around because they are locking knives, say on you belt just in case you need it. When I've need knives for Cub events I always carry knives in the boot of the car, until I get to the event.

I think the fact it says tool makes it quite safe under british law to carry if you were camping using it for it's given purpose, no police officer would doubt your story, I have a leatherman crunch, with an adjustable mole grips, very useful tool, all the leatherman range is very well made. only downside the are very heavy, and if you mostly use it for just cutting, get yourself a decent knife instead.

Jamie.

I saw on one of the TV police programs a tree surgeon had a knife taken away as it was being carried in the door well of his work van. Other knives/sharp edge tools were OK as they were in the rear of the vehicle but the copper's attitude was that it was an inappropriate place to store the knife, the tree surgeon was required to "voluntarily" surrender the knife to avoid facing charges.

The fact the blade is locking means that you have to have a justifiable reason and it has to be carried in an appropriate way. Mine is kept in a tool box in the boot most of the time. Then again I also have a 7lb lump hammer, claw hammer and wrecking bar so I might get charged with going equipped one day!

Back
Top Bottom