Le Grelot Straight in Rosewood

Here is the first of a couple of restores and new scales I've been working on this week - not that either blade needed a great deal of work apart from polishing.

This is a 5/8" Le Grelot that needed new scales so I've gone all traditional as regards shape. This Rosewood is not easy to work with being so hard - although that's good from a longevity point of view. Even though the scales are quite thin the wood is not very flexible so I neede to add a third pin in order to get the right shape - I didn't want to use too much of a wedge so it's more of a spacer in brass, as is the third pin.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Very nice Rob, lovely grain on the Rosewood, I know what you mean, when you can't get that flex because the wood so hard it does make sense to open up and slightly splay the scales.

Jamie.

It's even more beautiful in its physical incarnation. I shall save it for the first shave in my new bathroom when I move in next week!

Thanks, Rob - it's fascinating watching your work evolve, and I treasure each of your restores I've obtained.

Back
Top Bottom