Lathering

Might sound like a daft question, but if a soap or cream needs a certain amount of water to make a good lather, does it matter if you put all the water in at the start and keep whipping it up until the consistency is right? Or should you always add it in bit by bit?

I've always found that adding water drop by drop gives the thickest lather.

If too much water is added it is difficult, if not impossible, to bring the lather back to a decent consistency.

Water needs to be added a little at a time as it takes time for the lather to build (the process whereby the soap takes on air and water).

Adding water too quickly will saturate the soap to the extent that it prevents sufficient air getting into the lather.

Captain Bb said:
Water needs to be added a little at a time as it takes time for the lather to build (the process whereby the soap takes on air and water).

Adding water too quickly will saturate the soap to the extent that it prevents sufficient air getting into the lather.

Agreed - I reckon you can sometimes get away with it if you push your brush by aggressively working the lather to force some air into it, but I wouldn't advise it.

Does the bowl size make a difference in whipping up a nice lather. I have a rather small bown and use a large brush , was wondering if I used a bigger bowl I could get more air into the lather?

A bigger bowl should help your brush work more effectively as it'll allow the bristles to move more freely and agitate the foam.

rolatruck said:
Might sound like a daft question, but if a soap or cream needs a certain amount of water to make a good lather, does it matter if you put all the water in at the start and keep whipping it up until the consistency is right? Or should you always add it in bit by bit?

Ideally you should add the water drop by drop to build up the lather. This will give you more control and will produce you a better consistency. Your brush will play a part in the consistency of your lather also.

Best advice take a few minutes on a Sunday morning and play with with your lather :)

Back
Top Bottom