Lansky for sharpening?

I use a Lansky kit for sharpening all of my knives, from the ones in the kitchen to my skinning knives for when I'm out shooting.

I don't see why it wouldn't be suitable for a straight when I finally purchase one and I have a fair bit of experience with getting a good edge on a blade. Been known to shave (a little) with my skinning knives as a bit of a party trick, so I know they are razor sharp. ;)

Has anyone else had any experience with these kits on straights?

There's a difference between sharp and smooth. I don't know what grit rating your stones are but it's generally acknowledged that you need a minimum 8k synthetic or equivalent in a natural stone to achieve a comfortable shave edge. Of course you can get something sharp enough to shave off, say, a 1k hone, but you would not want to shave off it every day.

I have used a Lansky sharpener for years, believe me you don't want to be using or thinking about using one or even taking your razor anywhere near one, there's far more technical detail and technique in getting your razor honed than using a basic Lansky sharpener, the basic razor honing set up will look something like this, at least 3 Whetstones from around 5K, 8K, and 12K, plus a good quality linen and leather strop, and I did say a basic set up if you already have a shave ready razor and you want to maintain it yourself then that's pretty much what you would need, if your razor needs the bevel reset then add a 1K stone as well, you should not try to confuse yourself by thinking having a knife that will shave hair off your arm will be the same as having a shave ready razor, they are totally different, every kitchen knife and pocket knife I own will shave hair off your arm, but I certainly wouldn't want to shave with them.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I have used a Lansky sharpener for years, believe me you don't want to be using or thinking about using one or even taking your razor anywhere near one, there's far more technical detail and technique in getting your razor honed than using a basic Lansky sharpener, the basic razor honing set up will look something like this, at least 3 Whetstones from around 5K, 8K, and 12K, plus a good quality linen and leather strop, and I did say a basic set up if you already have a shave ready razor and you want to maintain it yourself then that's pretty much what you would need, if your razor needs the bevel reset then add a 1K stone as well, you should not try to confuse yourself by thinking having a knife that will shave hair off your arm will be the same as having a shave ready razor, they are totally different, every kitchen knife and pocket knife I own will shave hair off your arm, but I certainly wouldn't want to shave with them.

Excellent information, thank you.
I do have a pretty good Lansky pro kit but the highest grade hone in the box is only a 1k super fine so I'll ditch that idea and get myself a nice set of stones when the time comes.

You are correct in the assumption that I wouldn't want to shave my face with even the sharpest of my knives, not a wise idea as I quite like my face the way it currently is.
Although, i have seen it done (probably not to a very high standard, or smooth by any means) with a newly sharpened machete, that was interesting/ terrifying! Lol.

I have been a chef for many years, and prided myself on having the sharpest knives of anyone I have worked alongside.
I thought I knew what a shave ready edge was when I started shaving with a straight razor but how wrong I was!!
I sent my first straight razor to "Pugh" for honing, when it came back I was bowled over at how smooth the shave and edge were.
I have tried to hone my own razors ever since, and can definitely attest that Waterstones are the way to go .
I have a 1k naniwa, a Norton 4000/8000 combination waterstone, and a naniwa 12k, which I use to hone my razors, and love the smooth edges I get!!!

Back
Top Bottom