Knot size

I have never given much thought to brushes, and am puzzled by the meaning of ' knot size ' 21m m24m m etc. I am looking for a synthetic, thick head, short length bristles, easy for face lathering.
The knot size is measured at the base of the knot, so 24mm is how wide it is and the loft size is the hight of the bristles / hairs / fibres from the bottom of the knot , so for example a 24mm knot with 50mm loft. :) P.
Edit: 24mm is a good size, much bigger and you will be digging lather out of your ears! :) YMMV!

Last edited:
In a badger brush any knot diameter larger than 24 mm (at the exit of the knot hole in the handle) I find overwhelming. I have 2 brushes with knot diameters of 26 mm, but because they are bulb-shaped they are manageable; if they were fan-shaped or flat top-shaped they'd smother me. My ideal knot size for a bulb-shape is 24 mm, for a fan-shape it's 22 mm and for a flat top it's 19 mm. I only lather on my face and find these knot sizes give optimum control. Another factor to consider is the loft height: I believe in the rule of thumb that loft should be twice the knot diameter at a minimum. I tend to go a bit longer since I don't like too much backbone in my knots. I'd rather have a knot that's at the floppy end of the spectrum than one that is at the stiff, unyielding end.

Looking at the Masetos, I'm torn between the 24mm and 30mm. I like a big brush, my fave brush is my Omega 49 with 26mm knot, which is boar so might not be directly comparable. Anyone know if the Maseto 24mm knots are sufficiently big for decent face lathering?

Looking at the Masetos, I'm torn between the 24mm and 30mm. I like a big brush, my fave brush is my Omega 49 with 26mm knot, which is boar so might not be directly comparable. Anyone know if the Maseto 24mm knots are sufficiently big for decent face lathering?
I have two Maseto brushes, a 24mm 2 band finest and a 30mm 2 band finest fan shape. Both are fantastic brushes, I got the 24mm first and loved it, but the 30mm is superb. Some say a 30mm is too much but I really like the luxury feel of the 30mm, it really is a wall of badger but it works well. The 30mm does eat soap, I can highly recommend both and if you get on with with Omega 49 in my opinion you will get on with the 30mm at least the fan shape finest.

The splay of these two brushes is the same, I will post a picture. But the 30mm just feels right.

I have not tried a Slivertip Maseto, yet. But it is on my wish list.

Back
Top Bottom