Kit of the Year 2023

Ha ha ha there's at least one other that has a similar mindset.

I did actually set it up once, thought work might start frowning on it so slapped it back into excel!

I'm a big proponent of the DIKW hierarchy. Working backwards, one cannot achieve wisdom without first gaining knowledge which itself is rooted in information ... drawn from data. Data is the foundation. Another way of saying it is, the devil is in the detail.

For me the razor of the year is Karve overlander which is definitely the best razor for daily shave I've tried so far. It got even better when I plated it in nickel. Honourable mention goes to Lambda razor which is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen. It is great shaver but I haven't used it that much to dethrone Overlander.

The best soap I've discovered and used this year is @BrianH 's signature soap. Simply astonishing soap.

Blade of the year goes to the Shick proline single edge that I've used with razorock hawk V3. Smooth, sharp and long lasting.

Brush of the year choice goes to my TSR limited edition barber style handle with cashmere knot.

Aftershave of the year is my most used one and that it Dendi pure aftershave splash, unscented aftershave from our local artisan.

Happy new year to everyone and more great shaves in new year.
Thank you my friend

Razor: I would have said the Occams Oren as this is the razor for my blade choice, but as well as lending me this @Mike Smart Smart also lent me a Fasan slant and I'm besotted. We have agreed in principle I can have that or one like it from his collection in exchange for some of my blades and other goodies.
Blade: As above, the best blades I've tried so far would be the Feather Pro Guard, Professional and Kai Captain Pro Mild or whatever it's called. The one with the guard bars on it.
Soap: Another fan of SigNature soaps (@BrianH ). Truly excellent performing soaps with great scents and fair prices, plus generous sample sizes. I plan to get a sample of Novus Spice before 2023 is out.
Cream: the return of @SoapAlchemist 's Nanny's cream of the croap Moroccan Sandsfor the same reasons.
Cologne: I was generously gifted most of a bottle of Captain Fawcett's Maharaja from @Satanfriendly and then acquired a sample set of six scents for xmas. I'm hooked on the Maharaja and the 8836 scent sample. The latter will definitely be a birthday purchase early next year.

I plan to a have (near) year of abstinence in 2024... this time also in shaving matters as that's not imposed upon me :-D I have worked out a few theme months (or weeks if it becomes a chore) so I can enjoy my existing kit without collecting another warehouse of paraphernalia.

All the best to you good folks out there. Please pray for my wallet.
Thank you, it’s appreciated.

30 December

Best razor:
DE; Blackland Blackbird (looks to die for) or Tatara Masamune Nodachi (function and form) honourable mention Merkur slants (just because)
SE; Blackland Vector (I’ve tried nothing better)

Best blade:
DE; Feather Hi-Stainless (sharp) or Treet Platinum (smooth)
SE; Schick Proline P30 (sharp and smooth)

Best brush:
Simpson Chubby 2 Platinum Fibre (great synthetic that feels like a Chubby)

Best soap:
Signature Soaps Capra Deva (excellence in a tin)

Best cream:
Simpsons Luxury Shaving Cream (it so is)

Best splash:
Signature Soaps Hibernia splash (just loved it)

Best balm:
Bart’s Balm Ben Nevis (love the new glass bottle)

Best scent:
Chanel Bleu parfum (just my favourite ever)

Suit you sir?
Thank you, it’s appreciated

Let's do this again ...

What has been your kit of the year?

Maybe it's what you've used most. Perhaps something you discovered this year? Whatever you like, let's hear it ...

Me? Well, my most consistently used kit has been various Gillette Trac-II type razors and vintage II cartridges with this year's discovery that I much prefer foam over gel.

Razor: Muhle Rocca < same as last year ... clearly my favourite razor with the Gillette Hybrid Tech right in its slipstream
Blade: Statum Platinum Chrome < truly top-tier stuff hiding in quite ordinary packaging
Brush: Omega 10108 Pure Bristle < gift from @donnie_arko ... much thanks, pal! All the best for the coming year.
Soap: MWF Reformulation < mostly for the drama ... highly contentious, but a really good soap replaced a truly great soap
Aftershave: Boots Albany < I found a good vintage bottle to accompany the vintage soap that I have
Wildcard: Flying Eagle razor blade < truly, truly, truly horrible ... but, if you want to try the vintage Gillette Blues and don't want to risk the tetanus
Attar: Al Aneeq Fakhrul Oud < if Quorum was an attar? Absolutely not a smell-alike, but folks who appreciate both will know what I'm saying' yo

We had a lot of fun this year with a few themed months and a few that I joined in were Fat February, Milky May and the very excellent Tech June-kies. Let's do more of those this year, eh?

All the best for the coming year, folks!

I had a look at my spreadsheet (oh yes I keep one!)

Razor - Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech
Brush - Omega 10077
Blade - Gillette Platinum Light Blue
Soap - The Fat
AS - Brut

A pretty solid but old school list of items it seems.

This year my favourite kit was used most of the time —

Razor: Feather WSD2, just sublime, and the Gillette English Flare Tip Rocket, quality shaving and stupendous engineering.

Blades: Feathers in the WSD2 and ASCO Orange, Silver Star, Sharks or Rapira SS in the Rocket.

Brush: Ease of use, familiarity and low maintenance was the priority for brush use this year. Four brushes hogged the limelight, Omega boars (011829 or 10290), Omega Eco Synthetic and the little 19mm Muhle STF. Badgers, Mixies and Horse remained mostly stabled.

Soap: Rotated Shulton’s Old Spice, Vitos Extra Super Coco and Tabac.

Afterhave: Always Thayers Witch Hazel usually followed by copious quantities of Williams in the summer and Prorasso Sandalwood in the winter.

Other razors did get an outing from time to time but the Feather and the Rocket have become firm favourites by a country mile.

OK, for me it's

Preshave - Wright's Traditional Soap
Razor - Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Blade - Big Ben (Blue)
Brush - Highlander TSR LE Walnut and Boar
Lather - Nivea Liquid Shaving Cream
Splash - Tabac

The razor was a hard choice. I have changed my kit up a lot through the year and everything I have now is fantastic. I decided on the 3ONE6 as I think it's a great balance of price, looks, quality and performance. A "head" choice. "Heart" still says R41 GS or possibly Karve CB...

Last edited:
IMG_0442.jpeg
This is my kit of the year.
The Oren isn’t for everyone & understandably,
Everyone to their own,
it would be a weird world if we all liked the same.
Paired with the Pro Guard for me it’s the best shave i ever get bar none.
There’s bbs & there’s bbs and wow this is the best for me.
The brush from Highlander is perfect,
Everything i like in a Brush.
If i had to use one brush for the rest of my life,
this would be it.
i had many soaps/creams to choose from,
so many favourites but the one scent that stood out was the West Indian Limes.
I can’t see anything beating this lot in 2024 but as we all know anything can happen.
All the best lads

Tops of 2023:

Razor: Stainless Karve CB with D-SB plate. I had my brass CB gold plated in 2023 and it's beautifully ostentatious but the stainless razor is still better.

Brush: My Highlander brushes. I can't choose one. I love them all!

Soap: OSP - still king for me. I also discovered Moon Soaps in 2023 which work very well.
We can only hope James Riley makes a return

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Both products never fail to deliver. The Valobra soap is rich in tallow, glycerin and lanolin.
Myrsol Emulsion is a wonder product. As well as working superbly both before and after a shave, if worse comes to worse, you can actually get a decent shave with this alone, thanks to the stearic acid, glycerin, and lanolin.

Brush: Zenith 3-band Manchurian Badger
I picked up this brush at a great price in a sale. A top quality brush in every facet - it has a very comfortable handle, enough backbone for triple-milled soaps, yet with decent splay for face lathering. The tips are very soft, and it has classic lines. I can imagine an Italian Barber using this brush at home for special occasions.

Soap: Bartigan & Stark Timberyard
Small Canadian Artisan - great soap. Lathers easily and very slick and protective; a base with both vegetable oils and tallow, plus glycerin, lanolin, and other skin-friendly goodies. The real kicker is the scent; the woods are warm and welcoming, with a refreshing herbaceous resinous quality. Very uplifting.

Razor: Blutt BR-1
I like this razor so much that I actually own two, one with the original deep-knurl handle, and another in the current configuration. I have both the 0.86mm and 1.20mm plates. The 0.86mm is perfect if shaving daily; the 1.20mm for heavier growth. However, I would be comfortable using the 1.20mm as a daily driver, with a light touch, as it is very tactile. Both plates are remarkably smooth and precise.
An understated but meticulous design that reflects its Swiss heritage.

Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Ultra (Made in Holland)
Everything that is great about the golden era of blades. Very sharp, very smooth, effortless in cutting efficiency, and lasts for at least 10 shaves.

Wow - was this a surprise. A most unique product. Alcohol-based, but I totally get why they call it a tonic.
Very refreshing and great face feel, thanks to the witch hazel, glycerin, and neem oil.
Anise, tobacco, leather, Bay Rum, and barber’s talc are unlikely fragrance bedfellows, but it works brilliantly.
The scent performs closer to a cologne than an aftershave. I skip fragrance when I use this product, but no loss, as the scent is so good.
It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

Scent: Creed Original Vetiver EdP
A Creed scent that actually lives up to the hype. Clean, classy, soapy, versatile. Decent sillage and longevity.
The subtle Ambergris and Musk base notes are a perfect balance for the freshness of the citrus and warm woods.
You literally cannot go wrong with this fragrance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom