Kiehl’s White Eagle Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this already, but here goes:

This was another attempt to find a decent brushless cream as an alternative to using my electric shaver when I'm short of time. Kiehl's is well known and I'd seen this recommended in quite a few places.

The company has been around since 1851, starting as an apothecary. They're now owned by L'Oreal and offer a host of long and oddly-named shaving creams, both for brush and brushless.

This version contains menthol and camphor (they also offer unscented). I got a subtle fragrance, but to my nose it was more medicinal than anything else, like something you'd use to treat nappy rash or eczema. Not a good fragrance but I only ever got the briefest hint as I applied the cream before it vanished.

I didn't get much of a hit from the menthol either, but thought I got a slight cooling sensation on a few of the shaves.

I was told to apply a small (‘five pence piece') amount of cream by the sales assistant. That certainly seemed to be enough, though not sure I would do so without applying some water first, despite the bottle suggesting no water is needed.

In fact, slickness seemed to benefit enormously from a drop of water and applying some for my subsequent passes provided the best results.

Obviously this didn't benefit from the usual number of passes and numerous touch-ups, but I only really skipped one pass. It also lacked the brush to help stand the bristles up, etc. So it's probably unfair to hold it to the same high standard.

It therefore comes as no surprise that it didn't achieve the same heights as traditional soaps and creams, but I was still quite impressed. I never got a great shave but was generally able to get a pretty good one — at least as good as my electric shaver, and the results lasted longer.

Dropping a pass, not having to build a lather and savings in clean-up made it faster too, albeit not as quick as an electric shave.

It's not expensive, but it's towards the higher end of the price spectrum. The fact that you can use so little for each shave means it goes a long way though, so it does offer good value. They also offer a smaller size that would be good for travelling.

I didn't get the greatest shaves from it, but I wasn't expecting to. What I did get was a faster shave that still offered good results. Which is what I was looking for. While it won't compete with the best, I'd say this was a reasonable competitor to a number of creams and soaps that do require a brush.

Full review here.

Back
Top Bottom