Keeping an edge on a straight

Well If you use 3 razors they will all get used approximately about twice a week each razor so they should complete about just over a 100 shaves a year each, now if they are honed correctly and the user is very competent at stropping the razor he should be able to get 50 to 100 shaves out of the razor, so at most you will need the razors honed max twice a year maybe once, so unless you are thinking of restoring a straight razor get yourself a 12K stone and send them out and get them honed proffesionally and use the 12K when needs be.
Thanks Jamie, I have a 10k Norton that I use, followed by balsa, 0.5 CrO, 0.1 FeO followed by stropping. I'm only just getting the hang of stropping and feel that I'm now getting the fine edge that gives a smooth tug free shave. That's my main test of whether I'm doing it well or not.
Maybe it is a stropping issue too then.

Hi Irfan, hope you are keeping well. I use standard olive oil, mineral oil is the common go to. I thought it could be down to oxidisation, I do try and keep the edge as dry as possible and store them with silica packs, but sometimes I don't dry them to the extent I should.

Either way Jamie and Rob are much better sources of information than myself on straights. Out of interest I have very thick stubble, could this have a larger bearing?

Hi Irfan, hope you are keeping well. I use standard olive oil, mineral oil is the common go to. I thought it could be down to oxidisation, I do try and keep the edge as dry as possible and store them with silica packs, but sometimes I don't dry them to the extent I should.

Either way Jamie and Rob are much better sources of information than myself on straights. Out of interest I have very thick stubble, could this have a larger bearing?
I'm doing pretty well thanks, it's took me this long to get my stropping to a serviceable level.
I'm not quite so careful with my storage as you, I just give them a careful wipe with my towel and then put them in the spare room. I'm trying not to be too fussy with my razors because, as much as I enjoy straight shaving, I want to make this a part of my daily routine without it being a fastidious chore.
Having said that, my current experimenting with MWF is turning into a fairly obsessive pastime.
I've got tough stubble too, I can do a convincing hobo impression in around a week. I appreciate that'll make a difference too.
I'm using abrasive powder on balsa too before I get tempted to go to the stone, which I'm seeing as normal routine maintenance. I guess my thinking is that if the Kropp that you honed for me six months ago is as smooth as when you first honed it, then I'm doing something right, and I'm trying to establish why the Flic that I honed (10k) myself up to a good shaving standard is losing its edge so quickly. I think the guys are right, maybe, despite my efforts, it needs the bevel setting which I can't do without getting more stones.

I think it is essential to get a loupe. Without this it really is a part guessing game. They only cost a few quid of the internet and may give you, or with your input help us give you a better idea as to why they are dulling. I say my razors do dull but that is as Jamie says after about a year (perhaps just under), however in that year they are perhaps used approx 10 times each.

As of current I am getting a fantastic straight razor feel with some of my stainless DE razors, so now I only use straights to mow off a month or so old beard.

I think it is essential to get a loupe. Without this it really is a part guessing game. They only cost a few quid of the internet and may give you, or with your input help us give you a better idea as to why they are dulling. I say my razors do dull but that is as Jamie says after about a year (perhaps just under), however in that year they are perhaps used approx 10 times each.

As of current I am getting a fantastic straight razor feel with some of my stainless DE razors, so now I only use straights to mow off a month or so old beard.
I'll get a loupe, you're right, they are only a few quid, and maybe that'll help.
That's interesting that you reckon ten shaves before honing for you. Maybe I'm not doing that bad after all? I'd prefer the 50 to 100 that Jamie mentioned.

It should definitely not be just 10 shaves to be honest. Jamie is a better source for sure with the figures given. I think I need to re-address my storage and drying technique.

I don't use any oil for my rotation straights - but I do have a kangaroo strop that I added some Ballistol to and I use that after shaving. Stropping after shaving means the edge is clean before you put it away and, of course, it's protected by the oil it picks up from the strop.

@Irfan - I'll drop you a pm with my address - send your razor and I'll take a look and do a full honing progression - that way it will establish whether it merely a honing issue as opposed to the razor itself.

I always oil. My rotation is such that it can take a year between two shaves with the same straight and I live near the coast which means salty and humid air. Not a good combination where carbonsteel is involved.

With the number of razors you have that's completely understandable.

Incidentally, with Ballistol oil you don't have to be too careful about removing it before use, it's perfectly harmless on skin so a quick rinse under the tap is all that's needed.

I dry my razors off after shaving then strop them, I then apply a light coating 3M Siliccone spray with no petrolium products also very good for plastics, having said this I never really get my blade very wet just lather which I wipe off on a flannel, I also never pick my razor up with damp hands, and please never run your razor under a running tap especially the pivot area.

Last edited:
I don't use any oil for my rotation straights - but I do have a kangaroo strop that I added some Ballistol to and I use that after shaving. Stropping after shaving means the edge is clean before you put it away and, of course, it's protected by the oil it picks up from the strop.

@Irfan - I'll drop you a pm with my address - send your razor and I'll take a look and do a full honing progression - that way it will establish whether it merely a honing issue as opposed to the razor itself.
Thanks!

I dry my razors off after shaving then strop them, I then apply a light coating 3M Siliccone spray with no petrolium products also very good for plastics, having said this I never really get my blade very wet just lather which I wipe off on a flannel, I also never pick my razor up with damp hands, and please never run your razor under a running tap especially the pivot area.
I always run my razor under running water. I assumed that moisture, especially during shaving is normal, wet face, wet lather. I try to make sure that it's thoroughly dry after use before leaving it in the spare room. I'm learning every day.

On the Dutch forum there's a guy who uses a hairdryer on his straights before storing them. I'm tempted to follow his example :)
If you've got lots of razors, I reckon it makes good sense, especially if some of your razors go a year before being used again. They need to be stored in the best possible conditions.
My razors are being handled every couple of days, so I'll try to be a bit more careful with the drying process.

The hairdryer is for the scales. Never store celluloid scales even slightly moist. That can cause celluloidrot, which is unpleasant because it smells bad, and even more unpleasant because the fumes have a very corroding effect on metal. Since the razorblade, when stored, is enclosed by the celluloid scales this means your razor will rot.

I like the idea of Ballistol oil. For years I've been using straight forward 3-in-1 oil and never had any issues.
I tried the hair drier method and was a bit of a faff tbh.
After a shave I run it under hot water for a little bit. Dry it with toilet paper including inside scales. Quick strop and a drop of oil. Job done.
Works a treat from 150yr + W&B to new Mastro Livi Carbon Damascus steel.

Back
Top Bottom